Looking for a good and affordable auto/home insurance in ontario

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 4:10 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2007
63 posts
TO

Looking for a good and affordable auto/home insurance in ontario

Good day! My auto insurance is due for renewal in June. Can anyone recommend a good company with affordable monthly premium for 2 cars and a home coverage? My husband & I are currently with Aviva but they have increased our monthly premium by $100, to a total of $515. We live in Whitby.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
code416
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1135 posts
628 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
acuchek15 wrote: Good day! My auto insurance is due for renewal in June. Can anyone recommend a good company with affordable monthly premium for 2 cars and a home coverage? My husband & I are currently with Aviva but they have increased our monthly premium by $100, to a total of $515. We live in Whitby.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
We were with Aviva last year but after they increased prices we found CAA was cheapest for our 2 vehicles and home. Be sure to reference your membership number if you have one for additional savings.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3831 posts
3925 upvotes
Good and affordable typically are not two words used together, and certainly not in the insurance industry.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kanetix.ca
Insurancehotline.com
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
I'm seeing alot of rate increases not only with AVIVA but other companies. Things gotta change.. ughSmiling Face With Horns
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6472 posts
1070 upvotes
You won't get an answer here as each house, car, and individual's profiles are different. The pricing depends on so many variables. Cheap for someone doesn't mean it's cheap for you.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16034 posts
4868 upvotes
London
acuchek15 wrote: Good day! My auto insurance is due fo...
Usually, you’ll get the best rate through any “group insurance” that you might be qualified for. Ask around to see what might be available such as through your employee association, union, work benefits, alumni/ school, professional association, etc. Group rates are usually cheaper because the defined group has a lower risk profile than the general population.
Example : Doctors and dentists get cheap auto and home insurance though their medical associations
Sep 9, 2008
60 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, eh?
I'm in the same boat as OP, Insurance expires at end of May. @COSMIC5 , do you broker insurance for the GTA region? Any chance I can contact you?

Thanks!
:facepalm: I feel sorry for my wallet. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8677 posts
1624 upvotes
Sonnet for auto, Square One insurance for home. You can even buy both policies online. This is my 3rd year with both.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Frankie3s wrote: Sonnet for auto, Square One insurance for home. You can even buy both policies online. This is my 3rd year with both.
FSCO approved a 14.55% rate increase for Sonnet...good luck on renewal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6119 posts
4729 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: I'm seeing alot of rate increases not only with AVIVA but other companies. Things gotta change.. ughSmiling Face With Horns
I wonder if it's because ambulance chasers are using concussions and mental health to get around soft tissue cap.

BC already put a stop to it:
https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... claims-cap

AB is being hit hard by this right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1925 posts
693 upvotes
Kitchener
vkizzle wrote: FSCO approved a 14.55% rate increase for Sonnet...good luck on renewal.
That's an average increase as well. So you can assume about 10% of clients will see 30% or more and some may see low single digit increases.... The rest are going to be in the 10-25% range. Averaging out to their approval.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
Insurance isn't "one-size-fits-all," what may be cheap for someone else may be more expensive for you (and vice versa). I agree with @l69norm that group insurance can greatly lower your premiums. When I was in school, I was paying something like $300/month for just auto insurance under my parent's policy as a secondary driver.. Now I'm paying ~$200/month for auto (two cars) and home insurance.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
JoelK22976 wrote: Insurance isn't "one-size-fits-all," what may be cheap for someone else may be more expensive for you (and vice versa). I agree with @l69norm that group insurance can greatly lower your premiums. When I was in school, I was paying something like $300/month for just auto insurance under my parent's policy as a secondary driver.. Now I'm paying ~$200/month for auto (two cars) and home insurance.
Group insurance is no guarantee either, as I used to be insured with TDMM and their rates were much higher than what I'm paying now.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
vkizzle wrote: Group insurance is no guarantee either, as I used to be insured with TDMM and their rates were much higher than what I'm paying now.
Aka OP no one on RFD can recommend "a good company with affordable monthly premiums," you have to call around and get quotes. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4793 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
I'm switching this year as well as my current provider decided to increase.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1328 posts
823 upvotes
Toronto
Shop around for quotes. Can try TD...
Nov 30, 2015
388 posts
190 upvotes
GTA, ON
I switched from Aviva to CAA after Aviva increased rates 20% for auto and 24% for home.

Shopping around, I found that a group rate quoted for Novex through a broker was quite reasonable, ie, equal or lower than what I paid last year.

I also used Kanetix to get comparisons and did find an abnormality where the CAA rate they gave me was significantly higher than what I got directly from CAA online.