Looking to sell off a lot of random collectables

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 9:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
371 posts
191 upvotes

Looking to sell off a lot of random collectables

I didn't know which forum thread to post this so I thought you guys would know best about selling online.

I live in an area where craigslist/kijiji isn't thriving much...

I have a bunch of items I want to get rid of $1000+(total) and I don't know if I should just list them on eBay as 0.99 starting bids or what..
Or should I open an eBay store and pay the fee?
Is it better to sell on Amazon?

Who is going to rip me off the least?

7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
Have you considered finding internet forums that are specific to the genre of collectibles? Ebay is a great option for this but you will obviously pay some fees and may deal with people out to rip you off. The people on these forums will also be able to provide feedback as to where they would look for items.

However I suspect at the end of your day, outside of the genre-specific internet forums, ebay is your best bet if Kijiji has failed you.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2809 posts
928 upvotes
Newmarket
It's not about anyone ripping you off, it's about you knowing what you have (value, condition, does it work), taking nice photos and putting good description. Majority of vintage items are run of the mill with little value, shipping costs exceed the value so selling them is not easy. Rare and collectible will cause a bidding frenzy if you happen to have one of those. Not having a local market is a huge disadvantage, ebay is probably your only option.
I collect, buy and sell vintage cameras, so I have a pretty good idea of how things work.
Dec 23, 2017
33 posts
14 upvotes
I recommend listing on eBay, and do a BUY it now for 30 days. Depending on how much time you want to hold it for.

I usually hold items for 60 days, first I list it 30 days for as high as I think I can get it sold for, then if it doesn't sell within the first 30 days, then I relist it with like 5-30% discount, and if the second 30 days it doesn't get sold, then I just auction it at 99 cents with shipping.

Not worth my time to hold an item for more than 60 days.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
371 posts
191 upvotes
HillEra05 wrote: I recommend listing on eBay, and do a BUY it now for 30 days. Depending on how much time you want to hold it for.

I usually hold items for 60 days, first I list it 30 days for as high as I think I can get it sold for, then if it doesn't sell within the first 30 days, then I relist it with like 5-30% discount, and if the second 30 days it doesn't get sold, then I just auction it at 99 cents with shipping.

Not worth my time to hold an item for more than 60 days.
But don't you have to pay money to list it for 30 days even if it doesn't sell?
Dec 15, 2015
674 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: Have you considered finding internet forums that are specific to the genre of collectibles? Ebay is a great option for this but you will obviously pay some fees and may deal with people out to rip you off. The people on these forums will also be able to provide feedback as to where they would look for items.

However I suspect at the end of your day, outside of the genre-specific internet forums, ebay is your best bet if Kijiji has failed you.
I think this may be the best way to go. Depends on what you're trying to sell though.
Dec 23, 2017
33 posts
14 upvotes
Gord18Stirr wrote: But don't you have to pay money to list it for 30 days even if it doesn't sell?
Hey Gord,

No, it is free (first 50 listings are free), but they will need a credit card or paypal account linked to your ebay to first start selling.
It is safe, never had a problem.

Ebay will get you the most money, I am telling you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5274 posts
3855 upvotes
Edmonton
1) Go to ebay and type in the item you are selling
2) Click on "Show sold items" on the left hand side
3) Go through the sold items and see how much your item sold for
4) List your item with a 30 day "buy it now" (with auto-renew) for the price that the items sold for