Home & Garden

Looking to purchase a dehumidifier - any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2015 4:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4241 posts
3941 upvotes
East GTA

Looking to purchase a dehumidifier - any recommendations?

I'm starting to notice our basement is getting very damp especialyl since we're not running our central air since the temperature has been mild in Toronto. Does anyone have any good dehumidifier recommendations? I've looked at Home Depot and Canadian Tire but the reviews for every product that has one are very low so I didn't know how accurate the representation was.

Thanks for the suggestions!

[EDIT]

I have purchased the following dehumidifier:

Frigidaire Electrolux CAD704DWL White 70 Pint Free Standing Electric Dehumidifier
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
579 upvotes
I bought the house brand one at Wal-Mart, which did the job. About $180. Looking back on it, I would have preferred to buy at Costco for the warranty, but I was in a bind and Walmart was open till 11.

If you're going to run it all the time I'd suggest going costco for the warranty alone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5894 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
Danby and Frigidaire are both rate#1 by Consumer reports. I personally have a 70 pint Frigidaire that I purchased from Lowes over 2 years ago and still working strong.

sk
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4241 posts
3941 upvotes
East GTA
sunnybono wrote: Danby and Frigidaire are both rate#1 by Consumer reports. I personally have a 70 pint Frigidaire that I purchased from Lowes over 2 years ago and still working strong.

sk
Thanks a lot, I'm thinking of getting the same one you bought because it's on sale currently! Is this what you have?

http://www.lowes.ca/dehumidifiers/frigi ... ductSlot=1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5894 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
Good unit and good price. I know I paid over $300 for my unit
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4241 posts
3941 upvotes
East GTA
sunnybono wrote: Good unit and good price. I know I paid over $300 for my unit
Thank you for the help, I just bought it for $270 with taxes ($10 off code when you sign up to their mailing list, not bad!).
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1100 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Got a danby from costco for $189. It sucks big time. I placed it in the basement and have my HVAC blower on 24/7. It helps to reduce humidity for the whole house from 60+ to ~50. I got full tank of water every 12hrs.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26982 posts
11428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Most dehumidifiers have a 1 year warranty, the Frigidaire has a 5 year warranty (on the sealed system) so that would have been my suggestion. Their A/C also is the only one in a big box store i found with a 5 year warranty. Unfortunately they are making durable goods to last just a few months beyond the warranty these days, very disappointing.

One other thing is oversizing the dehumidifier has an electricity consumption penalty, i had bought the same 70 pint as you and its efficiency was terrible (small house), i returned it and got a 30 pint and it works just as well and uses about half the electricity.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4241 posts
3941 upvotes
East GTA
Quentin5 wrote: Most dehumidifiers have a 1 year warranty, the Frigidaire has a 5 year warranty (on the sealed system) so that would have been my suggestion. Their A/C also is the only one in a big box store i found with a 5 year warranty. Unfortunately they are making durable goods to last just a few months beyond the warranty these days, very disappointing.

One other thing is oversizing the dehumidifier has an electricity consumption penalty, i had bought the same 70 pint as you and its efficiency was terrible (small house), i returned it and got a 30 pint and it works just as well and uses about half the electricity.
I'm thinking of getting a heavy-load appliance timer to have this only run at night, but I don't know if it has an auto-start after it gets shut off. How big of an area is the 30 pint covering?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26982 posts
11428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
redkulat wrote: I'm thinking of getting a heavy-load appliance timer to have this only run at night, but I don't know if it has an auto-start after it gets shut off. How big of an area is the 30 pint covering?
this thread is in depth
frigidaire-cad704dwl-70-pint-dehumidifi ... f-1746889/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
Quentin5 wrote: Most dehumidifiers have a 1 year warranty, the Frigidaire has a 5 year warranty (on the sealed system) so that would have been my suggestion. Their A/C also is the only one in a big box store i found with a 5 year warranty. Unfortunately they are making durable goods to last just a few months beyond the warranty these days, very disappointing.

After reading about it, we too went for the 30pint. Its been working great. Also has a timer so you can set an on/off time which I would think most have.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26982 posts
11428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Keelie wrote: After reading about it, we too went for the 30pint. Its been working great. Also has a timer so you can set an on/off time which I would think most have.
I read about how to use the timer but found the instructions confusing so i have not tried it yet, let us know how it works out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
Quentin5 wrote: I read about how to use the timer but found the instructions confusing so i have not tried it yet, let us know how it works out.
lol we havent tried it yet either! Have just been turning it on and letting it go until full, then it shuts off itself.. repeat next day. Its been going for about 8 hours until shut off.
My husband wants to put a hose in so we dont have to empty it.. I think it will be running as is for quite some time ;)
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1435 posts
233 upvotes
Stupid question but do you use this just in the home or for specialty areas eg. Basement

Also I see the 30L is also on sale - what type of room would this work with? If I have an open plan type of split flooring, would the larger 70L unit be able to dehumidify across floors?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26982 posts
11428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Carebra wrote: Stupid question but do you use this just in the home or for specialty areas eg. Basement

Also I see the 30L is also on sale - what type of room would this work with? If I have an open plan type of split flooring, would the larger 70L unit be able to dehumidify across floors?
My link in post 12 of this thread has sizing numbers which are rather accurate i have found from experience
Theoretically yes it could do multiple floors, but like having a window A/C in one room it may have enough btu for the whole house (if you bought the biggest ones) but it won't distribute the conditioned air on its own, you would end up with one very, very cold room and the rest of the house not very cool. You would need an air distribution system (hence your heating ductwork is needed to distribute the heat from your furnace).
Carebra wrote: Sizing question answered: http://www.sylvane.com/choosing-the-rig ... ifier.html

What do you guys use it for, and would it use across floors?
Their numbers are laughable, i have a very high load but small sized basement and they say i need 70 pint which was wasting a lot of electricity, i returned it and got 30 and its using half the electricity and producing the same amount of water. Go with the EPA (energy star) chart for better accuracy and better energy efficiency.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26982 posts
11428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
redkulat wrote: Thanks Quentin, I stuck with the 70 pint but I'm running it on a heavy-duty appliance timer that will run only at non-peak hours. I tested it out and it seems to turn on automatically after the timer turns on/off.
good idea, i also have one of those timers for my block heater, my humidity rises 20% in a couple hours so a timer for off peak won't work for me right now :(
When i reduce that problem i'll be timing it for off peak