Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18925 posts
1984 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Looking for a knife.

I’ve been using the IKEA Jamfora set mainly just the cooks knife as they call it whixh is at under 6” and I find it fits well in my hands. The only problem is it’s light, has a sharp tang and unprotected. I’ve cut my fingers on it twice now by not handling it carefully. Every time I pick it up I have to be extra careful and I’m also afraid of it at times. At any rate, I picked up another one of knead chefs knife which came in at 8” it’s the IKEA 365+ series but I find it too long and completely too big for me.

They have the vegetable knife and utility knife which both come in around 6” so I think it may be up my alley. What’s the difference between the two? Google says utility knives are for tasks that are too big for a chefs knife and too small for a pairing knife but what’s departing it with a vegetable knives, eh?

I’m thinking of returning the chefs knife but could come in handy in a home invasion.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6334 posts
3233 upvotes
Aurora
Supercooled wrote: I’ve been using the IKEA Jamfora set mainly just the cooks knife as they call it whixh is at under 6” and I find it fits well in my hands. The only problem is it’s light, has a sharp tang and unprotected. I’ve cut my fingers on it twice now by not handling it carefully. Every time I pick it up I have to be extra careful and I’m also afraid of it at times. At any rate, I picked up another one of knead chefs knife which came in at 8” it’s the IKEA 365+ series but I find it too long and completely too big for me.

They have the vegetable knife and utility knife which both come in around 6” so I think it may be up my alley. What’s the difference between the two? Google says utility knives are for tasks that are too big for a chefs knife and too small for a pairing knife but what’s departing it with a vegetable knives, eh?

I’m thinking of returning the chefs knife but could come in handy in a home invasion.
I may be wrong but I get the impression that part of the issue boils down to confidence in blade craft. My opinion only, but the 8" chef's knife should be the go-to knife in the kitchen that you use for 80% of cutting tasks. The general purpose knife that's good for most things. Heavy enough for most cuts except through bone which you'd use a cleaver and dexterous enough to dice onions and shred green onions lengthwise with the tip. Second knife, I may choose a paring knife or the utility knife. I can't really see the need for the blunt end vegetable knife as I'd do most of the vegetable work with the chef's knife. Third, I'd opt for some kind of serrated knife. Three knives in the kitchen is pretty much all I'd need for non-professional use.

BTW, it's not the "tang" that's sharp. The tang is the part of the knife that extends into the handle. What you mean is that the "heel" is sharp - the cutting edge extends all the way to the back of the blade. My Global G2 chef's knife is like that too. And yes, I've cut myself on that damned corner. You can simply not sharpen that section in the future or even file it down to more forgiving proportions.

Finally, I'm not sure if you've got the utility knife function correct. It's like a small chef's knife. So it's for jobs smaller than an 8" chef's knife but larger than a pairing knife. Another knife I find redundant if proficient with a full chef's knife.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3995 posts
732 upvotes
West Side GTA
Personally I find the 8" chef knives too big for how I like to handle things (I have quite a few over the years as gifts/hand me downs etc. Also a bit of a knife guy in the kitchen lol).

Ever since I picked up my 6" Kramer Euroline Chef Knife I haven't looked back though. It's smaller and more nimble for my hands and fits my wife's hands too. It's always my goto knife along with my 5.5" Santoku (for rock motion cutting and has hollow ground).

Keep in mind I'm not cutting big veggies like watermelon / cantaloupes / butternut squashes on a regular basis here...I have my cleaver and 8/10" slicing knives for those :)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2729 posts
2325 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Costco have Global on big sale from time to time. I got one couple years back and love it.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12949 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: They have the vegetable knife and utility knife which both come in around 6” so I think it may be up my alley. What’s the difference between the two? Google says utility knives are for tasks that are too big for a chefs knife and too small for a pairing knife but what’s departing it with a vegetable knives, eh?

A vegetable knife sometimes has a granton edge (those little long "divots" along the blade) to help lessen surface tension along the blade so vegetables slide off.
They can also be thinner and lighter.
Dimensionally speaking they're about 5-6".

A utility knife is just a small chefs knife but as @DiceMan pointed out below, it's kinda useless.

HOWEVER! A knife is only good if it's comfortable for you. Someone can tell you an 8" is superior all day long, but if it's too long or whatever for your needs, it's gonna be stupid.
I also recommend an 8" chefs since it's small enough to be of use but large enough to do larger jobs but if you absolutely feel likeit's too long get the utility.
IMO it doesn't do nearly a good of job as a chefs due to the height of the knife but as long as the blade is sharp and you're comfortable with it, it'll work just fine.
DiceMan wrote:
Finally, I'm not sure if you've got the utility knife function correct. It's like a small chef's knife. So it's for jobs smaller than an 8" chef's knife but larger than a pairing knife. Another knife I find redundant if proficient with a full chef's knife.
Me too. It's why they include it in so many knife sets. It's a small cheap knife that has no use.
Either that or this becomes the "default" knife and the 8" gets no use.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1733 posts
353 upvotes
Victorinox has 7 inch chef's knives in their Fibrox line that's a classic shape. They also sell a 6 inch chef's knife but imo that's too small and shallow.

Fibrox knives get good ratings and are pretty cheap so you're not out a lot if it doesn't work out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6148 posts
544 upvotes
BC
I use my global 8" chef's knife for almost everything. I also have the 7" santoku but barley use it since getting the chef.
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 8, 2015
234 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Use what fits in your hand comfortably and you have confidence using.