Health & Wellness

looking for a dentist who practises 'conservative dentistry'

[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
45 posts
4 upvotes

looking for a dentist who practises 'conservative dentistry'

When I was in the states, I had a root amputation/root recession treatment which was successful. This is done when a root canal goes bad and you still want to save the tooth. I now have to get a crown.

I moved back to Toronto. My dentist who did the surgery advised me to go for only conservative dentist or prosthodontist for my crown treatment aka someone who believes in saving natural teeth. I see now why he said that. I've seen two top dentists in Toronto who are just keen to take the tooth out. They've told me implant is the only way and I was foolish to go for such a conservative treatment in the first place.
They do not want to crown the tooth because according to them the tooth will just break from the pressure.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a conservative dentist/prosthodontist in the GTA area? I am open to driving out of city as well if someone can recommend a good dentist who believes in saving natural tooth.
3 replies
Jun 13, 2009
729 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
I unfortunately do not know of any. I am curious to know why you are accepting the advice of the dentist(I presume the individual in the states was a dentist or orthodontist) in the states, over the opinions of the two top dentists you saw in Toronto, if you care to share.

Edit: "Conservative" dentistry appears to be known as "Restorative" dentistry in Canada. There is a professional organization in Canada for restorative dentistry: Canadian Academy of Restorative Dentistry and Prosthodontics (CARDP) - They have a directory to "Find a Dentist": https://cardp.ca/find-a-dentist/
[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
45 posts
4 upvotes
Jruuu wrote: I unfortunately do not know of any. I am curious to know why you are accepting the advice of the dentist(I presume the individual in the states was a dentist or orthodontist) in the states, over the opinions of the two top dentists you saw in Toronto, if you care to share.

Edit: "Conservative" dentistry appears to be known as "Restorative" dentistry in Canada. There is a professional organization in Canada for restorative dentistry: Canadian Academy of Restorative Dentistry and Prosthodontics (CARDP) - They have a directory to "Find a Dentist": https://cardp.ca/find-a-dentist/
Thank you. To address your question, well firstly, nothing against Canadian dentists or belittling them in anyway. Knowing the amount of research I put into this, it was my decision to go for the unconventional treatment, knowing the risks of course. The treatment is so unconventional that most dentists are just not familiar with it anymore. Unfortunately, the only recommend they advise in such cases is extraction. However, what the don't understand is that the only reason I went the unconventional route is so I do not have to go through an extraction.
Also, this is way more common than you would think but a dentist or a doctor could tell you one thing but another professional would tell you the complete opposite. That's why they say to get multiple opinions.

Thank you so much for the link. I will check it out.
Jun 13, 2009
729 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
jonmarrow wrote: Thank you. To address your question, well firstly, nothing against Canadian dentists or belittling them in anyway. Knowing the amount of research I put into this, it was my decision to go for the unconventional treatment, knowing the risks of course. The treatment is so unconventional that most dentists are just not familiar with it anymore. Unfortunately, the only recommend they advise in such cases is extraction. However, what the don't understand is that the only reason I went the unconventional route is so I do not have to go through an extraction.
Also, this is way more common than you would think but a dentist or a doctor could tell you one thing but another professional would tell you the complete opposite. That's why they say to get multiple opinions.

Thank you so much for the link. I will check it out.
I recommend checking with the University of Toronto Dental school(There is someone in the directory working at UofT). I think the procedure you are asking for might be of academic interest to someone at the university. The school conducts dental procedures (Profs. supervise students), so I think it would be a great place to start.