Looking for idea on full shade vine plant for hardiness zone 6B

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2021 1:00 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
488 posts
261 upvotes

Looking for idea on full shade vine plant for hardiness zone 6B

A friend is looking for a perennial decorative vine that would climb and cover 6ft cedar fence.

The yard has lot of mature trees and when they are green, fence hardly gets any sun exposure. Hardiness zone 6B.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4836 posts
3702 upvotes
I think clematis is your only real option in deep shade if you don't want anything invasive like Virginia creeper or ivy. I wouldn't plant anything invasive inground. Granted my knowledge is only of zone 5. You might be better off searching online for zone 6 as I don't know if there are many people on here that live in zone 6.
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
488 posts
261 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I think clematis is your only real option in deep shade if you don't want anything invasive like Virginia creeper or ivy. I wouldn't plant anything invasive in-ground. Granted my knowledge is only of zone 5. You might be better off searching online for zone 6 as I don't know if there are many people on here that live in zone 6.
Thank you. Clematis sure looks good and gives a nice cover.

I have zero experience with vines so, first thing I did was online research and it is hard to find something for that tolerates full shade and survives our winters. There is some conflicting info online, for example according to The Spruce Virginia creeper requires full sun to partial shade.

Even Virginia Creeper or English Ivy would be considered, they seem like easy growers that can tolerate a lot just need work to keep them in check.

He has plenty of fence area, perhaps we will just try to get several different kinds of vines and see which one works best and choose next year which one to propagate.