• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 6:58 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for feedback on kitchen appliances

We're reno'ing our place and will be getting all new kitchen appliances. We're considering Jenn-Air, Thermidor and Miele.
We're looking at wall ovens, dishwasher, stove top & fridge.

Does anyone who owns these have any direct feedback? I've read varying reviews about all but won't mind hearing first had.
--
There is no happy ending
31 replies
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I have been sticking with the Whirlpool brands. The support, parts & service are easily available everywhere. Jenn-air is one of their brands. Had a Miele washer, awesome product. However, highly proprietary when it comes to support, service & parts. We I live it took 2 weeks to get parts, nobody in our small city would touch it. Expensive to fix. Whirlpool products have been around since I was born, I'm 57.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
Magoo61 wrote: I have been sticking with the Whirlpool brands. The support, parts & service are easily available everywhere. Jenn-air is one of their brands. Had a Miele washer, awesome product. However, highly proprietary when it comes to support, service & parts. We I live it took 2 weeks to get parts, nobody in our small city would touch it. Expensive to fix. Whirlpool products have been around since I was born, I'm 57.
I figured this as well when I was buying appliances (albeit IKEA appliances which are manufactured by Whirlpool BUT with a 5yr warranty)

I'm also leaning towards Electrolux for a washer just for the ease of service in case it breaks down
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
Whatever brand of fridge you go with unless you're going with a built-in, get a counter depth fridge!
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
105 posts
20 upvotes
I don't own any of the above brands, but I'm super happy with my dishwasher and would recommend it. It's a 39 db dishwasher, with 3 racks. It's very quiet and cleans extremely well. The only negative in my mind is that it's a bit industrial looking. The model is KDTE254ESS by Kitchenaid.
Jan 14, 2007
668 posts
281 upvotes
GTA North
Just over 2 years ago we installed all Jenn-Air appliances (built in Fridge, double oven, DW, range hood, gas cook-top)

To date all working well but the double oven did develop an issue in May 2017 just before the 2 year warranty was about up.
Called in, whirlpool sent a technician to assess and and ordered parts. (Oven was operational but would require restarts before getting to temp sometimes) The fix was covered under the warranty and cost $2K which was done in June. Turns out this did not fix the issue and the problem recurred in July (warranty now over). Called whirlpool again and since it was the same problem it was covered under the warranty. Replaced different parts in August which i think amounted to $1.5K. Oven works again and this fix seems to have worked. Can't recall what we paid for the double oven but it was in the $4k to $5K range.

In summary, we are happy with the Jenn-Air appliances. We are happy the warranty covered the cost of the repairs. Not sure what the future holds for this oven but it seems to be working fine again. Our other whirlpool appliances (washer/gas dryer) are going on 8 years with only the washer needing a repair once under warranty hence why we went with the manufacturer for the kitchen.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
i purchased all jenn-air kitchen appliances, look in my post history for model numbers, they have been very solid, but it hasn't even been two years yet. no complaints so far.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
336 upvotes
curious as to why you're not considering Wolf/Sub Zero line?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
Also forgot to add if you're going with a gas cooktop, I highly recommend 36" size or better yet go for 48" if you have the space Smiling Face With SunglassesOk Hand Sign Unless you are not changing your cabinets, counters etc.

And so far love my Miele dishwasher! We just replaced it and it's super quiet and love the 3rd rack Thumbs Up Sign
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote: Whatever brand of fridge you go with unless you're going with a built-in, get a counter depth fridge!
Thanks.
IMHIP2 wrote: Just over 2 years ago we installed all Jenn-Air appliances (built in Fridge, double oven, DW, range hood, gas cook-top)
[...]
In summary, we are happy with the Jenn-Air appliances. We are happy the warranty covered the cost of the repairs. Not sure what the future holds for this oven but it seems to be working fine again. Our other whirlpool appliances (washer/gas dryer) are going on 8 years with only the washer needing a repair once under warranty hence why we went with the manufacturer for the kitchen.
Thanks.
utopianbl wrote: curious as to why you're not considering Wolf/Sub Zero line?
Not specific reason. I see them on par with the others but pricier despite not being superior.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Brookside05 wrote: I'm also leaning towards Electrolux for a washer just for the ease of service in case it breaks down
I have the Electrolux washer and dryer pair. No complaints. Way better than the Samsung I had previously.
If you plan on buying them with the pedestals, let me know. I have an extra pair brand new.

I have a Miele dishwasher. Again, best dishwasher I've owned. Previous one was a Bosch.
Last edited by Gee on Oct 19th, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 15, 2011
485 posts
280 upvotes
Mississauga
I own the Thermador Pro Grand 48 and the Topaz dishwasher, and so far I am extremely happy with its performance. I found when I went over the details, and did a side by side comparison, the thermador beat out the wolf, and came in for slightly less as well. I have the fisher-paykel double fridge set up, and while I really love the energy efficiency and the quiet running, I find the ice maker a pain, and I don't like the shallow water dispenser. I have whirlpool cabrio washer and gas dryer, and they are workhorses, but I do wish the speed queen had more pleasing esthetics, because they have much better efficiency, and reliability.
Jul 14, 2009
38 posts
2 upvotes
richmond hill
Sylvestre, we have had our 36" Thermador gas range for over 2 years and are pleased with it with no issues so far. It's a well built and powerful stove with more BTUs than i ever need. We have the Topaz dishwasher that came with the stove and it's worked fine with no complaints. We didn't get the built in thermador fridge as it was out of our price range.

Something to keep in mind if you are choosing a gas range is to install adequate hood fan to accommodate the range.

if you have specific questions, let me know.
Dec 5, 2016
274 posts
56 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have the Electrolux washer and dryer pair. No complaints. Way better than the Samsung I had previously.
If you plan on buying them with the pedestals, let me know. I have an extra pair brand new.

I have a Meile dishwasher. Again, best dishwasher I've owned. Previous one was a Bosch.
Any big differences between the Miele and Bosch dishwashers? I was considering a Bosch as I've heard they are quiet and also have the 3rd rack.
Also is the price for a Miele similar to the Bosch?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alucky17 wrote: Any big differences between the Miele and Bosch dishwashers? I was considering a Bosch as I've heard they are quiet and also have the 3rd rack.
Also is the price for a Miele similar to the Bosch?
The Bosch is considerably cheaper. The Miele cost me over $2400 after tax and that was on promo. The Bosch was $850

The Bosch is not as quiet as the Miele and I found that the Miele does a lot better job cleaning. The Bosch does have more cleaning cycles and doesn't take as long as the Miele to do a load of dishes.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote: The Bosch is considerably cheaper. The Miele cost me over $2400 after tax and that was on promo. The Bosch was $850

The Bosch is not as quiet as the Miele and I found that the Miele does a lot better job cleaning. The Bosch does have more cleaning cycles and doesn't take as long as the Miele to do a load of dishes.
Love my Miele dishwasher. It is a joy to use . Quiet and has more cleaning room than my old Kenmore.

I was so impressed with Miele that I bought their vacuum cleaner and clothes washer and dryer. Quality well built machines. Two people could barely lift the dishwasher or clothes washer. But the price is a killer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The Miele dishwasher is completely assembled by hand. All parts except for the rollers are made by Miele.

They cost more, but they’re worth it and built to last.
Sep 28, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
scarborough
patrob wrote: Whatever brand of fridge you go with unless you're going with a built-in, get a counter depth fridge!
Can you elaborate why?
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Love my Miele dishwasher. Can't even hear it when it's on. Amazingly quiet and does the job well.