Computers & Electronics

Looking to hire somebody for Access point install

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 8:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
2891 posts
78 upvotes
Markham

Looking to hire somebody for Access point install

Hi all

Is there somebody I can hire to do an access point install at a house? The Rogers modem is on the 2nd floor, and I need better internet in the basement. Looking to have this done asap.
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a router you can set it up yourself (this requires running a network cable to the old router). I wrote up instructions on how to do this if you need it.

The other option is to buy a wireless extender and use that. The download speed will be cut in half though (maybe less? everybody says it's cut in half but I remember running a speed test on mine and it was a bit faster than half). The extender is easy to set up. I have a Netgear extender that I bought for like $140 on sale. There's a wizard set up which it just asks you to connect to your current wifi and enter the password. Then it asks you to name your wifi (coming from the extender; you can use the same name as your current wifi).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Member
May 30, 2007
279 posts
401 upvotes
Markham
I found someone who did mine on HomeStars. Keep in mind, it wasn't cheap (cost of about $400 per run), but I decided for the price it was worth it to reduce my internet frustrations. Now I have a TP-Link EAP245 in the middle of the home and every corner has great signal. No extenders required.
Jr. Member
Apr 19, 2014
148 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
Renegade_R wrote: I found someone who did mine on HomeStars. Keep in mind, it wasn't cheap (cost of about $400 per run), but I decided for the price it was worth it to reduce my internet frustrations. Now I have a TP-Link EAP245 in the middle of the home and every corner has great signal. No extenders required.
WOW!
$400?
Maybe I should start doing this on the side.
Member
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes
Are you handy? Could run the ethernet cable outside instead of inside, down the side of the house from room to basement. I did this at my house, except paid someone. It was $600 including materials for 4 drops this way.
Member
May 30, 2007
279 posts
401 upvotes
Markham
ThiruIO wrote: WOW!
$400?
Maybe I should start doing this on the side.
Yeah, it seems very lucrative. There is a lot of know-how and experience involved, having to go through walls, across floors, heading up into the attic, pulling tons of cables. If you can put in cables BEFORE a builder puts up the walls, it is significantly cheaper. But after what I paid for 3 days of work, I tell myself I'm in the wrong business.
Member
Dec 6, 2020
378 posts
354 upvotes
Low-voltage cable installation requires a permit to be done above-board. Getting the credentials to take out a permit as a contractor requires formal training, a contractor's license, and other non-trivial paperwork. Doing this kind of work above-board also requires insurance.

If you pay $400 per drop to a legitimate contractor, what you're paying for is the hope of competent work and the reasonable assurance that that the contractor's insurer will pay out if the installer does something stupid, like drills through a gas line (or through your hydro service cable) and blows your house up.

Doing this kind of work as a side-hustle is doing electrical work without a license; you will regret it if you make a mistake that harms someone or if your local electrical safety authority catches you and decides to make an example out of you.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4723 posts
1396 upvotes
0 downvotes
bell installed ethernet cable in my master bedroom and driled into the wall and installed network jack for the pvr and did NOT need a permit.

I highly doubt a ethernet drop needs a permit
Hi
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11280 posts
3027 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Never heard that low voltage (Ethernet, RG6 etc) Needs a permit. I have never heard of a inspector caring about low voltage cables. Unless this is something new?

Do you have a link or something where I can get more info on this?
middleofnowhere wrote: Low-voltage cable installation requires a permit to be done above-board. Getting the credentials to take out a permit as a contractor requires formal training, a contractor's license, and other non-trivial paperwork. Doing this kind of work above-board also requires insurance.

If you pay $400 per drop to a legitimate contractor, what you're paying for is the hope of competent work and the reasonable assurance that that the contractor's insurer will pay out if the installer does something stupid, like drills through a gas line (or through your hydro service cable) and blows your house up.

Doing this kind of work as a side-hustle is doing electrical work without a license; you will regret it if you make a mistake that harms someone or if your local electrical safety authority catches you and decides to make an example out of you.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Member
Dec 6, 2020
378 posts
354 upvotes
In BC, the technical safety authority's permit fee schedule includes a specific multi-use permit for contractors doing large quantities of low value, low voltage work. The description of the permit reads:
Multi-permit/decal sheet (25 permits non-transferrable and non-refundable) - for use only in applications with a value less than or equal to $250 excluding utilization equipment and utilizing 30 volts or less and max. 100 VA (E.g. security alarms, central vacuum, telephone, data, audio)
Note that data wiring is specifically included.

Questions would best be directed to the electrical code authority in your province.

I would be very surprised if a homeowner who installed Ethernet drops on their own single-family property would get in trouble for doing so, but doing this sort of work for money without the appropriate credentials is quite risky.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2065 posts
667 upvotes
Ask local alarm system installers how much to pull a cable if you supply all the materials and they don't have to crimp the connectors (you can do the punchdown yourself). Should be significantly cheaper than hiring a "specialist" who knows networking cabling.

Jokerpersona wrote: Are you handy? Could run the ethernet cable outside instead of inside, down the side of the house from room to basement. I did this at my house, except paid someone. It was $600 including materials for 4 drops this way.
If you have central heating/cooling, plenum cable can make runs significantly easier.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
chinaboy1021 wrote: Hi all

Is there somebody I can hire to do an access point install at a house? The Rogers modem is on the 2nd floor, and I need better internet in the basement. Looking to have this done asap.
Just do it yourself. It's not rocket science. YouTube it.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top