Computers & Electronics

looking to go from gaming laptop to desktop any help?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 7:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes

looking to go from gaming laptop to desktop any help?

i have a lenovo y540 at the moment.
9750h rtx 2060
looking to get serious into gaming and vr so i want to go back to a desktop.
is AMD a better choice for cpu over price performance. i also want to go for a small desktop not sure what is the best case for mitx or matx.
budget 2000
overclocking isn't important for me i would rather pay a little more that works out of the box.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
Yes AMD is better buy when it comes to cost for performance, although i wouldn't go with a small form factor do to added cost (case) and limited expandability.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2955 posts
2370 upvotes
Markham
AMD offers the best value as the Ryzen 3000 desktop CPUs are good at everything. Intel CPUs these days only beat Ryzen on extracting maximum fps but it requires a RTX 2080Ti to fully realize. The bit about overclocking, favours AMD even more because most have found minimal gains on overclocking Ryzen CPUs, meaning they're really good out of the box. Even so AMD allows pretty much all of them for overclocking which is great should you decide later to boost them a bit. Ideal CPUs to consider are 3300X, 3600 and 3700X. AMD offers an excellent upgrade path, any 3000 desktop CPU is a viable choice and the next 4000 series desktop CPUs which have yet to be announced are possibilities. So don't fret if you have to shave on CPU right now. For gaming, GPU is still far more important.

Small form factor PCs, the good news they're very compact some of them are incredibly small. ITX is the only choice if you want the tower to be as compact as it can. m-ATX is not ideal since very few cases cater to m-ATX, thus m-ATX is best as an inexpensive alternative to ATX. The ITX boards however aren't cheap. As for ITX cases, it heavily depends on how small you want to go, the very small compact high quality cases are expensive, whereas something on the big side for ITX like NZXT's 210 Mini is affordable. Most ITX cases require a SFX power supply this also can add to the cost a limit choices. For SFF, the quality of the motherboards will be something to consider, at this point I think B550 is probably the best choice for ITX particularly for the VRM quality. The CPU cooler size might come into play as well, you will need to know any height clearance if you wish to use air cooling. Notcua's C14S is probably the air cooler for most ITX cases. Its hard to recommend any specific ITX case as a lot depends on how small you want to go. Dan A4, Ncase M1, Lian Li Tu-150, NZXT H1, NZXT 210 mini, are all viable options to look at. There's even more, so aspects will be personal and only you can determine what's acceptable and what's not.

The choice is ultimately yours, as your budget will be squeezed in a few directions over a typical PC build. How small do you want the case to be, how much you want to consider the upgrade path(motherboard and CPU), how powerful must it be right now(GPU)? For it to perform better in gaming than your laptop, 2060 Super is the bare minimum. If you can wait, do all your research now to see what you genuinely want, and wait for the next gen GPUs to release, expected for Q3 this year as they will shake up the market.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
JeganV wrote: AMD offers the best value as the Ryzen 3000 desktop CPUs are good at everything. Intel CPUs these days only beat Ryzen on extracting maximum fps but it requires a RTX 2080Ti to fully realize. The bit about overclocking, favours AMD even more because most have found minimal gains on overclocking Ryzen CPUs, meaning they're really good out of the box. Even so AMD allows pretty much all of them for overclocking which is great should you decide later to boost them a bit. Ideal CPUs to consider are 3300X, 3600 and 3700X. AMD offers an excellent upgrade path, any 3000 desktop CPU is a viable choice and the next 4000 series desktop CPUs which have yet to be announced are possibilities. So don't fret if you have to shave on CPU right now. For gaming, GPU is still far more important.

Small form factor PCs, the good news they're very compact some of them are incredibly small. ITX is the only choice if you want the tower to be as compact as it can. m-ATX is not ideal since very few cases cater to m-ATX, thus m-ATX is best as an inexpensive alternative to ATX. The ITX boards however aren't cheap. As for ITX cases, it heavily depends on how small you want to go, the very small compact high quality cases are expensive, whereas something on the big side for ITX like NZXT's 210 Mini is affordable. Most ITX cases require a SFX power supply this also can add to the cost a limit choices. For SFF, the quality of the motherboards will be something to consider, at this point I think B550 is probably the best choice for ITX particularly for the VRM quality. The CPU cooler size might come into play as well, you will need to know any height clearance if you wish to use air cooling. Notcua's C14S is probably the air cooler for most ITX cases. Its hard to recommend any specific ITX case as a lot depends on how small you want to go. Dan A4, Ncase M1, Lian Li Tu-150, NZXT H1, NZXT 210 mini, are all viable options to look at. There's even more, so aspects will be personal and only you can determine what's acceptable and what's not.

The choice is ultimately yours, as your budget will be squeezed in a few directions over a typical PC build. How small do you want the case to be, how much you want to consider the upgrade path(motherboard and CPU), how powerful must it be right now(GPU)? For it to perform better in gaming than your laptop, 2060 Super is the bare minimum. If you can wait, do all your research now to see what you genuinely want, and wait for the next gen GPUs to release, expected for Q3 this year as they will shake up the market.
lots of information in 3 paragraph, thank you, i think ill go with amd and a itx cases those are some very good choice i like the nzxt h1. a bit more expensive but comes with power supply. ill start building and wait for september to get the gpu
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4921 posts
1953 upvotes
If you're going ITX build ... SFX size power supply is your friend :)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2343 posts
150 upvotes
ITX is a lot more expensive when it adds up. SFX premium, mobo is a bit more, custom cases are nice but around $200....

You also have to be wary of cooler heights and video card length.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
i figured i could go around the average video card. i dont need a 3 fans, those adds not that much unless you overclock them. i aint going to overclock anything.
but i havent seen much for what i want in cpu and motherboard yet. yup i am waiting on a 3080!
im also considering looking at the smallest matx case too
Plenty of cases mitx for 90 I found one already but I guess I'll have to be patient for motherboard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)