• Aug 31st, 2021 10:24 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2019
149 posts
317 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Looking for help identifying basement rough-in bathroom plumbing

Hi,

We're thinking of adding a utility sink in the basement rough-in bathroom area which is curretly used as laundry room. Researched online but our plumbings look all different with the other photos I found... Can someone help with identifying these pipes? Basically I'm looking for the answer of "Yes you can DIY" or "No you will need a plumber to do it"...

TIA!
Images
  • mmexport1630426098574.jpg
  • mmexport1630426019494.jpg
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
OttTNT wrote: Hi,

We're thinking of adding a utility sink in the basement rough-in bathroom area which is curretly used as laundry room. Researched online but our plumbings look all different with the other photos I found... Can someone help with identifying these pipes? Basically I'm looking for the answer of "Yes you can DIY" or "No you will need a plumber to do it"...

TIA!
For pic one, the small pipe from the left is the drain from the washer I presume, and then the larger vertical pipe is your stack, and then I'm guessing the smaller vertical pipe is a vent? But that is kinda unclear, can you see a connection for the smaller vertical pipe above?

So to answer your question of can you DIY - if you're putting it next to the washer/dryer and that stack, seems pretty straightforward. This will likely require a permit depending on municipality, and given your questions it would be wise to familiarize yourself with the code and how things need to be plumbed to work property. Don't want to siphon out your trap and fill your basement with sewer gasses.

Picture number 2 is a bit more interesting. That's where your water comes into the house - it is illegal to make a connection before your meter, fyi, so would have to tee off after, but may be easy enough to use your washer supply as well.

The other one's are a better guessing game, is one supposed to be for a toilet? Based on them being located right next to your water, I would guess that this is also where your mainline exits the house if that makes sense. Then some of these could either be a cleanout for your mainline or a backflow valve.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2019
149 posts
317 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks a lot for all the info! @SubjectivelyObjective

Re: pic #1 - Yes, it was the drain from the washer. The two vertical pipes I thought was the drains from upstairs. Attaching two more photos of black pipes.

Yeah the plan was to put it next to the washer (in between washer and dryer).
I will research more and decide if we can handle it ourselves.

Not related but I only noticed now that there is a water pipe going into the dryer... didn't know that a dryer needs water. Maybe it's for the steam dry...

Thanks again!
Images
  • IMG_20210831_202333.jpg
  • IMG_20210831_215435.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Washer & Dryer …

Looks like the tell tale sides of a Maytag

Ya if it’s a dryer with steam Maytag uses a direct water connection not a reservoir