Looking to pay a Home Inspector / Contractor to pick their brain

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 10:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 6, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote

Looking to pay a Home Inspector / Contractor to pick their brain

Context: We bought an old house months ago that had a sellers inspection and are having some issues that are outside of what they found and have since completed all the issues they did find.

In short I don't need a full written home inspection with that has legal implications on what they tell me, I just want to pay someone for their time to come through the house with me while I pick their brain and have them tell me what I should be worried and not worried about, my plan of action on certain issues, and just explain to me more how my old ass house works.

Is this something offered? Is there anyone here with credentials who'd come by the junction area who I would happily pay an hourly rate for?
Last edited by balke19 on Sep 7th, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Just get a home inspector, I don’t think anyone is going to come there for an hourly rate. Just talk to them and tell them you don’t need the full service and negotiate the rate. Anyone who charges an hourly rate would want a minimum amount anyways.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2023 posts
343 upvotes
East York, ON
Nothing stops you to pay a home inspector for the above
Just make sure it is a competent one.
You can ask for a list of checkpoints because he is not going to tell you ALL that is wrong with it
You might or might not be able to negotiate what is on that list but I don't think you will find one who will tell you ALL that is wrong
You probably stand a better chance with a general contractor who has seen it all and who you might commit to fix all the issues he is going to find or you chose to fix
He or she might be more interested to give a complete list as more issues mean more work but I also thing that if you ask for such an exhaustive inspection it will have to be agreed on in a doc or something

I live in a 60y old house and I am still finding things (as I am renovating it little by little) that I know for sure no inspector would have ever found it
We too went with the seller's agent and that was the only way to win a more than 10 offers bidding war.
The property more than doubled in price since then and when I bought I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life considering the problems I was discovering
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
balke19 wrote: Our sewer line backed up and has roots getting into it etc. We got a weird mold smell in the basement and I have now opened up the wall to find the brick foundation is wet amongst some of the issues that have come up.
Are these your main issues, or is there something else completely unrelated you are worried about? I would get contractors to come in to advise you on what is needed or what they recommend and pick their brain as they are providing you a quote.

Also, in regards to the sewer line, if the roots are in the line past your property line, you need to call in locates and do everything properly. If you just tell a plumber to have at it, they could hit a gas line. If you're in Ontario, one call will do this investigation for you for free. Then you could even discuss stuff with that contractor while they are at your house.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3524 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
There are no legal implications from a home inspection. They can't 'red flag' your home and force you to repair things.
Mar 14, 2018
486 posts
495 upvotes
I don't get it...

"I just want to pay someone for their time to come through the house with me while I pick their brain and have them tell me what I should be worried and not worried about, my plan of action on certain issues, and just explain to me more how my old ass house works."
- This is what home inspection entails. So just get the full inspection and think of the full written report you get as a bonus.

As for the sewage or foundation damage, I'd get the specialized contractors... especially for the foundation
Oct 2, 2018
936 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Call a home inspection company and tell them what you want, shouldn't be an issue to have someone provide that service seems pretty reasonable.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1088 posts
539 upvotes
Longueuil
You simply need a home inspection. There is no legal implication.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1751 posts
835 upvotes
GTA
I got my house inspected after we bought it and I just wanted to know what we had to deal with. Luckily we gutted the house and most of what the inspector noted was dealt with but knowing what the house needed was good in our reno planning
Mar 19, 2006
13 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I am a home inspector. https://westshoreinspections.com/

I don't typically cover your neck of the woods, but if you are still searching let me know and perhaps we speak further about your issues.

Thanks

Mike
I'm tired of paying full price
Jan 11, 2017
136 posts
66 upvotes
I understand your dilemma, home inspectors are not always the best source of information, they know what they are taught but have probably never actually done any of the work to understand it. Real estate agents probably run most of the good ones out of town for obvious reasons. There are good ones out there but I'm sure the bad ones are good salesmen so it might make it hard to tell. Cold call contractors/carpenters and ask what an hour of their time would be worth. I know post to pillar is a quality home inspection company but again checking boxes doesn't mean much. The problem is that if you want the house then you'll look past most anything no matter who tells you what.
Last edited by Rapsrawk on Sep 12th, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3524 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
OP has vanished. I was going to volunteer to swing by as I'm also in the Junction and while not a certified home inspector, I've owned my 100+ year old home for 20+ years and have done just about everything you can do to a house to it. It's my 2nd primary residence and I also have a cottage I've been working on for the last 8 years. Been through the ringer with contractors, good and bad.

But like so many RFD posts, it's a one and done sort of thing. I still think they pay people to create threads and move on just so a bunch of us come in and create more content to generate views, increase visit length and generally improve their analytics to improve their deals with their partners.