• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 9:30 am
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17867 upvotes
GTA, ON

Looking for replacement 3M water filter cartridges

It turns out I have been negligent in replacing my water filter cartridges for my RO system. I have a 4-stage RO system that uses the 3M filters but I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells them for a decent price. There was a very old thread from 2011 but figured it was way too old to bring back from the dead. I used Canadian Water Warehouse Ltd last time, and at the time all the cartridges were ~$300, now the same cartridges would cost $515!!!! That's way too much! I'd rather drink tap water and do away with this RO system. I've been Googling trying to find a place. Tried Amazon too. No such luck.

Anyone have a word on the street where I maybe able to find a place that isn't trying to rip me off?

Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17867 upvotes
GTA, ON
Calmuser wrote: at those prices...maybe replace the system?

I just installed this one a couple of months ago:

https://www.costco.ca/Brondell-H2O%2B-- ... 26812.html

works well and the replacement filter prices are reasonable!
What kind of prices you looking at for filter replacements? Costco website doesn't say.

Nevermind, I found it. $85 for all 3 of the carbon filters and $98 for the membrane.
Last edited by chimaican on Jul 10th, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
chimaican wrote: What kind of prices you looking at for filter replacements? Costco website doesn't say.
Yeah its hard to tell on Costco's site.

Here they are from walmart

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/brondell-h ... 0194941131

and

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/brondell-h ... 0194941134

I recall one of them is cheaper at Costco and the other is cheaper at Walmart.

You replace the 3 filters, every 6 months. The tap LED changes color to let you know.

and you replace the RE filter every 24 months.

Edit: guess both are cheaper on Costco now! Before Walmart itself was selling them, now its 3rd party :(
Glad you found them :)
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17867 upvotes
GTA, ON
Calmuser wrote: You replace the 3 filters, every 6 months. The tap LED changes color to let you know.

and you replace the RE filter every 24 months.
Do you find that you have to change it every 6 mths like clockwork (time-based) or is it based by usage?

My current 3M ones is every 6-12mths for the carbon filters and every 3 years for the membrane. But if course they're deathly expensive.

I think I will definitely look into the Costco one. Thanks man! Was it easy to install by yourself? My current one had to be hooked up to the drain pipe.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
chimaican wrote: Do you find that you have to change it every 6 mths like clockwork (time-based) or is it based by usage?

My current 3M ones is every 6-12mths for the carbon filters and every 3 years for the membrane. But if course they're deathly expensive.

I think I will definitely look into the Costco one. Thanks man! Was it easy to install by yourself? My current one had to be hooked up to the drain pipe.
It goes by usage and time-based. From what I read. If you use more, it might indicate to change sooner. But every 6 months it will tell you to change regardless of how much used. I haven't used mine long enough to test this yet.

It was very easy to install, they have an easy to follow video. And yes it will be have to be hooked up to a drain pipe. I didn't..I just bought a really long tube and drain it directly into my sump pump :)

I'm not sure its the best system. But it supposed to not waste as much water as other models and I like how compact it is. Also I liked how easy it was to install. (I know nothing about plumbing)

Hopefully someone can find you cheaper filters. or maybe suggest a better option.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Feb 27, 2007
667 posts
558 upvotes
If it was me and I was looking at a replacement I'd go for the Water Depots Hercules, which is really just a rebadged Vectapure 400NX. It's a bog standard design with incredibly cheap filters, but what they have done is strap a whole home (400 gpd) membrane to it. What that does is take your waste water ratio down to 1:1 and brings it's recovery time to essentially nothing.

I recommend picking one up at your local Water Depot as having someone to call if you have issues is worth something to me and the price is usually the same as ordering online. I don't know if it's carried by any other dealers but if you have a preferred place I'd ask there as well.
Mar 31, 2017
117 posts
72 upvotes
chimaican wrote: It turns out I have been negligent in replacing my water filter cartridges for my RO system. I have a 4-stage RO system that uses the 3M filters but I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells them for a decent price. There was a very old thread from 2011 but figured it was way too old to bring back from the dead. I used Canadian Water Warehouse Ltd last time, and at the time all the cartridges were ~$300, now the same cartridges would cost $515!!!! That's way too much! I'd rather drink tap water and do away with this RO system. I've been Googling trying to find a place. Tried Amazon too. No such luck.

Anyone have a word on the street where I maybe able to find a place that isn't trying to rip me off?

Have you tried Home Comfort at Leslie and Hwy 7? We have a 4 stage 3M RO as well and I don't recall the refills being that expensive. We've have our system close to 5 years and have to replace the cartridges every year or so. From what I remember the 3 regular cartridges run approx $150 there. Had to change the membrane this year and I think all 4 refills was approx $300ish
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
chimaican wrote: It turns out I have been negligent in replacing my water filter cartridges for my RO system. I have a 4-stage RO system that uses the 3M filters but I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells them for a decent price. There was a very old thread from 2011 but figured it was way too old to bring back from the dead. I used Canadian Water Warehouse Ltd last time, and at the time all the cartridges were ~$300, now the same cartridges would cost $515!!!! That's way too much! I'd rather drink tap water and do away with this RO system. I've been Googling trying to find a place. Tried Amazon too. No such luck.

I have the same system from home comfort centre and it's around $40 for each of the 3 filters , haven't replaced the membrane one yet as my system is just under 3yrs old in a 2 person household so they said not required .

Their store is on Leslie just north of hwy 7

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)