• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 11:36 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
421 posts
257 upvotes
GTA

Looking for Face Shields in GTA

Know where I can buy comfortable ones in GTA? Looking for my parents.

Please don't tell me or debate the necessity or effectiveness of face shields - I don't care.

Thanks!
17 replies
Mar 6, 2015
690 posts
50 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: https://starkmans.com/disposable-faceshield-bag-10.html
Don't know how comfortable they are, but they're softer than the ones from Amazon.
Links only
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5997 posts
1891 upvotes
Thornhill
SKill7 wrote: Know where I can buy comfortable ones in GTA? Looking for my parents.

Please don't tell me or debate the necessity or effectiveness of face shields - I don't care.

Thanks!
It's not a debate...and you should care about it, since it's your parents. There are studies/tests clearly showing how ineffective they are indoors. They "sort of" work outdoors and for a very short duration indoors. All of this can be found via googling with very little effort. No need to listen to friends, public or news. It's there if you want to know the truth.
Lots of studies were done in the last 15 years. N95 is one of the best thing you can buy if you really care about someone getting the virus via airborne transmission. Not surgical masks nor shields.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
421 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
dazz wrote: It's not a debate...and you should care about it, since it's your parents. There are studies/tests clearly showing how ineffective they are indoors. They "sort of" work outdoors and for a very short duration indoors. All of this can be found via googling with very little effort. No need to listen to friends, public or news. It's there if you want to know the truth.
Lots of studies were done in the last 15 years. N95 is one of the best thing you can buy if you really care about someone getting the virus via airborne transmission. Not surgical masks nor shields.
The truth is that it's one component of protecting oneself and if front line health care workers around the world are willing to wear them to save their own life, in addition to surgical masks/N95s, then that's pretty good for me (and my parents).

You can't force high risk seniors to wear N95s (which we have a bunch of). It'll probably end up choking them instead of protecting them lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=nurses+ ... 91&bih=997
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5997 posts
1891 upvotes
Thornhill
SKill7 wrote: The truth is that it's one component of protecting oneself and if front line health care workers around the world are willing to wear them to save their own life, in addition to surgical masks/N95s, then that's pretty good for me (and my parents).

You can't force high risk seniors to wear N95s (which we have a bunch of). It'll probably end up choking them instead of protecting them lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=nurses+ ... 91&bih=997
Take some of the info bellow from a person with lots of family members in various health care positions from nurses to doctors.

Nobody is forcing anyone to wear n95s. Heck, parents of one of my friends who are in their late 70 haven't been wearing anything and just don't care. They said if they die, they die. For those who want to live, there are certainly ways to help and some of those ways are much better than others. As long as facts are presented, everyone is free to choose what to do.

Google pictures is not a good source of "data". Though, they are clearly showing N95s in many of the images + a shield... One photo even seems to have a worker wearing N95 and then a surgical on top and then a shield...
Just because you search for something, doesn't mean the right photo will show up. Though many images are staged so I am surprised you are taking those as real data/proof of anything.

I see what you are saying and certainly a shield WITH a mask is much better. However, they will work if someone coughs/sneezes DIRECTLY at you or if you need to cough yourself. That's about it . In the real world, if you have a shield and a surgical mask and someone sneezes at you, you need to get those ppe off and remove yourself from that place/room, as within a short period you'll be breathing particles too. I mean, it's in the farts.. so technically, if you are in a store and someone with Cov19 farts, you can get it and your surgical mask and shield are 100% useless.

Medical workers wear surgical masks for many reasons and unfortunately cost is a huge factor why. Some hospital workers do wear N95s... Depends on a city, country, state, hospital, supplies,etc.
As supply is short and cost is about 25X higher for N95, they are using surgical masks instead. Many wear what they are given and in the beginning some had nothing... It has nothing to do with them being good. Hospitals literally ran out of mask in March, April so they used what they have and a number of them died, if you remember the news.
Staff have to change them constantly and not once a day or once a week/month as some of us. They can go through a few dozen of these in 1 shift. Very costly to throw them, this is why they even recently wanted to find ways to wash them to reuse again. The whole point of N95 is that it will filter and stop the virus particles while with the shield or/and a surgical mask, virus particles will eventually seep through the "breath holes".

Again, having the correct information is vital and what I said above is all in Google if you take 5 minutes to learn and educate yourself on these basics.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6386 posts
1205 upvotes
OP, I’ve seen them at Dollarama recently.
dazz wrote: It's not a debate...and you should care about it, since it's your parents. There are studies/tests clearly showing how ineffective they are indoors. They "sort of" work outdoors and for a very short duration indoors. All of this can be found via googling with very little effort. No need to listen to friends, public or news. It's there if you want to know the truth.
Care to share these studies that clearly show how ineffective face shields are indoors at protecting one’s eyes from droplets? You do realize that masks with built in eye shields are used regularly in the healthcare field when droplet/contact precautions are needed?
dazz wrote: I mean, it's in the farts.. so technically, if you are in a store and someone with Cov19 farts, you can get it and your surgical mask and shield are 100% useless.
:facepalm: Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5997 posts
1891 upvotes
Thornhill
amz155 wrote: OP, I’ve seen them at Dollarama recently.

Care to share these studies that clearly show how ineffective face shields are indoors at protecting one’s eyes from droplets? You do realize that masks with built in eye shields are used regularly in the healthcare field when droplet/contact precautions are needed?

:facepalm: Face With Tears Of Joy
Dude, you can find them, I am 100% sure in your skills. I am not asking anyone to believe me. It's all there. 100s of articles, with links to studies and so forth.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13071 posts
6871 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Not sure what policies exist out there but I’m required to wear a shield and a Level 3 mask throughout my shift, COVID patient or not. Or a shield, N95, and PPE gown/gear if performing an aerosol generating procedure. My mask doesn’t protect the rest of my face against propelled droplets.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5438 posts
1862 upvotes
GTEH!
I heard from other people some Costco locations sell face shields.
It's hit or miss. I personally haven't seen them at my local Costco.
😎
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
421 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter dazz

For those interested, the cpf is lightweight (can't imagine it being lighter) and easy to repair. The band is not adjustable but it's stapled to the plastic so you can just re-staple it for more/less tightness.

More details in link. $7 x 4 qty minimum = $28 + tax. Curbside pickup avail in Markham.
Images
  • 20200706_224717.jpg
  • 20200706_224701.jpg
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6386 posts
1205 upvotes
dazz wrote: Dude, you can find them, I am 100% sure in your skills. I am not asking anyone to believe me. It's all there. 100s of articles, with links to studies and so forth.
No, seriously, I can’t find anything to support your claims. I can’t find anything that confirms that shields do not protect the eyes from droplets (regardless of whether they’re worn indoors or outdoors as part of droplet precautions).
Jul 24, 2019
602 posts
734 upvotes
Canada
AncasterRFD wrote: Not sure what policies exist out there but I’m required to wear a shield and a Level 3 mask throughout my shift, COVID patient or not. Or a shield, N95, and PPE gown/gear if performing an aerosol generating procedure. My mask doesn’t protect the rest of my face against propelled droplets.
Sounds like you are exposed to both symptomatic and asymptomatic clients. Plus clients with other respiratory illnesses transmitted by either droplet or aerosol. Plus other blood and bodily fluids: vomitus, sweat etc
So the shield, in your case, is a PART of your personal protective equipment in a health care setting. Plus your shield is probably to acute care setting standards.

OP's request for face shield is not occurring in a acute care setting and is not for a health care worker, if I understood correctly. Not sure what standards over the counter face shield meets. Then, there's the cleaning problem and creation of micro pores that can harbour bacteria and viruses and spores..... Yikes!