• Aug 24th, 2021 4:13 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2015
274 posts
256 upvotes
Longueuil, qc

Looking for a first eletric vehicle

Hey everyone,

I really don't know that much about cars, but I will have to replace my 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid in the near future and I was looking at the current electric options, since I drive about 100 km on the highway every work day. I'm also located in Québec, which makes BEV more interesting. Now, since there will also be kid(s) in the next few years if everything goes well, I'm looking for something that has room and high security.

I looked at a few manufacturers, and it seems like the Kia Niro EV and the Volkswagen ID.4 might be good options, especially for the AWD version of the latter. Anything else I should look at? Any good rebates at the moment, or should I wait for a specific time of the year for better rebates?

Thank you for any help/tips.
40 replies
Mar 1, 2015
291 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Look into a Hyundai Kona or Ioniq. Seeing lots of rebates and 0% offers at the moment on 2021 models.
Last edited by ateddybear on Aug 23rd, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
This topic has been discussed so many times....search....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9181 posts
8420 upvotes
So 100km one way or returned?

If it's returned and your place of work doesn't offer you any charging option, you need a EV with range of 200km-250km and only Mini EV doesn't make it.

If it's 100km one way, then you are looking it 400km-450km range and that drops a lot of BEVs out of contention.

Also, with current shortage, I'm sure you'll have kids by the time you have an EV on hand. :D
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
The Niro EV is going to be quite a bit smaller than your Optima, but still a small family will do ok. The ID4 would be a great family EV size wise.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7086 posts
3930 upvotes
Ottawa
If I was buying, my biggest consideration is if you are able to charge at home. If you aren't, a BEV might not be for you (in the summer, many people can get away from not charging at home but in the winter, especially if you are parking outside, not charging overnight will affect your range).

In the winter, at -20C or colder (actual temp, not windchill) it's likely that you'll lose 50% of your range so plan for that. If you have 2 cars, it's probably not a huge issue (realistically, the number of times it's below -20C when you'd be driving is probably limited (-20C aren't that rare overnight but days where it doesn't go warmer are much rarer (i.e. avg hi/low in Montreal is : Dec -2/-9, Jan -6/-13, Feb -4/-11, March 2/-5). Since you are asking advice, make sure you keep in mind where the person giving the advice lives; winter in Montreal is not the same as winter in Southern Ontario.

As far as rebates, QC offers up to $8k rebate and there's a Federal rebate of $5k on qualifying EVs (that's very important; you need to make sure the vehicle you are looking at qualifies). Other than that, for most EVs, you will be paying MSRP and it's unlikely you'll get any discount above that. You'll have to look at the options but the AWD version of many BEVs does not qualify for any rebates (meaning that in many cases, the AWD is close to $15-20k after tax more than the 2WD version).

EVs are improving quite quickly and new models are coming out so your timeframe for buying will affect what you should be looking at.

As far as the size, that's a personal question. Once we had kids, we always had a station wagon or a minivan but there are tons of families that survive with a compact hatchback or small sedan.

Ultimately, as @kevinsbane said, your budget will affect your decision. A Tesla Model Y might fit your requirements well but at $70k + tax (no rebates) (plus possibly 4-6 month wait), that might not be in your budget.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2015
274 posts
256 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
My budget is 55-60k, before government rebate and taxes, but the car has to qualify for the government rebates. I drive 100 km for the full trip back home and I will charge at home, in the garage.

I didn't know the Model 3 was affordable (still in the mindset that Tesla is luxury cars only), so it is interesting. It seems the ID.4 AWD reviews are pretty good as well, so I'll be trying to get test drives for both. If it doesn't work, I'll be waiting for the newer models.

Thanks for the comments.
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
Spinifex wrote: My budget is 55-60k, before government rebate and taxes, but the car has to qualify for the government rebates. I drive 100 km for the full trip back home and I will charge at home, in the garage.

I didn't know the Model 3 was affordable (still in the mindset that Tesla is luxury cars only), so it is interesting. It seems the ID.4 AWD reviews are pretty good as well, so I'll be trying to get test drives for both. If it doesn't work, I'll be waiting for the newer models.

Thanks for the comments.
That's a healthy realistic budget, also look at the new upcoming Hyundai Ioniq EV and Kia's EV6, there's a few more coming but because of the global chip shortage, lots of product launch delays and production schedule setbacks.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9181 posts
8420 upvotes
Spinifex wrote: My budget is 55-60k, before government rebate and taxes, but the car has to qualify for the government rebates. I drive 100 km for the full trip back home and I will charge at home, in the garage.

Thanks for the comments.
That's healthy budget. But most have said ID.4 AWD won't be here til end of 2022 and Tesla is slightly better but they are hit as well.
Estimated delivery times on Tesla's website have been pushed back until late this year -- and in come cases next year -- for all but the upper-end versions of the Model 3 sedan and Model Y SUV.

For the two most expensive cars, the Model S and Model X, buyers will have to wait until March or April 2022 for anything but the upper-end "Plaid" version of the Model S. For those most pricey Tesla models, the estimated delivery time is January or February.
I won't hold out hope for the Korean trio (ioniq/ev6/gv60) to be cheap. Sounds like they all start in the $60K range if they are using Mach-E as price benchmark
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12974 posts
7071 upvotes

Thanks for the comments.
Odd thing to think, considering they don't even make a luxury car or model..... Neutral Face

Regardless of that, it does sound like the Model 3 fits your needs and budget. After SO MANY threads and discussions about this, I think they are the safest bet, as there seem to be lots of concerns over charging locations and reliability for other manufacturers, while Telsa seems to have a pretty good handle on it, as long as you don't live rurally.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2015
274 posts
256 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
Gutty96 wrote: Odd thing to think, considering they don't even make a luxury car or model..... Neutral Face

Regardless of that, it does sound like the Model 3 fits your needs and budget. After SO MANY threads and discussions about this, I think they are the safest bet, as there seem to be lots of concerns over charging locations and reliability for other manufacturers, while Telsa seems to have a pretty good handle on it, as long as you don't live rurally.
Well, last time I looked at cars was in 2014-15 (when I bought my used Optima for $12,500), and Tesla was something new, rare and quite out of my price bracket. So yeah: luxury.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12974 posts
7071 upvotes
Spinifex wrote: Well, last time I looked at cars was in 2014-15 (when I bought my used Optima for $12,500), and Tesla was something new, rare and quite out of my price bracket. So yeah: luxury.
The high price is because it's a new generation of vehicles. Not because it is luxury.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
Plug 'n Drive is a very good EV resource: https://www.plugndrive.ca/

Model 3 SR+ ($52,990 - $5,000 federal incentive - Quebec incentive) is overkill for most people in terms of range, performance and carrying capacity, but is a very solid value. Test drive link here: https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/drive

The RWD Tesla performs amazingly well in the snow due to Tesla's best in the industry traction control system.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Aug 23rd, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7086 posts
3930 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtrema wrote: That's healthy budget. But most have said ID.4 AWD won't be here til end of 2022 and Tesla is slightly better but they are hit as well.

I won't hold out hope for the Korean trio (ioniq/ev6/gv60) to be cheap. Sounds like they all start in the $60K range if they are using Mach-E as price benchmark
I believe the ID.4 might be available in significant quantities before then. At the moment, North American ID.4s are imported from Europe so numbers are very limited but it appears that they are almost ready to start production in Tennessee and that will likely significantly increase availability. I don't see production targets anywhere for the plant but I thought they were aiming for a fairly significant number (e.g. 100-200k/year)

As far as the Kia/Hyundai, I've read that the Ioniq 5 is supposed to start at $40k in the US which would likely mean around $50k in Canada so that might be in your budget (considering higher price for AWD) but we'll have to see when they actually release the prices (perhaps they'll do like Tesla and offer sub-$45k version in order to make it qualify for the rebate (I'm not sure what the QC eligibility rules are though).
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
If you aren't in a terrible rush, I would wait and see what else comes to market. There are lots of options on the horizon that are up and coming and may allow you to find a vehicle that fits your desires at a reasonable price point.. eg. AWD