• Nov 8th, 2020 3:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9942 posts
4598 upvotes
Toronto

Looking to set up a karaoke system

As per the subject, looking to set up a karaoke system at home.

Anyone has any recommendation? :)
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9942 posts
4598 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried it ? :)
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13962 posts
9045 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
nah! but he looks legit!
Pochacco wrote: Have you tried it ? :)

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 13, 2015
920 posts
1245 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I have a pretty sweet system that I put together on the cheap. Here's what you need:

Speakers and an Amp (or powered speakers) - I'm using some ~20 year old bose bookshelf speakers and an old amp that my parents didn't want anymore.
Mixer - I have the Behringer Xenyx 802 (it's under $100) - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... anguage=en
Microphones - I bought two cheap Nady Starpower mics... but you can obviously spend a lot more to get better quality ones... I forget how much I paid, but I think they were like $25 each when I bought them. You only need one, but it's nice to have two in case two people want to sing the same song.
PC - I'm using a pretty old PC that I don't use anymore. It's my dedicated karaoke PC. I have about half a terabyte of songs on there. You don't need too much of a powerful computer to run the software.
TV - You need a TV to display the lyrics
Computer Monitor - I use an old computer monitor as a second display so that you can load up the next song while the other one is playing.

I also have two mic stands from Rock Band and I bought a $20 disco light from amazon for cool lighting behind the TV.

So that's all the hardware you need. If you buy everything new, it can get expensive... but you probably have some of this stuff and I'm sure you could get speakers and an amp from kijiji for like $100 that would work fine.

Then download the rigmar karaoke collection (it's a torrent... I'm sure you can find it). I think it's like half a terabyte, but it comes in a zip file. (so need ~1tb of space if you want to download the .zip file and then unzip onto the same drive)

I use the OpenKJ software. It's free and it works. https://openkj.org/

That's about it. Then you've got yourself a pretty good karaoke setup. I was at Costco the other day and saw them selling a little karaoke thing for like $250. My setup kicks that crap out of that, and I only had to really spend money on the mixer and mics.

Setup is pretty simple. Computer connects to TV and second monitor. Sound goes from your computer to the input of the mixer (need a 3.5mm to RCA wire)... then output from your mixer to your amp. Connect mics to the mixer. That's it.

edit: I use Nady SP-4C microphones. they are pretty budget, but they sound good enough to me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a similar setup as @BillyBill but instead of a full mixer, I purchased a cheap one similar to this one on Amazon, only difference is that mine came with wireless microphones

https://www.amazon.ca/Festnight-Karaoke ... 07VDS5YYP/

30 year old Bose bookshelf speakers and an old 80s era solid state Fisher amp, all connected to a cheap Intel NUC with dual screens. One to the TV and the other to a 19” touch screen, music is stored on a NAS