Food & Drink

Looking for nice romantic restaurant (like David duncan house)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2006 11:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
461 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Looking for nice romantic restaurant (like David duncan house)

I wanna try a new restaurant for valentines day and I do love the setting at the David Duncan House. Does anyone have any suggestions of similiar restaurants? or just some of your favourite romantic restaurants :) thanks!
18 replies
Jan 25, 2005
588 posts
41 upvotes
If you're looking for something similar to David Duncan house there's The School on 14th west of Kennedy.
I always got there surf and turf platter for two, can't remember what it's called but you get alaskan crab legs, giant shrimps (which looks like baby lobsters), filet mignon and scallops. Amazing food and very nice ambience.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
461 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks, it sounds pretty good! any other suggestions as well?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4726 posts
103 upvotes
Oakville
Valentine's bookings are going fast! Better reserve now, wherever you go!
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
19 upvotes
Other places to maybe go:

Terra up Yonge and uh..7? is good too, (same owners as Auberge), but the atmosphere is less romantic than the others I mentioned. Susur is great too, but I find it modern, with yummy food. Thuett is ok, food is hmn.. ok, wasn't especially impressed.

If you really want to go all out, drive out to Eigensenn.

all info in my food thread. Updating it with Terra right now, in fact.

Also: Canoe and North 44 are always staples. I'd choose N44 over Canoe though. I've generally had more memorable experiences there.
foodpr0n.com 11/02/15: Comforting Campagnolo // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
461 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Canoe and North44 i've tried, and both were very enjoyable experiences, however i do love the old world charm decor more so than the modern simple look. Auberge was great as well but I wanna try somewhere new.
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
19 upvotes
mebbe go for George then - it's not ultra modern, but that classic look. Not as charming as Auberge until you hit the patio, but obviously, you can't right now :)
foodpr0n.com 11/02/15: Comforting Campagnolo // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
461 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
oh and I was also wondering about the octagon? anyone have any experiences there?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3608 posts
750 upvotes
What about Rain on Mercer Street near King/John. It's in the "Made to Order" TV show on the food network. The food is amazing but a bit pricey, my friend took his girlfriend there and paid $250 for valentine's day and they didn't even drink but they did say the food was good. Anyone else try this place?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1433 posts
122 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
boonjaca wrote:What about Rain on Mercer Street near King/John. It's in the "Made to Order" TV show on the food network. The food is amazing but a bit pricey, my friend took his girlfriend there and paid $250 for valentine's day and they didn't even drink but they did say the food was good. Anyone else try this place?
I like Rain a lot. It's definitely a place to try if you like asian inspired food, and a contemporary atmosphere. If you go, make sure to have a martini and their desserts. I'd budget between $250 to $300 for a couple, for a full meal incl tax and tip.

I didn't see Splendido mentioned yet, but I think the food there is absolutely stunning. Unfortuanately, it costs more than Rain.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1433 posts
122 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
muffin wrote:Canoe and North44 i've tried, and both were very enjoyable experiences, however i do love the old world charm decor more so than the modern simple look. Auberge was great as well but I wanna try somewhere new.
The food at Canoe is solid, but I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic evening because the place is loud (polished concrete floors). The view, however, is nice.

Scaramouche is a great romantic spot because you get a great view of the city. The restaurant also frequently makes it into the top "x" in the city. The food there isn't "adventurous" which is a good or bad thing depending on your taste (I personally prefer a bit my restaurants to be a little more cutting edge).
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
19 upvotes
mmm.. scaramouche. I really need to go check it out sometime. also heard from fellow foodies that the food there isn't anything special.

Haven't been to Rain either, but I understand it's more trendy rather than romantic?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2651 posts
96 upvotes
JLunar wrote:mmm.. scaramouche. I really need to go check it out sometime. also heard from fellow foodies that the food there isn't anything special.

Haven't been to Rain either, but I understand it's more trendy rather than romantic?
Scaramouche is very very nice. Went there a few times and have enjoyed it. Of course it's not cheap but very warm restaurant. Though this year, i've decided to do something different...going to make my g/f dinner. i thought she may like it plus i can make a mean chicken cordon bleu. We've been to nice restaurants, and so i thought to truly show my appreciation for her i will make her dinner...my parents are going to be in Mexico so I'm alone on this one, so she'll know i did it on my own.