• May 8th, 2021 10:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1145 posts
601 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Looking for LED strips that don't need remote to turn on/off

I have a receptacle hooked up to light switch and I want to plug some LED strips into it for under the bar. It has a few halogen puck lights in there installed years ago, but I feel like it's time to switch them out for some LED strips. Having ordered a few LED light strips from Amazon before, they all seem to come with a driver that has IR so a remote can change it's colour and turn it on/off. I can't find LED strip that just plugs into the wall and doesn't need the included remote for power on / off. Having colour choice is great, I can change colours once in a while, but I want to be able to control the on / off using my light switch instead.

Any pointers? I honestly didn't think finding led strips that didn't need remote on and off would be so hard to find..
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1837 posts
671 upvotes
Elgin, ON
patrickkc wrote: I have a receptacle hooked up to light switch and I want to plug some LED strips into it for under the bar. It has a few halogen puck lights in there installed years ago, but I feel like it's time to switch them out for some LED strips. Having ordered a few LED light strips from Amazon before, they all seem to come with a driver that has IR so a remote can change it's colour and turn it on/off. I can't find LED strip that just plugs into the wall and doesn't need the included remote for power on / off. Having colour choice is great, I can change colours once in a while, but I want to be able to control the on / off using my light switch instead.

Any pointers? I honestly didn't think finding led strips that didn't need remote on and off would be so hard to find..
I bought some LED puck lights for under cabinet lighting from Amazon. Using the included remote and receiver was optional. For simple on/off functionality, the switched outlet works fine.
Dec 25, 2006
618 posts
538 upvotes
Winnipeg
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4026 posts
1060 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Geeni makes wi-fi LED light strips, sold a Canadian Tire, WalMart, I think Amazon maybe Home Depot, etc.
Mar 11, 2002
874 posts
298 upvotes
Lee valley has led strips that connect via a transformer to a standard switch. I have some that I bought but haven’t installed yet. Have tested and they seem to work ok
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1145 posts
601 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rkjredflag wrote: I bought some LED puck lights for under cabinet lighting from Amazon. Using the included remote and receiver was optional. For simple on/off functionality, the switched outlet works fine.
I've got LED pucks in my kitchen, but I'm looking at LED strips for the bar because I want to add it to a few more places instead of just the original halogen puck areas.
I got these in the laundry room. There is motion sensor underneath the light and you need to pass your hand beneath it for on / off.
fergy wrote: Geeni makes wi-fi LED light strips, sold a Canadian Tire, WalMart, I think Amazon maybe Home Depot, etc.
I think these are the closest ones that will auto come on when there is power. let me do some research into these
clboy wrote: Lee valley has led strips that connect via a transformer to a standard switch. I have some that I bought but haven’t installed yet. Have tested and they seem to work ok
Never shopped at Lee Valley before, but just started looking on there now. A bit more expensive compared to the amazon ones, but these comes with the transformer as well. Got to hook up around 4 strips together so my 1 light switch can turn all 4 on / off.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
@patrickkc .... I have some under my kitchen cabinets.... It's a tape style. Wired directly to a switch. Let me see if I can get any product info for you. A supplier gave them to me when I was at a previous employer.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10622 posts
5923 upvotes
Paris
All the Amazon ones I have had for years now can easily be direct wired to not use the remote.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2535 posts
1510 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I have this wireless switch from Lee Valley. It controls my under cabinet lights in the kitchen. I ran the wires and driver the the outlet behind the fridge, then I installed the wireless light switch on the wall over the counter. It just sticks to the wall.
Hit the switch and the led strip lights turn on
Feb 9, 2008
338 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The single colour ones with a rocker switch should work if you just leave it on.
The Ikea LED spotlight puck ones have a rocker switch, but not sure about their LEDBERG strip lights.