[OP]
Apr 4, 2010
393 posts
104 upvotes

Looking for reviews on Chinese made wood fired pizza oven Ie. Thor, NXR,

Hi,

I'm looking at buying one of these:

https://www.tscstores.com/THOR-OUTDOOR- ... 55880.aspx

I know that this style is mainly made in China and has a bunch of different branding badges on them. NXR, Thor, WPPO. Does anyone on here own one? How do you like it? I know it won't be as good as a $4000 version, but is it still workable? How thick is the fire brick on the floor? Does it hold heat long enough to cook bread after you make pizza? Is it well insulated? Does the outside get super hot? Regret buying it or love it?

Thanks,
22 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12082 posts
6965 upvotes
Markham
Are you sure you want one of those? They're pretty big and although it says "Rapid heating time: oven heats in just 5 quick minutes" I very much do not think this is true. If this is a wood fired pizza oven, it'll take close to an hour at least to get to real ready to cook temp. Added to that is effort to start the fire which will burn for way more hours than you'll likely need it for.

For Pizza, Ooni and Roccbox is the way to go IMO, very quick heatup and when you're done, you turn off the hopper.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... ovens.html

There are ovens like that going for around $2k

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Apr 4, 2010
393 posts
104 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Are you sure you want one of those? They're pretty big and although it says "Rapid heating time: oven heats in just 5 quick minutes" I very much do not think this is true. If this is a wood fired pizza oven, it'll take close to an hour at least to get to real ready to cook temp. Added to that is effort to start the fire which will burn for way more hours than you'll likely need it for.

For Pizza, Ooni and Roccbox is the way to go IMO, very quick heatup and when you're done, you turn off the hopper.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... ovens.html

There are ovens like that going for around $2k
Hi,

Yes, I do want a large outdoor oven. I have used a Ooni, but it really is a pizza only sort of device. Can't bake bread, can't make steaks, always need a flame (no heat retention), so it's harder to roast potatoes, do casseroles, etc. A good oven will take an hour to get ready to cook on, I accept that. And if the fire burns for a while, then someone will have to monitor it. Likely with a cold beverage and maybe a book. It's a tough life.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12082 posts
6965 upvotes
Markham
fotoapparat wrote: Hi,

Yes, I do want a large outdoor oven. I have used a Ooni, but it really is a pizza only sort of device. Can't bake bread, can't make steaks, always need a flame (no heat retention), so it's harder to roast potatoes, do casseroles, etc. A good oven will take an hour to get ready to cook on, I accept that. And if the fire burns for a while, then someone will have to monitor it. Likely with a cold beverage and maybe a book. It's a tough life.
Good that you've thought long and made a proper decision. Not sure where you're located...if in GTA, I recommend you go to Dickson BBQ and speak to the ppl there. They sell Pizza ovens like this and they can probably tell you more about them and you can at least touch and feel them.

Good luck.

Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3637 posts
2587 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
fotoapparat wrote: Hi,

If you are handy, you can build a masonry oven, probably for a fraction of the price.
The key is proper thermal mass. Without that, controlling the temperature is a nightmare. Lots of plans available online.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2010
393 posts
104 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: If you are handy, you can build a masonry oven, probably for a fraction of the price.
The key is proper thermal mass. Without that, controlling the temperature is a nightmare. Lots of plans available online.
That was the original plan. My wife (rightfully) has pointed out the other "projects" I have to do before this. She's given the clearance to just put a pre-made. Unfortunately, there are so many different options and not many good reviews that aren't paid content.
Nov 24, 2019
54 posts
32 upvotes
Get a weber charcoal bbq with the wood fired pizza attachment. Works fantastic and is pretty cheap. Plus you get a charcoal bbq out of it
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3166 posts
2136 upvotes
Toronto
I just ordered an Ooni Koda 16. Simple, clean, fast, cheaper than those ovens and great reviews. It’s plenty big enough to bake bread in and with a grilling pan you can do veggies and steaks. But I have a Vision Kamodo grill for that work.

I’ve tried pizza in my Kamodo grill and cast iron under my Bluestars broiler. Looking forward to trying the Koda. 900 degrees, 20 minutes to heat up and consistent heat.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2010
393 posts
104 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I just ordered an Ooni Koda 16. Simple, clean, fast, cheaper than those ovens and great reviews. It’s plenty big enough to bake bread in and with a grilling pan you can do veggies and steaks. But I have a Vision Kamodo grill for that work.

I’ve tried pizza in my Kamodo grill and cast iron under my Bluestars broiler. Looking forward to trying the Koda. 900 degrees, 20 minutes to heat up and consistent heat.
The Ooni's are a cool idea, especially for a small/portable oven. If I was only looking at doing pizza, I'd buy one. My friend has one and I've made ~50 pies on in. You're going to struggle with bread in it. Bread wants radiant heat, not flame heat and the Ooni works as either on or off. You're able to get to 900 in 20 minutes and back down to 70 in 20 minutes. The idea behind a wood fired oven, is to get the temp up for pizza, but to have the oven hold the heat and radiate back (similar to a Kamodo) for other items.

Really looking to see if someone in this community has purchased one of these cheaper Chinese ovens and if they have any comments from actually using it/liking it.

I'll add, that having a big oven seems to be seen as a negative above. If you've ever been to a pizza party/outdoor party at someones house, the oven becomes the focal point. Everyone gathers around, looks at the fire, watches the pizza being made. There is an ambience, it's an event, it's fun. As a family, we spend a lot of time in our yard in the summer. I have a Kamado charcoal grill, propane grill and soon an outdoor wood fired oven.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3166 posts
2136 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with the atmosphere created by having a nice dedicated stone/masonry wood fired oven.

If my Toronto lot was wider than 17' I'd have my Kamodo, maybe a Traeger Pellet (friend just got the 575 and loves it), a wood-fired pizza/bread oven and a propane grill for convenience.

I'm down to just my Kamodo (Vision/Costco). The Ooni will be a nice addition which I can pack up and take to the cottage. I'm also planning to get a small portable propane grill - likely a marine unit - for the back yard. From time to time getting the Kamodo going is a pain in the ass or I'm out of lump charcoal and having a propane grill from time to time is handy. Just don't want them taking up space in the yard.
Sep 15, 2015
676 posts
491 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Lotek9119 wrote: Get a weber charcoal bbq with the wood fired pizza attachment. Works fantastic and is pretty cheap. Plus you get a charcoal bbq out of it
I agree, kettle + black stone/Onlyfire/kettlepizza
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12082 posts
6965 upvotes
Markham
fotoapparat wrote: That was the original plan. My wife (rightfully) has pointed out the other "projects" I have to do before this. She's given the clearance to just put a pre-made. Unfortunately, there are so many different options and not many good reviews that aren't paid content.
Smooth move. >>> Delay stuff and wife says go buy one instead dear!!!

I have a Bakerstone oven (fits over the BBQ) and that's my go to outdoor pizza machine. For around $100, it's a good deal. Pizzas are done in around 3 min unless I crank it which I usually don't.

May 14, 2020
1 posts
Hey there my friend, I’m in the same boat as you. I’m dying to buy a wood fired pizza oven but can’t justify spending $1200-$3000 on one. I’ve seen plenty of options on alibaba.com but I’m unsure of the quality. Have you had any luck in your research? Please please please let me know
[OP]
Apr 4, 2010
393 posts
104 upvotes
Nothing much. The best source of information has been from this listing: https://www.samsclub.com/p/pizza-oven-b ... od21390049

Generally speaking, it sounds like to keep costs down, there is insulation on the top of the oven, but not on the floor. It also looks like they use a thinner firebrick on the floor, which seems to have some issues with cracking. It wouldn't be expensive to replace with proper firebricks. It looks like all these ovens are made from the same manufacturer and just resold with new badges. Not surprising. The higher quality versions will identify what country/facility/builder is making them. Some are still made in China, but they identify that and highlight their own production control measures to separate from these generics.

I wouldn't buy from Alibaba, as the cost to ship will be through the roof. To save on shipping, they're likely to push weight down, which means lower quality and less heat retention.

I'm surprised no one on RFD has bought one of these. Lower quality for a lower price seems to be all the rage.

Thanks,
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12082 posts
6965 upvotes
Markham
fotoapparat wrote: Nothing much. The best source of information has been from this listing: https://www.samsclub.com/p/pizza-oven-b ... od21390049

Generally speaking, it sounds like to keep costs down, there is insulation on the top of the oven, but not on the floor. It also looks like they use a thinner firebrick on the floor, which seems to have some issues with cracking. It wouldn't be expensive to replace with proper firebricks. It looks like all these ovens are made from the same manufacturer and just resold with new badges. Not surprising. The higher quality versions will identify what country/facility/builder is making them. Some are still made in China, but they identify that and highlight their own production control measures to separate from these generics.

I wouldn't buy from Alibaba, as the cost to ship will be through the roof. To save on shipping, they're likely to push weight down, which means lower quality and less heat retention.

I'm surprised no one on RFD has bought one of these. Lower quality for a lower price seems to be all the rage.

Thanks,
WRT to the floor being "thinner", you can likely just add a layer of firebrick to increase the thermal mass. The problem with buying online is you can't see/touch the actual item you're buying. Even finding someone who owns one doesn't necessarily guarantee you will get the exact same thing as they change over time. Gen 1 might be the best and Gen 2 might be worst and Gen 3 might be even worst as prices get competitive and pricing comes down. The old Weber BBQ's were better than the new ones today. The new ones look nicer but I can almost guarantee it's cheaper in quality and materials.

What do you expect for $1300? How high a grade of stainless steel, how much mass/insulation are you going to get in the roof of the oven and on the floor. If you buy it, expect to add mods like beefing up the firebrick in the floor, perhaps adding insulation etc.

Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1237 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I like my ooni pro. People make bread and steak all the time in the pro. I Will try bread one day. The outside metal cannot be touched and kids must stay away. I mean ooni is made in China so I guess it counts?

Regrets umm not really but I’ve never compared to anything else!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3034 posts
3075 upvotes
GTA
porchemasi wrote: I like my ooni pro. People make bread and steak all the time in the pro. I Will try bread one day. The outside metal cannot be touched and kids must stay away. I mean ooni is made in China so I guess it counts?

Regrets umm not really but I’ve never compared to anything else!
Can you let me know where you bought your OONI Pro?

Reading bad reviews on CookStore.ca, even though prices seem slightly discounted, so curious where you got yours, if you care to share.

@gr8dlr, you mentioned Dickson's, it looks like they carry the OONI brand and as you said, probably best to see/touch before purchasing ... And ask questions too.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3034 posts
3075 upvotes
GTA
anshiren wrote: I agree, kettle + black stone/Onlyfire/kettlepizza
and @Lotek9119

Hmm Weber with a KettlePizza?

We have a Weber and debating about the attachment or buying an OONI.

1. Looks like OONI Pro a lot more expensive (realize OONI fans will say it's not the same product etc) altho KP attachment seems expensive for what it is too.

2. Pizzas on Kamado Joe ... anyone else has one, and hitting really high temps for pizzas?

3. Owners of an OONI, can this sit close to the floor or requires to be at table level?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1237 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I bought mine from Williams Sonoma canada Online store 11/3/2019

Order Subtotal: $695.96
Shipping and Handling: $39.95
GST $95.66
PST $0.00
TOTAL: $831.57

My first package inside the oven had some bad machine marks that would not come out in the SS outside shell. I had to drop it off at a CP Facility and they shipped me a new one a few days later and it was in great condition this time around.

Oven works very well. I like it but have nothing to compare it against. 1 full log lasts about 5-7 pizzas with 1-2 tinder sticks every pizza to boost the flame. Gets to 900F in like 20-25mins. I bought a SS cart from Amazon for $140 to keep it on. and a $15 cover from ali express. may get an official ooni pro cover if i find it on sale again.
Jan 12, 2009
72 posts
30 upvotes
The one thing to consider for those looking for pizza on a Kamado is an attachment called pizza porta. It is available for BGE, Kamado Joe and Vision. It has a door style that helps keep the heat in vs when you have to open your lid to take you pizza out. I don't have one, but I've tried pizza's made in one vs a regular kamado. I highly recommend and plan on buying one for myself once the budget allows.