Home & Garden

Looking for a electric range for ~$1000. Which brand is most reliable?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 7:13 pm
[OP]
Oct 2, 2016
493 posts
175 upvotes

Looking for a electric range for ~$1000. Which brand is most reliable?

I am planning to buy a new electric range to replace my current one which runs fine but it is getting dirty and glass top is cracked. I have done some research online and find some quite contradictory reviews about different brands.

Samsung seems to sell a lot but reviews under each product is usually a 40%/60% mix of 5 star and 1 stars. It seems people have quite extreme experience with samsung products. This scares me since I do like a few Samsung ranges with sleek design and affordable price. But those 1 star reviews said they tend to stop working within 1-2 years. My personal experience with Samsung electronics is not the most pleasant so I am hesitated. Even on professional product review websites, Samsung got mixed review as well. Some call it one of the most reliable brand, while others say stay away from it.

GE and Whirlpool are often described as "old fashioned" and "out of date". But their product reviews seems OK and on professional product review websites they are consistently the most reliable brands based on repair number/items sold.

LG and other brands are less mentioned so I am really not sure.

I really want some input and advice from RFDers since I trust users here to be real customers rather than paid brand promoters. I would like to know the most reliable brand, despite design and function, since I will mostly be using the cook top rather than the oven. If you have a specific model number to share, that's even better! Thank you all in advance.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5743 posts
2530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The absence of an electronic panel would be a big plus for me (though a hard one to fulfill). That's the first thing to go, and there are some brands (not cheap ones either) that strongly recommend not using the self-cleaning oven feature as it will fry the circuit panel in short order. The other thing not to get, apparently, are coloured oven liners and only one brand (Thermador IIRC) has got it right.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
My GE from 2004 and my parents have the same model from 2002 in a different colour has been bullet proof. Mine is black and theirs white and the glass cooktop looks showroom new on both.

The only problem is... none of that is actually helpful. The day after I got mine they might have switched out parts etc to make it cheaper and now its garbage. Its really hard, even within a model year, to be sure they didnt make changes.

My Kitchenaid fridge circa 2004 mid model year they went from a 10 year to 5 year compressor warranty.
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes
Stay away from Samsung appliances, they are junk, LG isn't too far behind. In my opinion Whirpool is the most reliable brand, it may not be "cutting edge" but it won't break after 5 years.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2416 posts
844 upvotes
Mississauga
From experience I would never buy a Samsung no matter how cool or sleek it looks.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3647 posts
2597 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
zhaobinis1 wrote: I would like to know the most reliable brand, despite design and function, since I will mostly be using the cook top rather than the oven.
There is no "reliable brand".
Average life expectancy of so call "durable goods" (fridges, stoves, dishwashers, washer/dryers), is seven years. You can buy one brand's Model X and it will last twelve years, but if you buy the same brand's model "Y", it will die 30 days past the warranty.

My Whirlpool Gold fridge's defrost microprocessor board shit the bed in 18 months; $1200 fridge now with an additional $285 value added. One year later the plastic solenoid valve for the ice maker split and flooded my basement. $150 for the part (which I replaced myself), and $1000 worth of drywall repairs.
My brother has a Whirlpool dishwasher that is on its third major repair in two years. The ice maker on my neighbour's five year old, beautiful looking, $2800 Samsung refrigerator with french doors and bottom freezer, stopped working , so it went the scrapyard because there were no parts available globally.

Any recommendations for brand/model you get from RFD people are going to be for something that is 5+ years old, and the model likely discontinued, or are the one unicorn that didn't die while 99% of the others did.
Sorry to seem so cynical, but this is the reality of major home appliances today.
Aug 29, 2019
720 posts
302 upvotes
Jerico wrote: My GE from 2004 and my parents have the same model from 2002 in a different colour has been bullet proof. Mine is black and theirs white and the glass cooktop looks showroom new on both.

The only problem is... none of that is actually helpful. The day after I got mine they might have switched out parts etc to make it cheaper and now its garbage. Its really hard, even within a model year, to be sure they didnt make changes.

My Kitchenaid fridge circa 2004 mid model year they went from a 10 year to 5 year compressor warranty.
GE makes great basic appliances. The stuff lasts and works as it should and is priced well. If you can forgo the fancy bells and whistles and just want simple and reliable appliances, I've found I have never been let down by GE.
Aug 29, 2019
720 posts
302 upvotes
zhaobinis1 wrote: I am planning to buy a new electric range to replace my current one which runs fine but it is getting dirty and glass top is cracked. I have done some research online and find some quite contradictory reviews about different brands.

Samsung seems to sell a lot but reviews under each product is usually a 40%/60% mix of 5 star and 1 stars. It seems people have quite extreme experience with samsung products. This scares me since I do like a few Samsung ranges with sleek design and affordable price. But those 1 star reviews said they tend to stop working within 1-2 years. My personal experience with Samsung electronics is not the most pleasant so I am hesitated. Even on professional product review websites, Samsung got mixed review as well. Some call it one of the most reliable brand, while others say stay away from it.

GE and Whirlpool are often described as "old fashioned" and "out of date". But their product reviews seems OK and on professional product review websites they are consistently the most reliable brands based on repair number/items sold.

LG and other brands are less mentioned so I am really not sure.

I really want some input and advice from RFDers since I trust users here to be real customers rather than paid brand promoters. I would like to know the most reliable brand, despite design and function, since I will mostly be using the cook top rather than the oven. If you have a specific model number to share, that's even better! Thank you all in advance.
$1000 range
Maytag
Fridgidaire

$800 or less
GE
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: GE makes great basic appliances. The stuff lasts and works as it should and is priced well. If you can forgo the fancy bells and whistles and just want simple and reliable appliances, I've found I have never been let down by GE.
My parents GE fridge had all kinds of circuit breaker issues though. And my brother washing machine too. Stove is great though.

Edit: circuit board not breaker