• Jun 10th, 2018 8:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8580 posts
926 upvotes
Scarborough

Looking for a good stud finder

Costco had it a little while ago, but I didn't need it then. Now I'm looking for a good one to keep it for a while.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4567 posts
1980 upvotes
GVRD
schade wrote: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frank ... p.html#srp .. it usually comes on sale if you aren't in a hurry
+1, this Franklin Stud Sensor is the same as what Costco was selling in-store. I actually got mine from Canadian Tire because at the time their price was same? as Costco and I had some CT money to spend, so it was more convenient. It's been very accurate so far.
Jun 6, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Used the one from Costco several times, not very accurate. Stanley does better job.
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
455 upvotes
toronto
i've tried a few and the best i found is an old POS electric shaver. put it up against the wall, turn it on and you'll hear where the studs are
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
denti72 wrote: i've tried a few and the best i found is an old POS electric shaver. put it up against the wall, turn it on and you'll hear where the studs are
How does that work?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8738 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
As long as you're not hard of hearing or tone deaf, the sound caused by the shaver's vibration (and you need one that vibrates) will be different. Just like in the old way how one would knock against the wall and listen for changes in the sound.

BTW, great idea, but I don't have an electric shaver.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
455 upvotes
toronto
thriftshopper wrote: As long as you're not hard of hearing or tone deaf, the sound caused by the shaver's vibration (and you need one that vibrates) will be different. Just like in the old way how one would knock against the wall and listen for changes in the sound.

BTW, great idea, but I don't have an electric shaver.
this... as you get on a stud or closer to a stud, the tone would sound solid where as the empty cavity will sound hollow. its like tapping a watermellow :)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2699 posts
1970 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Conversely you can always get a strong magnet (old speaker will do), wrap it in a thin cloth to protect the wall finish and look for nails/screws.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13155 posts
4266 upvotes
GTA
Bought a Stanley one first and it was a piece of garbage. Returned it and bought the cheapest Zircon one, was on sale for $10. Works like a charm, had it for about 10yrs now.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1877 posts
694 upvotes
GTA
Buy a Stanley if you are looking for an accurate result
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1197 posts
68 upvotes
Mississauga
Download an app for your iPhone call Metal Detector. You can use that as stud finder lol
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
rcmpvet wrote: Conversely you can always get a strong magnet (old speaker will do), wrap it in a thin cloth to protect the wall finish and look for nails/screws.
Naw. Just get a finish nail and hammer it in a horizontal line until you hit a stud. Who cares if your wall has a bunch of holes in it? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
denti72 wrote: i've tried a few and the best i found is an old POS electric shaver. put it up against the wall, turn it on and you'll hear where the studs are
I just use my psychic abilities to determine stud locations. Definitely more accurate than a POS shaver.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
schade wrote: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frank ... p.html#srp .. it usually comes on sale if you aren't in a hurry
I bought this when it was at Costco, and it is fantastic. I own many, and this is by far my favourite.
People need to realize the limitations of the tool. Plaster on lath, multi layered drywall assemblies, etc. are going to be problematic for any stud sensor. If you know basic construction techniques (16" centres for 2x4, 24" centres for 2x6 wall assemblies) then you can extrapolate once you find a stud.

Just a cautionary note; Stud sensors will also find the 3" ABS DVW (AKA the poop pipe) in a wall cavity. It is not something you want to put a screw into.