Looking to import a standing desk frame from the USA

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2021 3:36 pm
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes

Looking to import a standing desk frame from the USA

Hi there,

I am interested in buying a standing desk from an american company. They offer shipping to Canada through Fedex ground but I would be responsible to pay for duties and taxes. The desk comes in 2 boxes. I was wondering, under the CUSMA, if the desk frame is considered an american product if it has chinese motors in the legs, controller and paddle and it's assembled/manufactured by the american company even if it's using some chinese parts.

If so, how can I declare this to CBSA using fedex so they don't charge me duties? Does it need to be written on the box that it's "made in the usa" or does the seller have to fill some paperwork? As mentionned, he wants me to pay for duties and taxes but he will charge me the shipping through fedex, so do I have to fill out some paperwork?

Is there a way to pay the duties/taxes myself so Fedex doesn't charge me a broker fee?

Is there a service that I could use that could provide me a US address and then ship the product to me in Quebec? The company offers free shipping in the USA.

Thank you all for your help!

Thank you very much.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
You can try self clearing with FedEx but from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty difficult given they generally don’t respond until after the package has already been cleared and released. Calling them during covid isn’t likely to get an answer but you can try.

As far as where the product is from, I believe every product should have the product of origin label in the box and customs should use that to determine where it’s from/amount of duty (if any). You could try linking the product to see if others can help you identify where the product is from.

There are companies that do mail forwarding (as well as mail receiving but that really isn’t an option with the land border closed). Since i live in bc, im not sure which ones are good for Quebec area (I most use mail receiving services not forwarding). Of course it might not necessarily be any cheaper getting it mail forwarded given you are paying for both receiving services as well as the cost to ship it to you. Normally mail forwarding would be used because the seller doesn’t ship directly to Canada.
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes
Paigne wrote: You can try self clearing with FedEx but from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty difficult given they generally don’t respond until after the package has already been cleared and released. Calling them during covid isn’t likely to get an answer but you can try.

As far as where the product is from, I believe every product should have the product of origin label in the box and customs should use that to determine where it’s from/amount of duty (if any). You could try linking the product to see if others can help you identify where the product is from.

There are companies that do mail forwarding (as well as mail receiving but that really isn’t an option with the land border closed). Since i live in bc, im not sure which ones are good for Quebec area (I most use mail receiving services not forwarding). Of course it might not necessarily be any cheaper getting it mail forwarded given you are paying for both receiving services as well as the cost to ship it to you. Normally mail forwarding would be used because the seller doesn’t ship directly to Canada.
Hi, thank you for your answer.

This is the product: https://desk.haus/products/apex-pro-2 It comes in two boxes and the company charges me like US$115 per box. I think in each box, you find 2 legs and 1 feet. so, it would be like US$230 for shipping and about US$200 for taxes and fees by fedex. It would be more if there is duties to be paid.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I used to work for Canada Customs …

That desk is clearly listed on the website as …
Proudly Made in Western Michigan … scroll down past the price info

https://desk.haus/products/apex-pro-2

So even tho it has some Chinese electronics
It’s gonna be considered Made in the USA
And that should also be confirmed by any paperwork from the Co. to you
So you should not have to pay any Duties
(Take a screen shot of the item from the website … handy to have )

Being in Montreal …
If you are willing to make a road trip
Your cheapest option to get this just under $ 1000 US item to you
Could be to head over to Dundee QC (1 or so hours by car, SW of Montreal )

And use the services of Halfway House Freight Forwarding Co. who sit literally halfway on the US-Canada Border … and can therefore be easily used in these Covid / Border Closed times for drop offs in the USA, and pick ups in Canada (all conveniently in the same building ! )

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1427494/o ... g-pandemic

Coordinates = 44.9980752, -74.5074826
Website = https://hwhff.biz/

You might want to call them before engaging their services … so you know what to expect
But it’s probably the EASIEST & CHEAPEST option for you at this time

This way … you get to enjoy the FREE US Shipping that Desk-Haus offers
Pay whatever amount Halfway House wants for receiving
And then you can easily self clear the pkg with CBSA … literally next door

$ 927 US based on today’s exchange = $ 1156.59
So Cdn Taxes you’d be looking at
GST = 5 %
QST = 9.975 %
= $ 173.20 CDN

Heck of a lot cheaper than any other options at this time.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Not the same desk, but basically the same thing (where the motors are Chinese, but the desk was made in the US). It was the BTOD VertDesk V3 (just the base). This was 5 years ago, but I only paid taxes. However, I got it shipped to Buffalo, picked it up from there and paid the taxes at the border. There was really no other option as BTOD doesn't ship to Canada, but did offer free shipping to anywhere in the US.

Just want to say how crazy these prices have gotten. I paid $450USD back then and the same desk with the same options is over $760USD now.
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: I used to work for Canada Customs …

That desk is clearly listed on the website as …
Proudly Made in Western Michigan … scroll down past the price info

https://desk.haus/products/apex-pro-2

So even tho it has some Chinese electronics
It’s gonna be considered Made in the USA
And that should also be confirmed by any paperwork from the Co. to you
So you should not have to pay any Duties
(Take a screen shot of the item from the website … handy to have )

Being in Montreal …
If you are willing to make a road trip
Your cheapest option to get this just under $ 1000 US item to you
Could be to head over to Dundee QC (1 or so hours by car, SW of Montreal )

And use the services of Halfway House Freight Forwarding Co. who sit literally halfway on the US-Canada Border … and can therefore be easily used in these Covid / Border Closed times for drop offs in the USA, and pick ups in Canada (all conveniently in the same building ! )

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1427494/o ... g-pandemic

Coordinates = 44.9980752, -74.5074826
Website = https://hwhff.biz/

You might want to call them before engaging their services … so you know what to expect
But it’s probably the EASIEST & CHEAPEST option for you at this time

This way … you get to enjoy the FREE US Shipping that Desk-Haus offers
Pay whatever amount Halfway House wants for receiving
And then you can easily self clear the pkg with CBSA … literally next door

$ 927 US based on today’s exchange = $ 1156.59
So Cdn Taxes you’d be looking at
GST = 5 %
QST = 9.975 %
= $ 173.20 CDN

Heck of a lot cheaper than any other options at this time.
Wow! Thanks a lot!!! I will contact them to make sure I understand how it works. They want us to fill a form to register, but do I need to do this before buying the product of after the product is bought. I guess it's before! I wonder how long they can hold the package because I am from Quebec city so I will need to go on saturday to pick it up!
Apr 8, 2021
822 posts
1074 upvotes
Poutine
Tangential, but why choose this frame over other similar frames on the market?
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎

Happy RFD member since 2001.
Happy Public Mobile Customer since 2017
Happy VoIP.ms Customer since 2011

+14
Jul 29, 2015
308 posts
290 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought a Fully Jarvis system and 60" top in February. They shipped from Oregon to Saskatoon for $134. No duties, or it was already included in the shipping costs. I think during my research I also came to the conclusion that Haus was "the best" desk, but the hassle of getting it here turn me off.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I think "you get what you pay for" applies a lot when it comes to quality of the lift mechanisms, electronics, and stability. There are tons of $300-400 desks that have the cheapest possible build quality, and then these desks can cost thousands for something very solid and backed by a company that will be around to sell you replacement parts.

I bought a Full Jarvis too and am happy with it. They had the desktops that I liked, and the lift mechanism is a well known Chinese OEM
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
iphonebleh wrote: Hi, thank you for your answer.

This is the product: https://desk.haus/products/apex-pro-2 It comes in two boxes and the company charges me like US$115 per box. I think in each box, you find 2 legs and 1 feet. so, it would be like US$230 for shipping and about US$200 for taxes and fees by fedex. It would be more if there is duties to be paid.
Not sure what shipping is within the USA but if it's like a lot of things from the USA, the shipping is reasonable within the US and unreasonable to outside the US. To avoid the BS brokerage type charges, you can consider using a service like Shippsy which is well discussed in this thread.

anyone-try-shippsy-2394939/

You don't indicate your LOCATION [please fix your profile] but if it's GTA and you can pick up, Shippsy is a great alternative. I've used the service a half dozen times or more and have not had issues and the fees are $6.99/pkg. If there are duties and taxes that's added on top and s/b no different than what you would pay regardless. There is no BS brokerage surprises this way.

That stand up desk is pretty expensive IMO....ever consider just buying local from Primecables or some other company. Lots of ppl including myself have a Primecables model [had mine for 3 yrs now] and no complaints whatsoever. This one you're looking at is like 3X the price. Pretty sure even if you get a lemon, doubt you'd get 3 lemons. Save the money and get yourself a nice chair [that you're not going to sit in as you're standing LOL] perhaps.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: That stand up desk is pretty expensive IMO....ever consider just buying local from Primecables or some other company. Lots of ppl including myself have a Primecables model [had mine for 3 yrs now] and no complaints whatsoever. This one you're looking at is like 3X the price. Pretty sure even if you get a lemon, doubt you'd get 3 lemons. Save the money and get yourself a nice chair [that you're not going to sit in as you're standing LOL] perhaps.
You get what you pay for.

The weight capacity of the desk he's looking at is 2X-3X the cheap ones from PrimeCables and it has more lift range (lower and higher). Most of the cheap desks wobble a LOT at standing height, more if you are taller.

https://www.btod.com/blog/what-is-wobblemeter/
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
warpdrive wrote: You get what you pay for.

The weight capacity of the desk he's looking at is 2X-3X the cheap ones from PrimeCables and it has more lift range (lower and higher). Most of the cheap desks wobble a LOT at standing height, more if you are taller.

https://www.btod.com/blog/what-is-wobblemeter/
That's great if you want to put that much weight on there or you have a really heavy top. If you have a standard top and standard stuff on the desk it'll still wobble unless you put sand bags on the leg base.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: That's great if you want to put that much weight on there or you have a really heavy top. If you have a standard top and standard stuff on the desk it'll still wobble unless you put sand bags on the leg base.
No, they don't all wobble the same. it's a matter of the structural integrity of the legs and frame. The reviews go over why some desks wobble more than others. Here's some particularly bad ones.

https://www.btod.com/blog/most-unstable ... s/#reasons

Just like with a chair, if you spend more for a good chair, it will give you years and years of service. Same applies to a desk.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@iphonebleh
Any news on your desk ?

Been about 3 weeks since your OP, and so many things have changed this month in regards to the US-Canada Border
So wondering what your plans are now