• Mar 29th, 2020 10:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2858 posts
1862 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for high quality small gas grill

5 years or so ago I hauled my old 3 burner Weber grill out to the cottage. It's serving its purpose out there well enough.

We went 100% charcoal with a Vision grill here at the house. Sometimes though we miss the instant-on of the gas, and are thinking about getting a small gas grill for here.

99% of the time I'm grilling 3 steaks, maybe 6 burgers, perhaps a handful of skewers - not all at the same time of course. Family of 3, but often just the 2 of us.

I'm considering marine grill units - the ones people bolt to their depreciating mid-life crises. Portable is nice in that I can put it away when it's not in use, or I can put it on a simple table or stand in the small back yard.

Anyone with experience with the marine brands? Or other small, relatively easy to move gas grills? Happy to pay for good quality. Not looking for a $100 grill - I'm expecting this will run $500-$1000 or so.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2147 posts
371 upvotes
Are you open to Natural Gas, or Propane? We ahve 3 bbq's: Weber Silver B, Weber Performer Charcoal and a Weber Q. The Weber Q is small, portable and may indeed be exactly what you guys need. I don't think there is a NG option but can easily be hooked up to a propane tank. Excellent value, Weber quality
May 22, 2007
466 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Weber q no question.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2858 posts
1862 upvotes
Toronto
Propane. Too much effort and not enough use to warrant running a NG line out there (finished basement, challenging back addition etc.).

I'll have a look at the Weber Q for sure. I was also looking at grills like this Magma unit typically sold for marine applications.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--c ... --15972573

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2858 posts
1862 upvotes
Toronto
The Solaire line seems like it might be good too, all made in the USA and pretty straightforward.

No doubt, these other options are 2-3x the price of the Weber Q so I'll have to have a closer look at the Q in person. My first 2 grills were $120 dual burner units that each lasted 8 years or so. Then I got the Weber which has been running well enough but I did replace the burners, grate etc. and the cabinet is now falling apart from spending winters outdoors at the cottage (covered, but snow/ice around the wheels).
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
Weber Q !
Enjoy
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2147 posts
371 upvotes
There are also a couple of different version of the Q, I have to say this is the best line of bbq's money can buy. Napolean may also offer similar styles, look into them also maybe
Mar 31, 2013
203 posts
896 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
My weber Q is still going strong after 10 years, something nobody has mentioned is that is super efficient on gas!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2858 posts
1862 upvotes
Toronto
Man, these Q's must turn sirloin into tenderloin or something! I'll pick one up based on the overwhelming feedback.
Feb 26, 2016
986 posts
221 upvotes
Vaughan
i've been looking to get the weber q for a long time as well and contemplated the weber q vs the napoleon portable grill. after research, the weber q is definitely the better option. couple of years ago, they had a canada day special for the weber q. I'm still waiting for it to go on sale but it seems like it rarely does. I originally wanted it so I can take it to parks/beaches with the family. I'm in no rush now given covid-19 and I have a full natural gas bbq at home.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2147 posts
371 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Man, these Q's must turn sirloin into tenderloin or something! I'll pick one up based on the overwhelming feedback.
two different sized surfaces makes it an easy choice at a reasonable price for Weber quality. Bought ours at Home Depot and if you want portability they should still be selling the cart, along with the bbq should run around $470 or wait for some type of promo. You can use small propane tanks for on the go, and have a fixed larger size one for cottage/home. Wish we used our more to be honest, but I already have 2 others, argh
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2858 posts
1862 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: two different sized surfaces makes it an easy choice at a reasonable price for Weber quality. Bought ours at Home Depot and if you want portability they should still be selling the cart, along with the bbq should run around $470 or wait for some type of promo. You can use small propane tanks for on the go, and have a fixed larger size one for cottage/home. Wish we used our more to be honest, but I already have 2 others, argh
No need for stands or portable containers. This will live at the house, and be used from time to time on a table in the yard. I'll look at possible quick-connect fittings if there are any so I can disconnect from a tank easily.

We also have a small propane fired 'fire pit' so I might just build a little house for a 20 lb tank and leave it in the garden, and then connect either the grill or the fire to it as needed.

Just trying to avoid another large item in the yard taking up space and deteriorating. The portable grill can sit on a shelf in the garage and be pulled out when it's needed.

At the cottage I have a smaller charcoal grill - a small Vision that I picked up 'used' for $200. Had never been lit. That and my old larger Weber. The Weber is plumbed into our 400 lb propane tank which also services the gas stove and water heater. Pretty convenient - we rarely use the charcoal.