• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 6:09 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
153 posts
44 upvotes
Canada

Looking for a durable new laptop with a 13-14” display

I’m hoping to spend around $1000 or less. I have a desktop for more intensive tasks. It would be nice if it comes with an Ethernet jack, but that is not a dealbreaker.

I prioritize build quality, weight, typing experience and port selection.

Ideas include:

X1 Carbon 7th generation

ThinkPad T480s

Dell Latitude

Acer Swift 3
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1470 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
Just so long as you look at business-class laptops, everything that you are looking for should be pretty easy to find especially if you are looking at the T Series if you want to keep it under $1000 though I would spend the money on upgrading the screen.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14505 posts
2994 upvotes
Toronto
Your budget and the reality are not inline.

Do you want a good screen, backlit keyboard, decent network, solid construction, and reliable? It won't be $1000 and if you find it, you would be kicking yourself for not spending more and getting the right thing.

I use a business grade dell laptop with 14" screen. It is not the latest and is still more than $1000.

I think $1300 to $1500 would be a better price point.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4356 posts
1378 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm shopping for a new business laptop as well. I agree with the others that under $1000 for good build quality and port selection in a new or previous generation business class unit is not realistic. I'm budgeting $1500 to 2000 and am hoping to keep it for 6 years - I also get to write off the cost against my taxes.

I've played with the ACER Swift 3 and its' build quality and screen would be acceptable to me. Its' RAM, storage, and ports in the under $1000 units do not meet my criteria.

Build quality is important but with caveats - a chassis with rigidity and not much flex in the keyboard while typing and while closed up is desirable but the keyboard for me is not so important. Most of the time my current laptop is closed up on a desk connected to an external monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I make 6 to 8 trips a year where the unit is going to be actively used on battery sitting in airports and abused on hotel room desks under poor lighting connected to crappy WiFi.

Most of the under $1000 units just don't have the storage on board that I need to hold 20+ years of digital client history that I want with me when I'm on the road for a week or two. 256GB of main drive is not enough. My experience with Win10 is that after 3 years there has to be at least 160GB in the primary C drive partition for my laptop and more on my desktop. I like to partition my drive(s) and have my data on D: . Most laptops also have a hidden partition holding ~20G OEM data. 80G on D: is not enough for me hence a 512G or 1TB SSD is preferred.

I'm leaning to having a Thunderbolt USB-C type 40Gbps port for expandability in the next laptop. Which means I'll be buying a unit with an Intel CPU so paying a premium over the very interesting new AMD Ryzen units now coming into the market. I also want a laptop with 16G RAM or if 8G soldered to the MB like so many, to have at least one RAM slot available for addition of RAM. Likewise for the storage - an M.2 2280 SSD slot but preferably two. The screen has to have near to 100% sRGB gamut coverage for the minor amount of photo editing I do when traveling. Too many under $1000 units have screens with ~ 60% sRGB coverage.

I've played with the LG Gram 17 at Costco and know there is a 15 inch version which would suit me better. Very light weight, build is adequate, has a Thunderbolt port on some/most models, long battery life, 96% sRGB gamut coverage for my photo editing, price (on sale) is in my range. It gets criticized in some reviews that its' benchmarks are lower than other similar spec'd units but from my perspective I'm not using it for gaming and it will be substantially faster than the laptop I'm currently using. Linus recently posted a video with some interesting comments made while comparing various size Gram's to other laptops he has recently used.

Aug 31, 2020
4 posts
Id go for the asus tuf series

I just got one with high specs ryzen 7 512gb ssd 16gb ddr4 ram and a gtx 1650

You can find one retail for about 1100 with a 250gb ssd and 8gb version.

Im now selling it for $1000 only to switch to a 120hz panel.

I know a bit picky but I like VA Panels but they are not available in laptops so the higher refresh seems to get close.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
How do you define durable?
There's a reason Panasonic Toughbooks are a thing.

Business class are better, but still won't survive drops that well.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
153 posts
44 upvotes
Canada
I'm looking for a durable 13-14" laptop that costs $800-$1100. Sorry for the large range in price.

One laptop I am considering is the Acer Swift 3 4700u model that is $899. However, I fear it doesn't have the best build quality and lacks upgradable RAM. That said, I do not need more than 8GB given my current needs.

I am also looking at the X1 Carbon 7th Gen but I am waiting for price drop... I don't really need such a premium computer either.

I only need 120GB SSD.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1739 posts
181 upvotes
COU
redflagdealsnewb wrote: I'm looking for a durable 13-14" laptop that costs $800-$1100. Sorry for the large range in price.

One laptop I am considering is the Acer Swift 3 4700u model that is $899. However, I fear it doesn't have the best build quality and lacks upgradable RAM. That said, I do not need more than 8GB given my current needs.

I am also looking at the X1 Carbon 7th Gen but I am waiting for price drop... I don't really need such a premium computer either.

I only need 120GB SSD.
I think they are getting to the end of X1 7th gen availability. There are limited configurations available, but your need for only 8GB will help. I suspect the 16GB will go first.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4356 posts
1378 upvotes
Vancouver
I just don't know how anyone can operate a Windows 10 PC and only require a 120GB SSD. Browsing and Email only?

Jul 16, 2019
518 posts
285 upvotes
redflagdealsnewb wrote: I’m hoping to spend around $1000 or less. I have a desktop for more intensive tasks. It would be nice if it comes with an Ethernet jack, but that is not a dealbreaker.

I prioritize build quality, weight, typing experience and port selection.

Ideas include:

X1 Carbon 7th generation

ThinkPad T480s

Dell Latitude

Acer Swift 3
Based on your criteria, I would suggest that the brands/chassis that would fit your description include Dell XPS, HP Envy/Spectre, Lenovo X1/Thinkpad and Asus Zenbook.
There have been a few threads on these models with the HP Envy and Asus Spectre being the only ones that would be in your $1000 budget.