• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2013 12:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON

Looking for a Laptop

Hi,

I am looking to spend $400-500 on a laptop for university. I would like to get something reliable with good build quality that can lost a while.
I am looking to possibly get a 3rd gen i5 (or 3rd i7 if you guys think the prices will drop enough with the 4th gen coming out) and 6gb+ ram. I'm not too worried about dedicated graphics
because I don't expect to do much gaming, mostly Photoshop, video editing and typical university work.

I've seen this deal which seems perfect, except its refurbished, and I'm not too crazy about the colour. :D
The i7 Asus for $430.
asus-15-6-refurbished-laptop-2-3ghz-i7- ... s-1360045/

There are also these 2 laptops from staples, I could use the $75 off coupon and get one of them for $425, but I'm leaning away from an Acer or Hp.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Laptop-Compute ... 99_1_20001

Lastly, I might be able to ship a laptop to the states as my aunt lives there, if I can find enough of a savings. (Would there be a problem with warrany with that though, buying a laptop from the US?)
I know most laptops in the $400-600 price range are low-res and usually plastic, but if I could find something better that would be awesome!
I appreciate any input and suggestions, thank you!
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
245 upvotes
Those are good laptops but for university, I would recommend you get a 13-14" ultrabook even if it's i5. I use photoshop on a laptop from 2009 without dedicated graphics and ti works fine. But I wish I had gotten a lighter/small one with better battery life since that's much better for university where you have to lug it around in your bag.
Jan 28, 2010
353 posts
163 upvotes
GTA
akshouse20 wrote: Hi,

I am looking to spend $400-500 on a laptop for university. I would like to get something reliable with good build quality that can lost a while.
I am looking to possibly get a 3rd gen i5 (or 3rd i7 if you guys think the prices will drop enough with the 4th gen coming out) and 6gb+ ram. I'm not too worried about dedicated graphics
because I don't expect to do much gaming, mostly Photoshop, video editing and typical university work.

I've seen this deal which seems perfect, except its refurbished, and I'm not too crazy about the colour. :D
The i7 Asus for $430.
asus-15-6-refurbished-laptop-2-3ghz-i7- ... s-1360045/

There are also these 2 laptops from staples, I could use the $75 off coupon and get one of them for $425, but I'm leaning away from an Acer or Hp.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Laptop-Compute ... 99_1_20001

Lastly, I might be able to ship a laptop to the states as my aunt lives there, if I can find enough of a savings. (Would there be a problem with warrany with that though, buying a laptop from the US?)
I know most laptops in the $400-600 price range are low-res and usually plastic, but if I could find something better that would be awesome!
I appreciate any input and suggestions, thank you!
If you didn't mind waiting, Futureshop/Bestbuy usually has pretty decent sales during their back-to-school sale. I'm not sure when the sale starts (maybe late August, or early September?). But at the same time sales will start for other stores, so if you can, I'd say wait until then, cause prices can drop alot.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
Nettles wrote: Those are good laptops but for university, I would recommend you get a 13-14" ultrabook even if it's i5. I use photoshop on a laptop from 2009 without dedicated graphics and ti works fine. But I wish I had gotten a lighter/small one with better battery life since that's much better for university where you have to lug it around in your bag.
I was thinking about that and you might be right. The only other thing was I would like to watch Blu-ray/HD movies and maybe some gaming in the future. What I mean to say is, would I have to sacrifice performance to get an ultra book, because I'd like to get the best performance I can as well.

Thanks for the reply.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
pm2gonzales wrote: If you didn't mind waiting, Futureshop/Bestbuy usually has pretty decent sales during their back-to-school sale. I'm not sure when the sale starts (maybe late August, or early September?). But at the same time sales will start for other stores, so if you can, I'd say wait until then, cause prices can drop alot.
Yeah I know the best deals are usually around back to school sales but I was wondering if there might be any good deals coming up with the new 4th gen i series, but I could wait.