Careers

Looking to move to UK - tips on finding a job (recruitment agencies maybe?)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 10:59 am
[OP]
Sep 19, 2013
850 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto

Looking to move to UK - tips on finding a job (recruitment agencies maybe?)

Hi all, I'm a 23 year old male that's considering moving from here in Toronto to the UK for a change of scenery. This is something I've been thinking about for the last few years and so I figured if I'm going to experience something different then this is the time to do it since I'm still relatively young and not tied down yet. I will be going there with a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa which is good for two years. I have a Bachelor of Commerce degree, 1 year of experience in retail sales and 2 years experience in an office role at a major bank in Toronto and will have about $15,000 CAD for the move. I am fully aware of the extortionate cost of rent in and around London, and while London is where I'd prefer to land, I would not be opposed to going to a smaller city such as Birmingham.

I have tried applying to a few jobs in UK, but because I'm not currently living there yet they either throw my application straight into the trash and I never hear back from them, or they shoot me down real quick (unsurprisingly). So it looks like I will have to move to the UK first before looking for a job. So my problem is that if I can't find a job after moving there, then my $15K won't last very long. Currently I have no connections to the UK (I know....I'm working on it) so finding a job through a friend/relative referral isn't on the table at this point in time. I would also imagine that potential employers would write me off based on my visa since I can only stay in the UK for two years, which effectively rules out a full-time permanent job. What about contract jobs - how would I stack up against other applicants? Would going through a recruitment agency be worthwhile? I know the pay would be lower going through this route, but if it means a greater chance of me landing a job then that's something I would be okay with.

Anyone here have any insight or maybe some personal experience? Much appreciated.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
You should be posting this to a UK forum or subreddit. You won't get much experience in this Canada forum that are not super situational and niche.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6315 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
Based on a friend's experience from a few years ago, if you aren't there to interview, you will not get a job. You basically have to commit, move and look for work.

Personally, I don't think only having a 2 year visa will be a huge issue (although I'm really not familiar with the UK Visa program) but before moving, I'd certainly seriously look at what you have to offer and your likely hood of finding a job there. Your creds seem decent but they don't seem particularly spectacular either (B. Comms are probably very common and your experience is nothing special) - what's the job prospects for someone like you in the UK?
[OP]
Sep 19, 2013
850 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: Based on a friend's experience from a few years ago, if you aren't there to interview, you will not get a job. You basically have to commit, move and look for work.

Personally, I don't think only having a 2 year visa will be a huge issue (although I'm really not familiar with the UK Visa program) but before moving, I'd certainly seriously look at what you have to offer and your likely hood of finding a job there. Your creds seem decent but they don't seem particularly spectacular either (B. Comms are probably very common and your experience is nothing special) - what's the job prospects for someone like you in the UK?
Yeah I get what you mean, I don't have any special credentials, just your run of the mill degree and no other certifications so I don't stand out at all amongst the pool of applicants. From what I've read, recruitment agencies are my best bet to finding work and I guess I will have to take the risk and move there first before finding something.