• Jul 31st, 2020 11:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3862 posts
1342 upvotes
Belle River

Looking for a fast memory card reader mostly for writing

Just SD/microSD (I don't mind using adapters) would be acceptable but having other card compatibility would be nice. The ones I have are pretty old now and seems like they can't max out even lower end cards of today. Main reason is to write images to SD cards, like for Raspberry Pis, because they are often large and I'd like to knock some time off these long writes.

I looked at an SD card review site and their list of best reviewed card readers, then narrowed it down based on price, if they were not "laptop style" with no cord, and if I could actually find them in Canada. Narrowed it down to 2 but 1 had bad reviews so left me with just this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Delkin-UHS-II-Mem ... ics&sr=1-5

But I would appreciate any other deals or info or suggestions anyone might have.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7226 posts
7724 upvotes
Vancouver
You may be looking for the problem in the wrong place. You can sometimes improve read speed by getting a faster card reader, but the write speed of most flash memory cards is so slow that the card reader or USB interface is not going to be the problem. Card specs often say something like "100 Mbytes/sec speed", but in the fine print the write speed will be stated as something like 20 Mbyes/sec (* for short bursts), with an actual sustained write speed for big files like system images being more like 5 Mbytes/sec. Even a USB 2.0 interface can go up to 60 Mbytes/sec, so it's not likely to be the write bottleneck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3862 posts
1342 upvotes
Belle River
Gee wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-microSDH ... 00KX4TORI/
Kingston USB 3.0 reader / writer
Speed will depend on the microSD card obviously. Works well with both Etcher and WinDiskImager
I got mine on sale for 15$
Thanks but I need corded style for dekstop use, and adding a hub or extension would only create more uncertainty.
Scote64 wrote: You may be looking for the problem in the wrong place. You can sometimes improve read speed by getting a faster card reader, but the write speed of most flash memory cards is so slow that the card reader or USB interface is not going to be the problem. Card specs often say something like "100 Mbytes/sec speed", but in the fine print the write speed will be stated as something like 20 Mbyes/sec (* for short bursts), with an actual sustained write speed for big files like system images being more like 5 Mbytes/sec. Even a USB 2.0 interface can go up to 60 Mbytes/sec, so it's not likely to be the write bottleneck.
I use reviews for the cards to see what kinda speeds they are getting and compare to my own. Most recent one I was getting under 60Mb/s while the reviewer was getting almost 100Mb/s, however as you mentioned they probably aren't doing a long sustained write filling the entire card. Actually I think they might have done 1Gb writes to get those numbers.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7322 posts
3907 upvotes
Debtario
An RFDer recommended this one to me: TS-RDF5K, seems to be the best value when it's on sale ($10)

I'd avoided the corded readers, particularly if the USB cable is non-detachable. Just another point of failure, the added cost would be better spent on a USB3 hub instead.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35850 posts
9174 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hystavito wrote: Thanks but I need corded style for dekstop use, and adding a hub or extension would only create more uncertainty.
A corded reader is basically a reader with an extension cord.

The Kingston one is solid and you can add a USB 3.0 extension cord. If you’re concerned about speed, use a shorter cord. Another option would be a powered USB 3.0 hub

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)