• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 6:40 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2002
39 posts
13 upvotes
Cambridge

Looking for Lease/Rental Agreement - House

Hi All, once everything settles down in the world...hopefully. I will be renting out my house this fall, I am looking for rental/lease agreements that I could use. Where are people getting them?

TIA
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1472 posts
502 upvotes
If you're leasing in Ontario, the province requires you use the Residential Tenancy Agreement form. With that said, the OREA Form 400 is also still widely used because it is a little more comprehensive and allows you to cover more things than the provincial form.

EDIT: CNeufeld made a good point that OREA forms are OREA's IP and should not be used by general public, so stick to the form above unless you're working with agent.
Last edited by Clueless Fox on Mar 24th, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11511 posts
7799 upvotes
Edmonton
Clueless Fox wrote: If you're leasing in Ontario, the province requires you use the Residential Tenancy Agreement form. With that said, the OREA Form 400 is also still widely used because it is a little more comprehensive and allows you to cover more things than the provincial form. You should be able to find fillable ones online. I use both together to cover all bases.
Perhaps, since you're a realtor, you can address this. I thought the OREA form was the intellectual property of OREA, and could only be used by realtors. Not the general public.

And OP, before you start working on the forms to use for your tenants, make sure you educate yourself on what your rights and responsibilities are. Especially on the "how do I get this bum to move out of my property" questions that come up regularly.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1472 posts
502 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Perhaps, since you're a realtor, you can address this. I thought the OREA form was the intellectual property of OREA, and could only be used by realtors. Not the general public.

And OP, before you start working on the forms to use for your tenants, make sure you educate yourself on what your rights and responsibilities are. Especially on the "how do I get this bum to move out of my property" questions that come up regularly.

C
You're right, actually. Thanks for pointing that out. So, OP should use the Standard ON Residential Tenancy Agreement, but you can add more (legal) clauses to that as needed. Here's the quote from their site:
OREA Standard Forms: Terms of Use

The Ontario Real Estate Association (“OREA”) owns certain standardized forms that are commonly used in Ontario real estate transactions (“OREA Standard Forms”) and a set of standard clauses (“Clauses”) for use with these forms. These OREA Standard Forms and Clauses are for use by OREA members and certain licensees only. Any other use or reproduction is prohibited except with the prior written consent of OREA. Please note that every real estate transaction is unique and that OREA does not warrant and is not responsible in any way for the adequacy, sufficiency, applicability or suitability of any of the OREA Standard Forms and Clauses. OREA members are urged to seek independent legal advice on specific issues affecting them. OREA bears no liability for the use of these OREA Standard Forms and Clauses.
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty