Looking for insurance - past impounded from Ontario 50km/h law

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2021 11:56 am
Feb 21, 2021
1 posts
2 upvotes

Looking for insurance - past impounded from Ontario 50km/h law

Hey guys,

7 years ago I made a stupid decision to go 163 km/h on the 401 and got caught. I was impounded by OPP. I hired a paralegal who dropped it down to a 49 over but a 7 day suspension was on my record. Also I had a automatic suspension from a non payment of a fine 5+ years ago but apparently those don't show up on your record.

Since then I have had a clean record and won't be driving like that again. We are all young and dumb right, anyways now that I'm close to 30 now I'm looking at getting my own insurance as I was listed as a primary driver on my parents policy.

TLDR, am I still **** from the past decisions even though I been clean for 7+ years?
I know there is a box when you apply for insurance that asks if you ever been suspended.

I hear after x amount of time it won't show up on your record and you will be fine but also I don't want to risk lying to insurance company and getting denied which apparently will mess me up for ever getting future insurance in Ontario.

What do you guys think? Cheers.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Just want to commend you for being a responsible driver since your last suspension. 7 years is a long time to prove that you change your ways and the insurance companies should acknowledge that.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
There might be a timing lag from when their records get updated. Maybe a cushion period is required. I say just wait it out a bit.

And th suspension, more of a secondary impact might be different then the actual 'incident' that gets expunged after 7 years.
Oct 25, 2020
564 posts
502 upvotes
Pull your driver abstract and have a look.

Also just call an insurance company and request a quote. They will pull everything and if anything is visible to them they will tell you.
Oct 19, 2016
54 posts
12 upvotes
ThatGuyYYZ wrote: Hey guys,

7 years ago I made a stupid decision to go 163 km/h on the 401 and got caught. I was impounded by OPP. I hired a paralegal who dropped it down to a 49 over but a 7 day suspension was on my record. Also I had a automatic suspension from a non payment of a fine 5+ years ago but apparently those don't show up on your record.

Since then I have had a clean record and won't be driving like that again. We are all young and dumb right, anyways now that I'm close to 30 now I'm looking at getting my own insurance as I was listed as a primary driver on my parents policy.

TLDR, am I still **** from the past decisions even though I been clean for 7+ years?
I know there is a box when you apply for insurance that asks if you ever been suspended.

I hear after x amount of time it won't show up on your record and you will be fine but also I don't want to risk lying to insurance company and getting denied which apparently will mess me up for ever getting future insurance in Ontario.

theres nothing dangerous with what you did, no need to apologize. the law is just stupid. You have to remember our speeding limits are like 60+ years old when cars were nothing like they are today safety wise/mechanically. Sorry other than that I have nothing to add.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
I think you are confusing two separate things. You need to research the following:

When you apply for insurance they ask you IF you have been suspended. License suspended? Or insurance suspended? It is two different things.

If your license was suspended because administrative reasons (non payment of a fine), then you are OK. I understand insurance companies do not penalize you for those. They shouldn't even ask that question.

The other situation is different. Depends on the question! Answer truthfully.

I was in the same situation, my car (powerful Mazda 5) impounded because over 50km/h street racing law. I can tell you, it is a stupid law.
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Reading your post again....

Your record should be clean after 7 years.

If in doubt, get your abstract as already posted above.

I am with TD insurance, but they tell me Belair is very aggressively taking over the market, I would get a quote from them.
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EricoChico99 wrote: theres nothing dangerous with what you did, no need to apologize. the law is just stupid. You have to remember our speeding limits are like 60+ years old when cars were nothing like they are today safety wise/mechanically. Sorry other than that I have nothing to add.
The law is bullshit. Better off driving drunk and I'm not even kidding...
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: The law is bullshit. Better off driving drunk and I'm not even kidding...
Kill a multi-generation family while drunk? 3 years in club Fed (probably 1/2 if the appeals drag on) and you’re chillin like it never happened.

Do 50 km/h over when no ones on the road? 7+ Years of relegated to an archaic transit system; no job prospects; $10000+ insurance premiums etc.

Personally, I’d see going with #1 as being the best on paper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
suspensions are rated up to 6 years, convictions 3 years and accidents 6 years. Some companies have a preferred rating of 7 -10 years accident free.

ThatGuyYYZ wrote: Hey guys,

RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)