• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2022 10:10 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
252 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary

Looking for recommendations - cheap import phone e.g Xiaomi

Its been a few years, but in the past I have bought Xiaomi Redmi Note phones and looking for any recent recommendations or thoughts.

I appreciate decently fast processor. I am tough on phones, so some durability would be nice (but I know I can't have it all).

I also like handsfree - and my experience is that the speakerphones on Xiaomi phones are pretty poor, but that was a few years ago.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome
Calgary, AB
13 replies
Sep 26, 2013
549 posts
1086 upvotes
the new K50 PRO is burning hot in China right now. Everyone over there is ranking it over the S22. So ya, a great buy. but i didn't check if it is supporting the network in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1704 posts
130 upvotes
York Region
Would love another xiomi phone! Amazing battery life!

Im trying to find a legit seller on Aliexpress to buy from.
I already returned pixel 6 and Samsung s20 fe - horrible battery in p6 and couldn't even transfer half of my staff on samsung - smart switch app issue!
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13401 posts
4752 upvotes
Problem with xiaomi phones is that they often don't work with Canadian bands.

There are the odd ones that support all but not often.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1137 posts
1427 upvotes
Westmount, QC
The Poco X4 Pro came out recently. If you don't care about the camera, you can find a 8gb/256gb version around $425 on Aliexpress and 435$ (better option) on mi4canada.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
252 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
How do you find their OS , compared to Xiaomi (if you have used them?)
Calgary, AB
Mar 24, 2021
135 posts
123 upvotes
Regina, SK
cap6pac wrote: How do you find their OS , compared to Xiaomi (if you have used them?)
Its the same.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1137 posts
1427 upvotes
Westmount, QC
cap6pac wrote: How do you find their OS , compared to Xiaomi (if you have used them?)
I've never used a Poco, but they use the same UI, MIUI. I have a Mi 9, and even if I didn't really have a problem with MIUI, I've always used Nova Launcher as I'm used to it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37955 posts
5635 upvotes
Winnipeg
theXshape wrote: I've never used a Poco, but they use the same UI, MIUI. I have a Mi 9, and even if I didn't really have a problem with MIUI, I've always used Nova Launcher as I'm used to it.
I have the nova launcher, never got used to it. What do you find it superior over the default launcher?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1137 posts
1427 upvotes
Westmount, QC
It's just the way I customize my phone. Like I said, I've never really played with MIUI as I always go straight to Nova. Did that with my LG G3 and G5.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
252 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
I put in an order for a Redmi NOte 11S - most sites said wouldn't ship to canada, but Dragon X store allowed me to put in the order - here's hoping it ships!
Calgary, AB
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
252 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
cap6pac wrote: I put in an order for a Redmi NOte 11S - most sites said wouldn't ship to canada, but Dragon X store allowed me to put in the order - here's hoping it ships!
Update - 2 weeks after order, they said they can't ship and asked me to cancel my order. At least it looks like I am getting my money back!
Calgary, AB