Looking to Incorporate - via OWNR.co

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2021 6:04 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
520 posts
36 upvotes

Looking to Incorporate - via OWNR.co

Hey all, I am a consultant and operate as a sole proprietor. I would like to incorporate for various reasons and wondered if anyone here has used OWNR? They are directly represented on the RBC website as their partners. They charge about $600 / annually for the following services: https://www.ownr.co/pricing#features

I am wondering if I need to pay that much extra in order to incorporate or if I should just choose the $0 option?
RBC is also offering a $300 rebate for opening a new account so basically the fee that OWNR charges is being refunded back.

Has anyone does incorporated through OWNR?
Images
  • OWNR.JPG
-=Strider-g3=-
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6705 posts
4276 upvotes
Toronto
You being sole proprietor right now, how many partners and officers are you expecting to have when the corporation is up and running?

Are you planning to have these shareholders meeting by yourself and what would you guys(or just yourself) talk about?

Even with boards with large shareholders, what do you think they talk about?

I would just dump these helping leeches aside and just incorporate by yourself. As a brand new company, you can get your minute book, corp seals, binders, paper that says who the officers are as company grow and when you need them. I don't remember last time someone asked for mine in last 2 decades.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1937 posts
1183 upvotes
Striderg3 wrote: Hey all, I am a consultant and operate as a sole proprietor. I would like to incorporate for various reasons and wondered if anyone here has used OWNR? They are directly represented on the RBC website as their partners. They charge about $600 / annually for the following services: https://www.ownr.co/pricing#features

I am wondering if I need to pay that much extra in order to incorporate or if I should just choose the $0 option?
RBC is also offering a $300 rebate for opening a new account so basically the fee that OWNR charges is being refunded back.

Has anyone does incorporated through OWNR?
Do it yourself for $300. It is as simple as filling out one form and mailing it in. 4-6 weeks later... You get your numbered Corp in the mail.

PM me and I can assist if needed.
Dec 25, 2007
679 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
I used Ownr for my consulting company and it was relatively painless. I think all said and done with the name search it took about 4 business days. Make sure you sign up for Amplii for an extra $100+ in cashback+ you can get some sort of referral credits usually.

Using RBC for your business bank account is actually quite painful. Took those jokers 4 months to issue my business credit card. I emailed in a complaint and got back: "I regrettably do not know the usual delays for credit card applications."
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
520 posts
36 upvotes
Ok I am not going to use OWNR then and just do this myself directly via Government website.
It will be myself plus spouse that will handle meetings. We would talk about expanding operations, gaining new business, etc.
-=Strider-g3=-
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
520 posts
36 upvotes
I forgot to mention that most of my clients are US based so I guess I need to incorporate federally and not provincially.. I filled out nearly the full provincial form and then realized its not a federal incorporation.. Paid for the NUANS report already, guess that was a waste of time!
-=Strider-g3=-
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6705 posts
4276 upvotes
Toronto
Striderg3 wrote: I forgot to mention that most of my clients are US based so I guess I need to incorporate federally and not provincially.. I filled out nearly the full provincial form and then realized its not a federal incorporation.. Paid for the NUANS report already, guess that was a waste of time!
I think only difference between fed and provincal is that fed is $50 cheaper. Both fed or prov corp can do business with US or rest of the world. Another point that fed might be better is when you want to have physical presence in other provinces.

So if you already paid name search, and want to continue with prov, I would just do that.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
520 posts
36 upvotes
Ended up incorporating myself and it wasn't difficult at all. Total cost was about $220 or so including the NUANS search. I got my corporate certificate within a day or so.

Given that majority of the funds I will receive will be in USD, what bank should I go with for a small business bank account? I currently bank with RBC and have my business account(s) with them. No fees given the minimum balance is met
-=Strider-g3=-
Mar 15, 2009
95 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Without getting into details, whatever you decide to do, do not use INCORP PRO.
Big rip off and you will regret it.

Cheers
Sep 21, 2021
3 posts
I’m incorporating a business and need to set up minutes. Can you tell me where I can purchase standard bylaws?
Jan 14, 2008
760 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Hi I'm looking to incorporate a provincial corp for my consulting business, as a sole owner if it.

What i gathered from this thread is i can simply do it my self online.

Are there any tips to the minute book and by-laws or anything else i should be aware of?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1317 posts
669 upvotes
Torontario
gc99 wrote: Hi I'm looking to incorporate a provincial corp for my consulting business, as a sole owner if it.

What i gathered from this thread is i can simply do it my self online.

Are there any tips to the minute book and by-laws or anything else i should be aware of?
For a consulting shop - do yourself a favor and get a federal corporation: https://corporationscanada.ic.gc.ca/eic ... 06939.html
Feds put a good questionnaire and generate the charter for you.
and then register for a HST/GST. Feds will pass your data to Ontario and you will get a Ontatio BN as well.

If you are so hang up to books and bi-laws - I know this shop that sells them: https://www.canadianbusinessresources.c ... ns-federal
No affiliation of these guys from my side.