Looking for feedback on wireless home phone and using VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2018 11:02 am
[OP]
May 28, 2007
764 posts
196 upvotes

Looking for feedback on wireless home phone and using VOIP

I'm considering leaving Bell, but not sure for who. With VOIP, I have to leave my modem on 24/7. I also only have the small Teksavvy DSL internet of 6/1. Plus, I don't want to have to figure out how to set up those Obihai boxes. Just a simple plug and play. Although leaving Bell's reliable 911 would be a drawback because my Mom doesn't speak English well. I currently have their most basic Home Phone Lite package and pay about $35 before taxes after the negotiated $5/mo discount for 6 months or a year. I will end up keeping the Bell satellite TV with the Chinese combo for my Mom to watch her Fairchild channel. This will end up costing $71.50/mo after losing the $7/mo bundle discount and the $5/mo negotiated discount. So what I save somewhere else, Bell just takes back some of it by eliminating the $7and $5 discounts.

These are what I was considering:
1) Rogers wireless home phone - $20/mo, $65 for the box, unlimited Canada and U.S. calls
2) Koodo wireless home phone - $5/mo for first year and $20/mo after, $40 for the box, unlimited Canada calls
3) Fongo home phone - $4.95/mo, $29 for the box promo, $25 to port my number after trying it to see if I like it, unlimited Canada calls
4) Ooma - $5.28/mo, $79.99 for the box (which I can use the $25 Costco voucher), #39.95 to port my number, unlimited Canada calls
5) Teksavvy TekTalk Unlimited - $22.95/mo, $49.95 for the box, $10 for shipping, unlimited Canada and U.S. calls

I guess I could try the Koodo for a year and if they don't want to give me a lower price after a year, I could jump over to Rogers and get the free U.S. calling for the same price. Don't know if the Koodo box is unlocked to be compatible with the Rogers SIM or not. Hard to choose.

Can anybody using any of these relay their experience with them in terms of reliability, call quality, etc. Thanks in advance.
4 replies
Apr 17, 2014
726 posts
236 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I've helped two people port to VOIP.MS and set up an ATA box. They said Ty Ty Ty. No issues at all.

If Bell line call quality is 100 then VoIP.ms is probably 98. You really can't tell.

VoIP.ms provide instructions on their site for setting up the ATA modem. It's pretty easy.

With all that said I'm not sure how good it would be on 6 meg DSL.
[OP]
May 28, 2007
764 posts
196 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:03 am
I've helped two people port to VOIP.MS and set up an ATA box. They said Ty Ty Ty. No issues at all.

If Bell line call quality is 100 then VoIP.ms is probably 98. You really can't tell.

VoIP.ms provide instructions on their site for setting up the ATA modem. It's pretty easy.

With all that said I'm not sure how good it would be on 6 meg DSL.
Thanks for the feedback. Does that mean the wireless home phone route with Koodo or Rogers would be the better choice?
Jun 21, 2008
420 posts
98 upvotes
mississauga
i had koodo home phone for a year and was very happy with it. I only went with voip.ms so i could get texting(i use the fido 3gb data plan). Very happy with voip as well. Bit of a curve setting it up but as proplayer says, its a one time thing then you are set
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13657 posts
3091 upvotes
London
RCML27 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:19 am
I'm considering leaving Bell, but not sure for who. With VOIP, I have to leave my modem on 24/7. I also only have the small Teksavvy DSL internet of 6/1. Plus, I don't want to have to figure out how to set up those Obihai boxes. Just a simple plug and play. Although leaving Bell's reliable 911 would be a drawback because my Mom doesn't speak English well...........

I ran voip.ms on Bell 5/1 Mbps and Rogers 6/256 for a number of years and it worked OK, even without QOS set on my router, however I wasn't saturating my connection. I also run a small UPS/powerbar for the ISP modem and Voip ATA. For voip.ms and Obhai, just follow the setup directions in the FAQ

Most 911 call centers have translator services available. This is the one for voip.ms

https://www.northern911.com/about-us/our-team/

Translation Services

Language should not be a barrier when an emergency arises. As Northern911 serves clients around the world, we are required to converse with many different languages. While our in-house operators are bilingual in French and English, we do not have internal language capabilities in all languages. For this reason, Northern911 subscribes to a simultaneous translation service. Through this facility we can communicate in over 170+ languages!...When we receive an emergency call, we quickly determine if it is in a language available internally. If not, we immediately call the translation service and are connected to a translator. With the translator’s assistance, we can respond to the caller’s needs

BTW, don't forget that even regular 911 call centers have problems. The one in Toronto was understaffed and had an average wait on hold of 1 minute, rising to more than 7 minutes during critical events. Its suppose to be around 10 seconds

https://globalnews.ca/news/4302946/toro ... new-staff/

During a shooting at North York Sheridan Mall in August that left a man dead, a source inside the centre shared internal call volume data from the late afternoon on August 31 with Global News.

It showed there were seven dispatchers on duty. At 5:22 p.m., there were 31 calls to 911, with a wait time of one minute and nine seconds. At the time of the shooting four minutes later, the callers jumped to 86 with a wait time of five minutes and 27 seconds. At 5:30 p.m., there were 56 people trying to get a hold of 911 with a wait time of seven minutes and 17 seconds.

The internationally accepted standard for answering 911 calls suggests 90 per cent of all calls should be picked up within 10 seconds — even during the busiest time of day