[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
65 posts
16 upvotes

Looking for OBGYN

Hi I'm looking for a good OBGYN, expecting delivery in November. I live in Markham and going to either MSH and NYG is about the same distance. Can anyone recommend a good OBGYN? Does NYG have better OB doctors, as it sounds like a lot of people go there, even when living in Markham
15 replies
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
May you explain what OBGYN, MSH and NYG, OB shorthands mean in your context?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Mar 28, 2011
780 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
cybercavalier wrote: May you explain what OBGYN, MSH and NYG, OB shorthands mean in your context?
Go ask a female :)

Markham Stouffville Hospital has a newer maternity ward and I really liked it there. The birthing rooms are modern and big, doctors and nurses are great too.

Parking is also free if you just park down the street for visitors but the pay lot isn’t that bad either.

North York General is older and while I did not have any experience there personally, the people I know that went there to give birth said it was alright.

There is the Markham Fertility Centre connected to MSH and you can go to the 5th floor and see if they accept walk in or ask your family doctor to refer you to an OBGYN there
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
65 posts
16 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: May you explain what OBGYN, MSH and NYG, OB shorthands mean in your context?
OBGYN are Gynecologists and Obstetricians
MSH is Markham Stouffville Hospital
NYG is North York General
Nov 6, 2017
7 posts
GTA
Dr Linda Stirk at NYGH is the best, she deliveries my daughter,compared to m first ob who deliveried my son, she is so experienced and patient .
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1998 posts
173 upvotes
Dr Alexandra Nevin Lam at NYGH is wonderful. She followed both my pregnancies and delivered both. First time she wasn’t even the on call OB but in the hospital doing her surgeries and happened to be out of surgery and she came to deliver on her own will. She’s so caring and good bedside manner. Wait times were also reasonable while at appts.
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
If you decide on MSH - I would recommend Dr. Chrystine Peters. She was my OB for both my kids.

MSH facilities is a lot newer compared to NYGH. If you live in Markham just stay at MSH - do you really want to go all the way down to NYGH during your pregnancy - you have check ups monthly, bi-weekly and then weekly.

I think before people from Markham going down to NYGH was cuz of that Asian doctor before.
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have a low risk pregnancy, I’d recommend looking into midwife. I found the experience much more personable and patient centric.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2160 posts
193 upvotes
Dr. Karthika Devarajan - located right Leslie and Sheppard beside NYGH. She's really nice and calm. If you do go to NYGH, the nurse who helped deliver my son (in June) her name is Hilary who was awesome and really sweet to my wife.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Aug 21, 2019
557 posts
358 upvotes
Markham
Wilmega wrote: Dr. Karthika Devarajan - located right Leslie and Sheppard beside NYGH. She's really nice and calm. If you do go to NYGH, the nurse who helped deliver my son (in June) her name is Hilary who was awesome and really sweet to my wife.
Thank you . Her review sounds promising.
But we were looking for some one close to Markham.
Any words on Dr. Christyne Peters ?
Aug 21, 2019
557 posts
358 upvotes
Markham
Tsanger wrote: If you have a low risk pregnancy, I’d recommend looking into midwife. I found the experience much more personable and patient centric.
Do you have option to change from midwife to GYN later ?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1219 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Dr. Mei-Dan at NYGH was amazing, but I saw him for a high risk pregnancy so I’m not sure if he takes just anyone. I’ve heard wonderful things about all of the OBGYNs there though, so you can’t go wrong either way. Many of them are extremely busy though so if you want to give birth there, you may have to go with whoever is available.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
65 posts
16 upvotes
Stallion86 wrote: Which one did you choose finally?
I went with Dr Christyne Peters, so far the visits have been good. Visits are alternating on-site and over the phone due to covid. When on-site, my spouse had to stay outside. I'm not at high risk pregnancy, so the visits and questions have been quite standard.
Aug 21, 2019
557 posts
358 upvotes
Markham
maxineli wrote: I went with Dr Christyne Peters, so far the visits have been good. Visits are alternating on-site and over the phone due to covid. When on-site, my spouse had to stay outside. I'm not at high risk pregnancy, so the visits and questions have been quite standard.
Thank you.
We are also looking to go with Dr Christyne.