None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8749 posts
5685 upvotes
Kootenays

Looking for a laptop with a BD drive.

My son is looking for a laptop with a Blu-ray drive. Budget is around $8-900. Any recommendations?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
You can swap out a DVD drive for a Blu Ray drive quite easily.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2385 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: You can swap out a DVD drive for a Blu Ray drive quite easily.
But I always thought that bluray drives for laptops don't have a standard shape. That is, if you buy a drive you have no idea if it will fit into the bay of your laptop. Is there a way to tell if it will fit in your laptop? I've always wondered this but never actually took the time to Google it because I never needed to.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: But I always thought that bluray drives for laptops don't have a standard shape. That is, if you buy a drive you have no idea if it will fit into the bay of your laptop. Is there a way to tell if it will fit in your laptop? I've always wondered this but never actually took the time to Google it because I never needed to.
http://www.newegg.ca/Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-598
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
So what are your other laptop criteria? Typically Dell Refurbished and Refurb.io offer great deals so long as you're ok with something used/refurbished.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8749 posts
5685 upvotes
Kootenays
He's totally non committed to size/specs, just so long as it will surf and play blu-rays at native resolution. I bought a Dell refurb Lattitude E6420 last summer that's been great for me and I suggested doing the same and swapping out the drive, but it's only 1600x900 resolution and that's the best they come in.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
buy a decent laptop, and buy a laptop blu ray drive separately.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21785 posts
3051 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a refurb lenovo T series laptop...they have a blueray drive that swaps into the existing dvdrw drive.

I would suggest a T430s...they are slimmer, can be purchased cheaply and resolution is 1600 x 900..

Mind you...the BD drive will cost about half the cost of the laptop!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28919 posts
9422 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: huh. every time I pulled out a dvd drive from a laptop I swear they had a different shape to them.
You're probably thinking that because it still has the faceplate/bezel still on it. Those are all customised to the laptop's shape and can usually be removed and swapped with the generic flat tray bezel on aftermarket drives. On slot loading drives, usually there's a slot bezel in the laptop so replacing is as easy as removing the slot bezel (or buying a slot drive w/o bezel) and simply replacing the drive.

However, a couple things to be aware of:

1. There are two types of slim laptop drives these days: traditional slim, at 12.5mm, and super-slim at 9mm. Be sure to get the right one.

2. If you go the "replace-the-drive" route, keep in mind you likely won't have software to play BD movies, whereas a laptop that came with the drive would have that. Commercial software to play BDs is fairly overpriced--$85 for PDVD (would be cheaper but 16 just came out not long ago) or $55 for WinDVD Pro. Unless of course you're willing to get the software via "other" means.