Computers & Electronics

Looking to get a 100hz+ ultrawide. Suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 10:38 am
Tags:
8 replies
Jul 1, 2016
860 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking for something similar...

There's 3 more in your price range I'm aware of:

1) 34" MSI Optix 3440 x 1440 - VA - 100hz $700 ish afte tax from Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Non-Glare-Ult ... B07G5FCR6X

2) AOC 34" 3440 x 1440 - VA @ 144hz - $700ish after tax from Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/AOC-CU34G2X-Frame ... 9260&psc=1

3) Xiaomi 34" 3440 x 1440 @ 144hz -$750 ish all in shipped to Ontario (from banggood/aliexpress... my concern is with warranty, support, etc).
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000410391977.html

The Xiaomi one appealed to me the most... but I couldn't justify the risk with warranty/etc...

I'm undecided at the moment... I've decided to wait for Black Friday/Boxing sales.
I'm running a RX 580 Nitro - and it's not up to to the task of running those monitors to their full potential, but it will also double as my work from home display for productivity. Also, I'm mainly playing Triple A games from 3-8 years ago @ 2560 x 1440 @ 85% resolution with Radeon Image Sharpen - with no issues at all high/near max with 100 or higher average FPS.
Pixelation~
Dec 8, 2009
554 posts
311 upvotes
Edmonton
I've tried a few gaming UW monitors and the DELL AW3420DW is my favorite. It has great colors, performance, build quality, quality control, and most importantly a very good warranty.

I got mine for $1014 tax in + $35 in rewards back in February (14% ebates + 10% off monitor + price adjustment + 3% rewards) so it's possible it could be had for ~$800 + tax on BF after you factor in discounts.
Oct 11, 2010
107 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Are you interested in a Viewsonic XG350R-C? This is my current monitor but it's too big for my place so I'm looking to downgrade.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1366 posts
1163 upvotes
Ultra wide is not worth it for gaming. You have much more pixels spread out. An ultra wide 1440p monitor will basically be a 1080p resolution spread out. Plus you have to move your head too much when gaming.
Just stick with 27" for 1440p or 32" for 4k
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4596 posts
3144 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Hindenburg1 wrote: Ultra wide is not worth it for gaming. You have much more pixels spread out. An ultra wide 1440p monitor will basically be a 1080p resolution spread out. Plus you have to move your head too much when gaming.
Just stick with 27" for 1440p or 32" for 4k
I disagree. I have an ultrawide and it's great for gaming. Typically the side images are for your peripheral vision anyways. The middle portion is what you'll see on a typical 16:9 screen. Playing lots of Warzone, the side profile definitely helps a lot in seeing the enemy before he can see you. 120% FOV set. Only issue I see is for games that has a lot of scrolling. Scrolling from side to side takes a bit of time like in league of legends.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Feb 19, 2018
42 posts
28 upvotes
Killmassacre wrote: I've tried a few gaming UW monitors and the DELL AW3420DW is my favorite. It has great colors, performance, build quality, quality control, and most importantly a very good warranty.

I got mine for $1014 tax in + $35 in rewards back in February (14% ebates + 10% off monitor + price adjustment + 3% rewards) so it's possible it could be had for ~$800 + tax on BF after you factor in discounts.
This is exactly what I have (although I paid slightly more) but I've been using it for a couple of months now for productivity as well as gaming (FPS games only so far). I actually think it benefits in FPS because you're able to catch movement on the periphery, and with a wider FOV I've had a couple of instances where I'd catch someone rotating in a BR way over to the side that maybe normally I wouldn't have.

For work, it's kind of amazing honestly. I love having a wide landscape for my spreadsheets and presentations. Versus a two screen setup, having no bezels to deal with for multiple windows is a real treat, and the colours pop beautifully. I don't do much coding, but when I do some scripting the contrast is really good and the blacks seem very uniform.

Out of the 3 OP mentioned, I'd pick the Xiaomi as well if you really had to have one, but I would wait and see if one of LG or Alienware flagship IPS UWs goes on sale between now and BF, if you can wait. When I was doing my research, a lot of people would complain about VA panels for various reasons, so IPS was a must for me.

Good luck!
Aug 28, 2019
19 posts
17 upvotes
As mentioned by others, the AW3420DW is the best IPS 120Hz Ultrawide monitor for 34" right now.

The G9 Odyssey is an insane 49" Superultrawide at 240Hz QLED, but it is a VA panel and costs $2000 with tax. I tried it for 2 weeks, it is very immersive for action games but I just can't stand VA panel anymore after using IPS for so long (plus I can never reach 240Hz even with a 2080ti).