Looking for Internet deal Edmonton Alberta

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2015 6:05 pm
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Looking for Internet deal Edmonton Alberta

Please reps, do not pm me your crappy deals! If it's not a permanent price, I don't want it. I can keep up this price indefinitely, I keep calling when it's about to expire to extend or cancel every time they say they no longer offer the deal and miraculously once i'm with retentions, they always extend the offer for me for 6 months or a year. I'm just sick of calling in every year or so. I want a stable price so I can ignore it.

So I'm looking for a non short term promo deal for internet in Edmonton Alberta. I'm currently with Telus on the 15/15 deal with another $15 for unlimited because 150Gb is not near enough (didn't used to have to pay the extra $15 because they never cared if you went over, so it used to be $30). So I'm currently paying $45 per month for TV and 15Mbps down 1Mbps up Internet. I don't really need TV although it's nice to have for the few shows I actually watch that they have so I don't have to download them. I have Netflix and a computer for anything Netfix doesn't offer.

I'm looking for minimum 15Mbps download and minimum 512Kbps upload, need at least 300Gb of data, more than 400Gb would be preferable since I currently average about 380Gb per month watching all that Netflix. I could live with 300Gb though, probably just switch the settings on Netflix to play at lower quality by default.

I'm currently thinking of switching to Teksavvy on one of these cable plans:

300GB $34.95 15Mbps/512Kbps
Unlimited $39.95 15Mbps/512Kbps
300GB $44.95 30Mbps/2.5Mbps
Unlimited $49.95 30Mbps/2.5Mbps

I use voip, but I think even 512Kbps is probably sufficient for that. But I'm tempted to jump to the 30Mbps/2.5Mbps one just to make sure. Plus double my current download would be nice. Still unsure on whether I would go for the unlimited or not, but at $5 more per month, I'll probably do it just to not worry.

When it was $30 per month and no cap, I was quite happy with my Telus plan, even with calling in every year. But Now I can get comparible speeds for $5-10 less depending on limited or unlimited, or for $0-5 more I can get faster speed and limited or unlimited.

It's a shame Alberta doesn't have the free activation fee that is available out East. And I'd have to pay for a modem. But once I'm done with that, I'd never have to bother with calling in to keep my current rate, which would be nice.

If anyone knows of another better or cheaper option, please let me know. Again, no short term promo plans!

Edit: So apparently if I switch over from Shaw, there is no activation fee. So I'm considering switching the $35/month for 6 months deal from shaw for Internet 30, then switching to Teksavvy and staying there indefinitely. Activation fee is $80-20 for buying the modem = $60. For saving $60 I'm willing to switch one extra time since it should be the last time I ever have to. Oh plus $60 in savings for spending $35/month for internet 30 vs $45 from Techsavvy for the 6 month promo. Actually that $120 I'd save by going onto the Shaw promo first before Techsavvy will pay for my modem. Sweet!
Lucky Mobile $20/m 3Gb (unlimited at 128Kbps)
Rocking a Pixel 6A for $299 till Google makes a better finger print scanner

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)