• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 2:03 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11715 posts
7983 upvotes
Edmonton
raptors87 wrote: Wow that's messed up
Welcome to Ontario. Ontario has been very "pro-tenant" for years. Current situation has made it worse, but don't expect it's going to be all that much better in the future.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11715 posts
7983 upvotes
Edmonton
raptors87 wrote: Wow that's messed up

I just checked LTB site for any update

Effective August 1, 2020, the LTB will:

Begin to issue eviction orders that are pending;
Start to issue consent eviction orders which are based on landlord and tenants settling their dispute through an agreement;
Continue to hear urgent eviction matters related to health and safety that are scheduled;
Start to schedule hearings for non-urgent evictions; and
Conduct non-urgent eviction hearings starting in mid-August and into the fall.
I think the two bolded points are relevant to your situation. Keep in mind the LTB was running weeks/months behind even before all this hit.

C
Apr 28, 2016
83 posts
34 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: Hey I already IM'ed you yesterday. Pls check.
Didn't receive anything, can you send it over.
Apr 20, 2018
759 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
CNeufeld wrote: I think the two bolded points are relevant to your situation. Keep in mind the LTB was running weeks/months behind even before all this hit.

C
Right ...understandable to have backlog of applications
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1505 posts
123 upvotes
GTA (West)
donkeyyy wrote: Didn't receive anything, can you send it over.
Just sent
Please thank me if you find this helpful
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1505 posts
123 upvotes
GTA (West)
This is terrible .. the system is heavily in favor of tenants ..
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11715 posts
7983 upvotes
Edmonton
doomhammer wrote: This is terrible .. the system is heavily in favor of tenants ..
Something that should have been researched/considered before handing over the keys to your single most valuable investment to a stranger off the street.

C
Apr 20, 2018
759 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
my tenant just contacted me and asked if she can leave at end of september instead of october when I sent her a 60 days notice a couple weeks ago which i have no problem with that because i''m moving in the condo

is there a form for tenant to sign if they leave earlier than expected?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11715 posts
7983 upvotes
Edmonton
raptors87 wrote: my tenant just contacted me and asked if she can leave at end of september instead of october when I sent her a 60 days notice a couple weeks ago which i have no problem with that because i''m moving in the condo

is there a form for tenant to sign if they leave earlier than expected?
N11 - Agreement to End Lease
http://tribunalsontario.ca/documents/lt ... ms/N11.pdf

Actually, once you've given them an N12 form (you did give them a valid N12 form, right?), they can terminate the lease with 10 days notice:
The Termination Date
Fill in the termination date. The termination date must be at least 60 days after the
date that you give the tenant this notice. Also, the date must be on the last day of the
rental period or, if the tenancy is for a fixed term, the last day of the fixed term.
Once you have given this notice to the tenant, the tenant may end the tenancy on an
earlier date by giving you at least 10 days written notice.
Apparently, the correct process is for the tenant to fill out the N9 form, with their new termination date.
From the N9 form:
The termination date set out in this notice can be 10 days (or more) after the tenant
gives this notice to the landlord if the landlord has given the tenant either an N12 Notice
to End your Tenancy or an N13 Notice to End your Tenancy. The termination date
does not have to be the last day of a rental period.
C
Apr 20, 2018
759 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
yeah I have given the tenant the N12 form

so N9 form
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11715 posts
7983 upvotes
Edmonton
raptors87 wrote: yeah I have given the tenant the N12 form

so N9 form
Yes, tenant fills out the N9 and gives it to you. You'd still be on the hook for the 1 month's compensation.

C
Apr 20, 2018
759 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
yeah I have given her the N12 form.. so do N9 form

so my question is that she get the additional rent from N12... I got the last month rent from her from the beginning and she used the rent i gave her from the N12 to pay for september... she asking for refund of the rent from N12... so do I have to refund the money right?

lol nevermind... you just answered my question :P