Computers & Electronics

Looking to drop Bell internet and home phone - HELP!

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2019 2:07 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2019
3 posts

Looking to drop Bell internet and home phone - HELP!

Bell's cost is ridiculous for my internet and landline (or fibre - not sure which) phone line. I thought about switching to internet/VOIP from Ebox, but since I am not in their local calling area (English part of town), so phone service will cost me $29.95 per month.

I am the only user. I play some games and surf the internet and make mainly local calls with occasional long distance to Ontario for a minute or 2 (family there has a free plan). I probably end up streaming something in the future. I am thinking about going with Ebox internet and finding a VOIP service, but no idea which one would be good for me. I did some searches and voip.ms, freephoneline and Ooma showed up here but had trouble figuring out which, if any would be good for me.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17102 posts
3355 upvotes
Toronto
I have been using freephoneline.ca for a few years with no issues on an Obihai obi200. They have absolutely no support and I have never needed their support. Any issues I had were solved through Google searches.
[OP]
May 5, 2019
3 posts
Regarding VOIP, does is matter if I am in Montreal as opposed to Toronto?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33307 posts
7006 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ranger101 wrote: Regarding VOIP, does is matter if I am in Montreal as opposed to Toronto?
Makes no difference. If you are the only user, I suggest you just get a good cell plan and forgo VoIP
[OP]
May 5, 2019
3 posts
Gee wrote: Makes no difference. If you are the only user, I suggest you just get a good cell plan and forgo VoIP
I don't use my cell much except for short calls ($100 a year plan) and I'd want to have a backup in case I lose my cell or it breaks as I had a mild cardiac event a few years ago.
Jun 21, 2008
538 posts
140 upvotes
mississauga
correct me if i'm wrong but i see the following startup costs for voip.ms
1. setup and minimum deposit 15 US dollars
2. need an ATA (i used a Cisco spa122)
3. handset
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33307 posts
7006 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jensen1 wrote: correct me if i'm wrong but i see the following startup costs for voip.ms
1. setup and minimum deposit 15 US dollars
2. need an ATA (i used a Cisco spa122)
3. handset
Any provider you choose (even free ones) will have some startup costs
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35253 posts
21230 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ooma, simple plug and play at $4.85/month, unlimited Canada, caller ID etc..