Looking for a new laptop, could use advice

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 8:41 am
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1338 posts
282 upvotes

Looking for a new laptop, could use advice

I primarily use my MacBook pro ( it's approx 10 years old) for web design and coding. I was wondering if there's any solid alternatives to Apple. They're new MacBooks are so expensive!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
shadowslaya wrote: I primarily use my MacBook pro ( it's approx 10 years old) for web design and coding. I was wondering if there's any solid alternatives to Apple. They're new MacBooks are so expensive!
friend who does web design and consult is looking to upgrade to a 15 " Del xps 15 either this one or newest one coming out this year... always hits best laptop at 15 ' you can buy on lists

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/dell- ... verviewtab

buy it on sale from Microsoft now with a 30 day money back ...outstanding
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
There are alternatives but they're all Windows-based. And if you want similar light/thin/powerful design then you'll spend big bux. Have a look for example at Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. The latest version, generation 7, just came out, however, previous 6th and even 5th gens are still available from Lenovo.

Since your MBP is 10 years old perhaps you don't need the latest and greatest. Have you considered a refurbished MBP? (e.g. Apple MacBook Air 13" A1466 (0UXY) 2017 model for $1,140 with 15 months warranty.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
I have the HP Spectre X360 15" and like it but I really want to go with a smaller form factor as I find it slightly too big. The Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon is one that has really caught my eye. I like the 14" form factor with almost a bezel-less display. Anyone familiar with the X1 Carbon? Any comments or feedback on it would be great.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1338 posts
282 upvotes
bylo wrote: There are alternatives but they're all Windows-based. And if you want similar light/thin/powerful design then you'll spend big bux. Have a look for example at Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. The latest version, generation 7, just came out, however, previous 6th and even 5th gens are still available from Lenovo.

Since your MBP is 10 years old perhaps you don't need the latest and greatest. Have you considered a refurbished MBP? (e.g. Apple MacBook Air 13" A1466 (0UXY) 2017 model for $1,140 with 15 months warranty.)
The Air though, running Adobe software, would perform as well?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JagStyles wrote: I have the HP Spectre X360 15" and like it but I really want to go with a smaller form factor as I find it slightly too big. The Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon is one that has really caught my eye. I like the 14" form factor with almost a bezel-less display. Anyone familiar with the X1 Carbon? Any comments or feedback on it would be great.
I've had the X1C6 for about a year and half. I've owned maybe a dozen ThinkPads over the past 20 years. The X1C6 is by far the best one. [By way of comparison, the X1C2 was probably the worst ThinkPad I've owned due to its buttonless TrackPoint/TrackPad and adaptive display...]

I use the X1C6 daily at home office and frequently when travelling. Great battery life. Great display. Great performance for the size. Would buy one again in a heartbeat if it became necessary.

What else would you like to know?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
shadowslaya wrote: The Air though, running Adobe software, would perform as well?
I would assume that almost any mid-level notebook computer made in the past 2 or 3 years would perform better than a 10 year old MBP.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
Upon further review, I like the X1 Yoga given it comes with a pen which I do use quite a bit for signing documents and the like. I think I've narrowed down my search to either the X1 Carbon or the X1 Yoga.
Oct 18, 2016
369 posts
204 upvotes
shadowslaya wrote: I primarily use my MacBook pro ( it's approx 10 years old) for web design and coding. I was wondering if there's any solid alternatives to Apple. They're new MacBooks are so expensive!
I'm just amazed that you are using a 10 year old laptop for coding. LOL.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: I've had the X1C6 for about a year and half. I've owned maybe a dozen ThinkPads over the past 20 years. The X1C6 is by far the best one. [By way of comparison, the X1C2 was probably the worst ThinkPad I've owned due to its buttonless TrackPoint/TrackPad and adaptive display...]

I use the X1C6 daily at home office and frequently when travelling. Great battery life. Great display. Great performance for the size. Would buy one again in a heartbeat if it became necessary.

What else would you like to know?
Do you know what the main differences are between the 6th Gen and latest 7th Gen that is about to be released for the X1 Carbon? I'm seriously considering this laptop as a replacement for my HP Spectre x360 15 Inch as I'm looking for a laptop with a smaller foot print.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JagStyles wrote: Do you know what the main differences are between the 6th Gen and latest 7th Gen that is about to be released for the X1 Carbon? I'm seriously considering this laptop as a replacement for my HP Spectre x360 15 Inch as I'm looking for a laptop with a smaller foot print.
I have no direct experience with the 7th gen so your best bet is probably via Google, e.g. Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga slim down with 8th-gen Core chips for 2019. From what I've read the size/weight aren't much different, nor is CPU. The main differences are better screen and speakers.

There likely won't be any significant performance improvements until Intel's Most Hotly Anticipated CPU Is Finally ComingHere (in 2020 or 2021?)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: I have no direct experience with the 7th gen so your best bet is probably via Google, e.g. Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga slim down with 8th-gen Core chips for 2019. From what I've read the size/weight aren't much different, nor is CPU. The main differences are better screen and speakers.

There likely won't be any significant performance improvements until Intel's Most Hotly Anticipated CPU Is Finally ComingHere (in 2020 or 2021?)
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. What display do you have on your laptop? I'm leaning towards the HD panel instead of 4k. I find there are still a lot of legacy apps that don't play nice with 4k displays. I also use an external 4K monitor. Do you know if there would be any issues using a 4k external monitor with a laptop that has 1080p HD panel? Worry about how the different resolutions will play with each other when connected.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JagStyles wrote: Thanks, appreciate the feedback. What display do you have on your laptop? I'm leaning towards the HD panel instead of 4k.
I have the HD screen. It's more than adequate for me when travelling. I have a 1920x1080 external monitor that I plan to upgrade to 2560x1440, probably a ThinkVision P24h next time it's on sale for under $250.
Do you know if there would be any issues using a 4k external monitor with a laptop that has 1080p HD panel? Worry about how the different resolutions will play with each other when connected.
None at all. It won't strain the system at all. Here are the 6th gen graphics specs:
Intel HD Graphics 620 or Intel UHD Graphics 620 in processor;
supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C;
supports three independent displays;
Max resolution: 5120x2880@60Hz (USB Type-C); 4096x2160@30Hz (HDMI)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: I have the HD screen. It's more than adequate for me when travelling. I have a 1920x1080 external monitor that I plan to upgrade to 2560x1440, probably a ThinkVision P24h next time it's on sale for under $250.

None at all. It won't strain the system at all. Here are the 6th gen graphics specs:
Do you find your laptop screen bright enough? I see it only goes to 300 nits where my current HP Spectre has 347 nits. I do use it outside often on my porch or in the backyard, curious how you find the screen in bright situations.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Look on the Apple Refurb store - you usually save 15-22% off retail price, and they usually come pretty much brand new....or actually brand new in non-retail packaging, depending on when you buy. They're definitely expensive still, but worth it in my books.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JagStyles wrote: Do you find your laptop screen bright enough?
Yes, but I use it mostly indoors or in the shade. The matte screen also helps in reducing glare.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
For the first time ever, I'm actually considering a Chromebook. There's only 1 app I still need that is windows based, most of the other things I use are web-based. I understand there's a new project called "Droplet" which will essentially allow you to natively run a windows app inside a container more seamlessly than what is currently available through Wine or Cross Over. Essentially, they will make it look like any other Chrome OS app on the laptop with an icon on the desktop and when you launch it, the Windows app opens in a new window as if it where a regular Chrome OS app. It's quite interesting.

I just find the entire Windows experience to be quite dated compared to where everything else is going these days.