Real Estate

Looking for neighbourhood suggestions to buy a freehold in GTA for 800-900k budget

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 2:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2021
15 posts
5 upvotes

Looking for neighbourhood suggestions to buy a freehold in GTA for 800-900k budget

We're looking to buy a freehold house in next few months. Our main priorities are having good connectivity to downtown (Go train preferably, since both of us work downtown) and good school district. We are not looking for anything in Toronto (because it's pretty much out of budget) but the suburbs like Durham, Halton area etc.

Any suggestions welcome.
17 replies
Jun 28, 2009
322 posts
135 upvotes
800k-900k might be hard overall even for a townhome.

Areas like Newmarket and Stouffville probably have freehold townhomes on the “lower” end from 900k-1m

Not sure if anyone can speak for durham but don’t think the schools would be as good as I’m York region.
Jan 19, 2009
301 posts
220 upvotes
You can get a free hold in Eglinton West for that price range. LRT is due to finish soon (famous last words). I am not familiar with schools in that area.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1593 posts
962 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
You can get a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom townhouse in Milton for that price range.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2021
15 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions . I was wondering if anyone has to say about getting a freehold in Durham area .
Jul 14, 2009
245 posts
92 upvotes
Check out Bradford. Someone in the other thread suggested that area and we passed by. There's Go train and the area is really nice with all amenities. Wondering why it's as cheap as it is but I guess it won't be for much longer.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Simplejs wrote: Thanks for the suggestions . I was wondering if anyone has to say about getting a freehold in Durham area .
You can get townhouses for high 700s low 800s in Oshawa
Jan 27, 2018
534 posts
522 upvotes
Oshawa is your best bet... Clock is ticking away for Oshawa as well... At this rate by year end Oshawa semi and towns will be clocking in at close to a million.
Jul 2, 2018
309 posts
299 upvotes
Perhaps something in Oshawa or maybe a newer townhome slightly more west.
Realtor + Investor
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
I've seen some smaller interior unit freehold townhomes sell for under a million in places like Markham and Richmond Hill if that's of any interest to you.

Sounds to me like you just need to hire an agent, give them your criteria, and let them do some work for you. Alternatively, starting doing your own research on realtor.ca and/or housesigma.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47766 posts
8476 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The_Professor wrote: I've seen some smaller interior unit freehold townhomes sell for under a million in places like Markham and Richmond Hill if that's of any interest to you.

Sounds to me like you just need to hire an agent, give them your criteria, and let them do some work for you. Alternatively, starting doing your own research on realtor.ca and/or housesigma.
Yes, those do exist, but not only are they smaller (<1500sqft) but also older as well (15+ years old). Still worth it if being closer to the city is important.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10403 posts
10748 upvotes
Toronto
If your budget is 800-900k, I would suggest you get into the market as soon as you can. You're going to be priced out faster than you anticipate.

Expect a run down place in a not so great area for this kind of a budget. If you are looking at Durham, you're thinking Oshawa. More realistically though, you're looking at Clarington.

Conversely, 800-900k will get you an OK townhouse somewhere much better or a decent-good condo in Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7753 posts
5718 upvotes
Toronto
Look into North Whitby.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4139 posts
2870 upvotes
Toronto
Most of Durham(Pickering, Ajax, Whitby) will still have some freehold townhomes going for 800-900k(Need to be quick though or it's gone in a day or 2).

There are also smaller a bit older detach(1100-1300 sq ft) houses going around your budget especially around 401/south of 401(though schools are not as good usually).
Apr 6, 2019
219 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
Simplejs wrote: We're looking to buy a freehold house in next few months. Our main priorities are having good connectivity to downtown (Go train preferably, since both of us work downtown) and good school district. We are not looking for anything in Toronto (because it's pretty much out of budget) but the suburbs like Durham, Halton area etc.

Any suggestions welcome.
I would suggest you install and use house sigma app. Lot of options in Durham in this range.
For the criteria you have mentioned , look into Whitby north area, around Taunton. A+ area with good schools .
Jan 13, 2008
205 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
OP, please be aware if you are considering a move to Durham with a downtown commute, there will be no Express Go trains running until 2024. All trains will be all stops from Oshawa, though they will be running every 15 min. during rush hour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)