• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 2:08 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for a good all-round 4K monitor

Shopping for monitors has never been harder. I've spent days poring over spec sheets, reviews etc and am no closer to figuring out what I want to do.

I'm in the market for a 4K monitor with the following features in order of descending importance:

1) can display picture-in-picture and/or picture-by-picture, ideally both. I want to be able to split the screen between inputs, i.e. display one input "inside" a picture from another input. I almost pulled the trigger on a monitor today until I found out it's "PIP" feature did not allow one to do this.

2) could do some casual gaming on either my PS4 Pro or Windows PC. My PC has two Radeon 6900s, I'm sure they're junk now and I don't see myself investing in a full blown gaming rig.

3) Has a stand that is reasonably adjustable.

4) Can do HDR.

5) Won't cost me an arm and a leg. I know this is relative.

Thanks everyone. As I mentioned, buying a monitor has never been harder. Time was when you could just buy the Sony and call it a day.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe Asus ProArt series? It supports PiP and PbP. However, no HDR. I don't think any such monitor exists with PiP and HDR. It's pretty rare for a monitor to have HDR, as it's seen as a gaming feature. And as PiP/PbP are not gaming features, they're probably not going to be added to a monitor for gaming.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Same here. Have been researching for 2 weeks. The hardest part is there were so many great monitor deals not too long ago that it hurts having to pay an extra 20%+ more.

One of the biggest struggles is do I need 4K on a 27 inch monitor? Should I just get 1440p? Or should I get 32 inch monitor with 4K. Then do I need USB-c! Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Followup, I ended up buying an LG 43UD79-B. It's currently on sale for $819, I think I paid the regular price at $869.

43", does PIP and PBP, can tile up to 4 screens or you can do things like have 2 screens, one on top and one on bottom, or one on left and one on right. When displaying only one input, will do 4K. 4 HDMI inputs, one USB-C and one DP. Has speakers. No HDR.

Only thing I don't like about it is that switching inputs is a little tedious, but that might be part of the beast when you need to be able to specify inputs for up to 4 different screens and choose what goes where. I also wish we could label the inputs as e.g. "DESKTOP" and "Laptop".

It's pretty big on my desk when an arms-length away. But when tiling 4 screens, each is quite small though usable, so if you're planning to tile 4 screens on your desk, I'd say 43" is a minimum. I've had up to three computers plus my PS4 running simultaneously. I haven't really done much gaming on it because I quickly realized I needed to move my console away from my workspace.

Overall I'm happy. Screen looks fine to me. There have been a couple of times where the screen just turned itself off, and the power button on the remote wouldn't turn it back on. I had to unplug it and replug it in to be able to turn it back on. Hope that doesn't end up being a problem. I quickly needed to buy Logitech MK850 mouse/keyboard combo, which lets me switch between 3 bluetooth devices, I wish I could find a mouse/keyboard combo that could handle 4 or even more devices though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)