• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 7:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9657 posts
1113 upvotes

Looking for internet connection suggestions

I am planning to setup a workstation (will be used as home office) in a room that currently does not have a LAN connection or strong WiFi. I wonder what the good and easy solution to get the internet connection for the computer there. Should I buy one of those power outlet plugs for LAN line connection ? I have no experience with it. I heard we simply need to plug the device to the power plug and that's it. Is it true ? Is it as good as connection as a regular LAN line ?

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
Need more details
- house/condo/townhouse? old house new house?
- how big is the house, how far away from wireless router?

THose powerline adapters are a gamble, be sure to buy from somewhere where you can return. Sometimes you get good speeds, sometimes not,

Popular solution these days are mesh wifi systems.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9657 posts
1113 upvotes
- 12 years old house
- Actually it is only 30 feet from the router. But the location of PC in this room will be like horizontal to where the router is and facing is, not sure if it impacts the WiFi signal.

Don't get me wrong. There is WiFi signal in the room. I just want a stronger and more stable connection for the work from home station. That's why I am thinking of the powerline adapter.
bhrm wrote: Need more details
- house/condo/townhouse? old house new house?
- how big is the house, how far away from wireless router?

THose powerline adapters are a gamble, be sure to buy from somewhere where you can return. Sometimes you get good speeds, sometimes not,

Popular solution these days are mesh wifi systems.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2239 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
Who is your internet service provider and what modem/router are you using.. (I use moca/coax and with certain Cogeco internet plans you can get the necessary hardware for free..)

A powerline adapter is a similar option.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9763 posts
4066 upvotes
Vaughan
rdx wrote: - 12 years old house
- Actually it is only 30 feet from the router. But the location of PC in this room will be like horizontal to where the router is and facing is, not sure if it impacts the WiFi signal.

Don't get me wrong. There is WiFi signal in the room. I just want a stronger and more stable connection for the work from home station. That's why I am thinking of the powerline adapter.
Can you connect to router via wire? Run the cat5e/6 wire along baseboard. If possible you will get stronger and stable connection.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9657 posts
1113 upvotes
geogolem wrote: Who is your internet service provider and what modem/router are you using.. (I use moca/coax and with certain Cogeco internet plans you can get the necessary hardware for free..)

A powerline adapter is a similar option.
CarryTel, don't they will give any free hardware
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
rdx wrote: - 12 years old house

Buy the PowerLine from Best Buy or Staples, so you can return if it doesn't work out. PowerLine is the cheapest way and your house being 12 years old, it should be fine. It gets sketchy if it's older.