• May 11th, 2015 6:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2015
18 posts
Mississauga, ON

Looking for laptop in $500-600 range for my mom

Unfortunately when it comes to laptops, I don't know too much and my mom knows even less. I've been searching hard for the past week so I've learned a few things, but thought I'd ask for advice here.

She's a school teacher so she'll mainly need it for writing report cards, and other than that simply browsing. But I want to get something durable for her that will last, and maybe even a touch screen (feel like she'd enjoy that).

I've looked over bestbuy, staples as they seem like the major stores to carry laptops around Mississauga.

If you guys can weigh in, that'd be great.

Thanks!
8 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
$500-$$600 is a lot of money for a laptop these days. With what your mom will be using it for it is an overkill even with laptops costing at the $300-$350 mark.
Just look at these devices as disposable work tools, once the battery goes in 3-5 years just chuck it out and buy a new one which at that time will have the newest OS and CPU.
Just get one at the lowest price you can find is my best advice, it doesn't matter what brand or how fast the CPU not to get too technical as entry level CPUs are already an overkill for 95% of the population.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5974 posts
1622 upvotes
Milton
my mom got an refurb ipad air few months ago and hasnt touched her pc since then..
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14724 posts
4852 upvotes
Montreal
1) find out the size of the laptop she would like, as there is a big difference between an 11-13" and a 14-15", especially with the whacked-out wide-wide-widescreen displays they use now.
2) same thing with weight. if she needs it to be portable, stay around 3-4lbs.
3) determine the type of keyboard needed - this is a big one, as I despise bilingual keyboards so if you need an english one, be sure to buy at an online store like microsoft or confirm the model you are looking at has an english kb. the cheaper the laptop, the more like staples/bb/walmart only has it in bilingual.
4) screen size/resolution - is low resolution 1366x768 15" fine or does she want something better?
5) buy intel, stay far away from amd. trust me.
6) count on 4gb minimum memory and a dual core 13/i5 or quad core pentium

check this link out to see what sizes and types you can get for your money:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... D.64517600
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
spena wrote: my mom got an refurb ipad air few months ago and hasnt touched her pc since then..
iPad would be absolutely terrible for this application. For starters I know a friend who works as a teacher under TDSB, none of the internal websites run properly on his iPad.

OP might want to elaborate a bit more. Does she need to carry it around, back and forth to and from school? Does she prefer a bigger screen if not carrying it? Doesn't sound like power is a huge concern, so either something with a 15" screen and an i3/i5 if it's a desktop replacement, or the newer 13.3" Ultrabooks with Core M would fit the bill.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24577 posts
34210 upvotes
Toronto
how much of her work is done online? For many parents, Chromebooks are often a great solution. they are virus resistant. boot up quickly with long battery life.

and, for us the kids, we don't have to worry about providing all the tech support after purchase :)
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
sprung wrote: how much of her work is done online? For many parents, Chromebooks are often a great solution. they are virus resistant. boot up quickly with long battery life.

and, for us the kids, we don't have to worry about providing all the tech support after purchase :)
Read my earlier point about the intranet sites... Not surprised if some sites required Internet Explorer. School board computer tech isn't exactly cutting edge.
Feb 5, 2007
823 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga
Just buy any pc online for 400-500 range. Any store really. I personally prefer asus msi or lenovo
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
Don't buy from Best Buy, Staples etc. They come with loads of bloatware which make the laptop slower than it should be.

Buy from Microsoft Store, their laptops have no bloatware, plus they have a 30 day return policy. Also, since your mom is a teacher, she would get 10% education discount.
In your price range, you can look at these laptops:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .305582500

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .313368600

Both have Full HD 1080p IPS touch screens. Anything cheaper would have 720P TN screens, which are mostly bad.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)