• May 29th, 2019 9:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Looking for a hotel near Union Station

We're taking Via Rail from Vancouver to Toronto in a couple of weeks, and knowing Via is notorious for being late, anywhere from one to ten hours, we'll likely require a hotel upon arrival.
It needs to be near Union Station as we're taking the Go Train the next day down to Hamilton where a friend will pick us up.
We would like to stay under $300 for the night and the hotel should have a good restaurant for breakfast, or a suitable restaurant nearby.
I'm sure the neighbourhood around Union Station is far better than the one around the Vancouver station, but if it isn't, a quiet, somewhat secure area will have to do.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4374 posts
2668 upvotes
Gotham
The Royal York Hotel is directly across the street from Union Station. You don't even need to go outside as they are connected underground via the PATH system.

It is mostly business people near union station and no crack addicts like Vancouver. Winking Face

I almost forgot, across the street to the west of the Royal York is the Strathcona Hotel on York Street. I used to go to the bar in the basement. The bar used to be dive-y (but good), but it's been since renovated.
Last edited by batcave on May 26th, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1315 posts
906 upvotes
Etobicoke
Royal York or the Westin Harbour Castle
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Check the Renaissance Hotel in Rogers Centre.

Had family visiting Toronto who stayed there last summer and was quite surprised how little they paid (given there was even a game going on).

Don’t know how much Crown Plaza is these days but they rely heavily on the MTCC crowd.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2566 upvotes
Mississauga
Novotel is right near the Union Bus Station. Across from it is Old Spaghetti Factory, Bier Markt, Keg, etc. St Lawrence Market and many other places close by.

Royal York is across from Union Station. But don't eat in the restaurants as there are lots of affordable places just outside.

Marche in Brookfield Place has nice breakfast. It's really close to both hotels.
Last edited by Raggie on May 26th, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Wow, some costly hotels in that area.
Royal York is about $450 +taxes.
Strathcona looks more reasonable at about $290+
Westin Harbour $550
Renaissance Hotel $760+ Fearful Face
Novotel $450+

I'll give the Strathcona a try.
We're arriving on a weeknight, maybe that's why they're all so pricey. Weekends are definitely cheaper.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3694 posts
3191 upvotes
poleman wrote: Wow, some costly hotels in that area.
Westin Harbour $550
Novotel $450+

We're arriving on a weeknight, maybe that's why they're all so pricey. Weekends are definitely cheaper.
What dates are you looking for. I see Royal York for $216 plus tax.

Personally I think all these hotel choices are bad.

You could just get yourself a suite a 1 King West and cook your own breakfast. The hotel is connected via PATH and 1 Subway station to Union. It would be less effort than just walking to nearby hotels on Union.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15459 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Westin Harbour $550
Novotel $450+

Ya, welcome to TO

Although, to be fair, the cost of travel has gone up SIGNIFICANTLY in the last few years cause Accommodations EVERYWHERE, the world over ... have risen in price after being pretty much frozen (at the $ 100 to $ 150 mark for close to a decade) ... hard to find anything these days that cheap anymore. And big cities like TO, gonna pay a lot more.

In your situation, convenience has a price too (plus as noted it’s a weekday / work day ... and it’s the core of Downtown for Biz).
So anything in the $ 250 to $ 375 range IS a good deal.

I’ve stayed at most of the Hotels that others have listed ... ya can’t go wrong with any of them.
But as noted, if you want to save some cash, eat outside the hotel
Which is easy, there are lots of Restaurants in the area
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4733 posts
1141 upvotes
Scarborough
Delta Toronto is also next to Union Station.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
It almost varies night to night, especially in the summer. For example, I wasn't able to find anything below ~$600 on Tuesday downtown.

When I want to be near Union, then nothing beats the Royal York.
Dec 7, 2003
863 posts
102 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: What dates are you looking for. I see Royal York for $216 plus tax.

Personally I think all these hotel choices are bad.

You could just get yourself a suite a 1 King West and cook your own breakfast. The hotel is connected via PATH and 1 Subway station to Union. It would be less effort than just walking to nearby hotels on Union.
Agreed. One King West is accessible through PATH via Brookfield Place from Union. You get a much better room than these other places, plus you get a kitchen.

Royal York would be the most convenient, but it is in serious need of renovation.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2566 upvotes
Mississauga
MasterAvatar wrote: Agreed. One King West is accessible through PATH via Brookfield Place from Union. You get a much better room than these other places, plus you get a kitchen.

Royal York would be the most convenient, but it is in serious need of renovation.
The rooms in Royal York are actually very nice.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Westin Harbour $550
Novotel $450+

Union is accessible via subway. So you could broaden your search up Yonge Street (Marriott Eaton Centre / Chelsea Hotel) or University Avenue (Hilton Toronto / Sheraton Toronto) . Then just hop on the subway a few stops. Used to walk from Union to Ryerson in 15-20 minutes.

Can’t really think of anywhere that’s going to be super cheap- what about Airbnb? Tons of condos nearby. Haven’t used Airbnb personally.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3694 posts
3191 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Union is accessible via subway. So you could broaden your search up Yonge Street (Marriott Eaton Centre / Chelsea Hotel) or University Avenue (Hilton Toronto / Sheraton Toronto) . Then just hop on the subway a few stops. Used to walk from Union to Ryerson in 15-20 minutes.

Can’t really think of anywhere that’s going to be super cheap- what about Airbnb? Tons of condos nearby. Haven’t used Airbnb personally.
Hilton and Chelsea hotels are not really convenient.

If you need to go that far Sheraton would be a better choice.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BiegeToyota wrote: Hilton and Chelsea hotels are not really convenient.

If you need to go that far Sheraton would be a better choice.
Under $300 the OP may not have much choice.

Just had a meeting recently at Ruth Chris under the Hilton with a client who was staying there. It was raining that day and I walked underground using the PATH from the subway and met them in the lobby. Wasn’t bad.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4977 posts
4341 upvotes
batcave wrote: The Royal York Hotel is directly across the street from Union Station. You don't even need to go outside as they are connected underground via the PATH system.

It is mostly business people near union station and no crack addicts like Vancouver. Winking Face

I almost forgot, across the street to the west of the Royal York is the Strathcona Hotel on York Street. I used to go to the bar in the basement. The bar used to be dive-y (but good), but it's been since renovated.
The Strath, you've been around the block Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4374 posts
2668 upvotes
Gotham
MrMom wrote: The Strath, you've been around the block Face With Tears Of Joy
I'm friends with Tad. I've had a drink in every bar in the city. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4177 posts
2075 upvotes
The Intercontinental and Delta are both easily accessible as well. Both are also connected to PATH, but Delta is easier to get too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8594 posts
1502 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you have any interest in being in Toronto? If not does your train stop in Oshawa? I’d say bunk down there then proceed to Hamilton

If you have a. Free place to stay in Hamilton and miss the last go train you could taxi or uber from union as well.
Autocorrect sucks