Looking for recommendations for a camera for a beginner

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2021 3:54 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes

Looking for recommendations for a camera for a beginner

My son is studying photography at school (he is almost 14) and is showing a lot of enthusiasm for it. Can anyone recommend a good starter camera that I can buy for him for Christmas. The budget is around $300, but that’s a very rough estimate. There is a Canon Powershot Sx420 on Amazon for around $350 but I have no idea if that is a good price/camera. Thanks
7 replies
Jan 18, 2008
634 posts
59 upvotes
Honestly buy a second hand DSLR if he is studying photography. He will not have much control over the outcome with a point and shoot. Just my two cents.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1689 posts
96 upvotes
carolina girl wrote: Honestly buy a second hand DSLR if he is studying photography. He will not have much control over the outcome with a point and shoot. Just my two cents.
Agreed - you can easily get a Canon Rebel with a kit lens in that price range on Kijiji. OP if you stretch your price range to $500 and wait for a deal you can get one new.
Aug 27, 2015
106 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I am a starter too. As my research, let's ask him if he wants to focus on portrait or landscape, then you can find some great lens that fit he needs on Facebook market or eBay.
The lens is more expensive than the DSLR. Don't go with the orginal kit because they don't help anything at all.
I am using Olympus E460 which is cheap, light weight and good enough to learn.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions. Lots to think about.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1632 posts
239 upvotes
keh.com
the ratings are accurate.

I'ld let the teacher recommend the style of camera as that will lend itself to the class lessons. If my kid was really enjoying the class then I'ld let his curiosity drive what to get next. The thing about photography is that you can create some really stunning images with a cheapy phone and some photoshop which I suspect what the class is all about.
Nov 5, 2018
8 posts
13 upvotes
Do you know or can you find out what kind / model camera they are using in his course, then let us know? I agree with the posters above that if they are using interchangeable lens cameras, a point-and-shoot camera might not interest him much.
Jul 12, 2010
477 posts
80 upvotes
At that budget its going to be very limiting for anything new for anything that has interchangable lens. I'd suggest get something canon lots of used inventory for cheap from T3 - T6 or T3i - T6i if u got the budget to push tend to be a tad better and more auto focus points and better ergo/buttons . probably comes with standard 18-55mm kit lens ... if you can score a combo with 18-135mm stm lens try and grab if you can get the budget for it... its like a 300 dollar value lens but some sellings don't care and just want to get rid of combo.

Another reason to start with canon is there is alot different used cheap lens options from canon. 50mm 1.8 / 35mm / 28 mm / 85mm/ 75-300mm ranging from 60 bucks to like 200. not amazing for low light photography but it will do fine in decently lit scenarios.
Once you figure out what type of photography he likes doing then pick what focal length/lens he will want next.

If he wants to do video mainly I would suggest just using whatever cellphone he has - at this low budget the older stuff auto focus isnt amazing and tends to be 1080p at best. Even better if he has a phone 2 cameras lens - a wide angle on phone does wonders at times.

Just make sure he doesn't mind lugging a big DSLR everywhere and changing lens inbetween to get variety in his craft. Else maybe just stick with phone photography for the easy / convenient way of photography.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)