None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2285 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for Sil-Glyde

Anybody know where to find Sil-Glyde in the GTA? Planning to change my front rotors and pads this weekend and would like to use this for the caliper pins/sliders. Will use CRC Disk Brake Quiet on the back of the pads.
Nothing to see here folks...
39 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
Napa had some house brand stuff that's basically the same. Comes in a long tube. If you are set on Sil check Kijiji as a few Indy shops sell it.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4646 posts
2216 upvotes
Edmonton
Napa is supposed to sell it I thought, but yes they also have their house brand which is similar... I used the Permatex stuff as it was easier to find.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2285 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
U4IA wrote: Napa is supposed to sell it I thought, but yes they also have their house brand which is similar... I used the Permatex stuff as it was easier to find.
Are you referring to this Permatex lubricant? If so, how's your experience with it? Have you checked the caliper pins/sliders after some time to see if the lube has dried up and/or hardened?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
loonieryan wrote: Are you referring to this Permatex lubricant? If so, how's your experience with it? Have you checked the caliper pins/sliders after some time to see if the lube has dried up and/or hardened?
I'm using this stuff in one of the cars. So far one brushing shows minor swelling.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4646 posts
2216 upvotes
Edmonton
loonieryan wrote: Are you referring to this Permatex lubricant? If so, how's your experience with it? Have you checked the caliper pins/sliders after some time to see if the lube has dried up and/or hardened?
No, I used this one - I havent checked under there since I did them though. It was only a few months ago.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotiv ... nt=Default
Jul 7, 2010
805 posts
107 upvotes
burbs
i've used the green permatex stuff before. works well. im using sil glyde now (bought in US last year). don't notice any difference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2285 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
Ended up finding Sil-Glyde at Napa in Georgetown. The stuff is great. Much better than CRC synthetic caliper grease that I used to use before I discovered Sil-Glyde.
Jun 18, 2006
359 posts
36 upvotes
loonieryan wrote: Ended up finding Sil-Glyde at Napa in Georgetown. The stuff is great. Much better than CRC synthetic caliper grease that I used to use before I discovered Sil-Glyde.
How much was it?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12428 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
5.85 usd plus 8 percent tax is 6.32 USD = 8.56 CAD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6223 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Any high heat lubricant will do, no need to over think the simple.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12428 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
betamaxman wrote: Any high heat lubricant will do, no need to over think the simple.
i dont wanna die.........
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12428 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
i do not wanna pay for caliper everytime i do brakes okay???
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6223 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
qaz393 wrote: i do not wanna pay for caliper everytime i do brakes okay???
True, no one does. I usually keep my vehicles ten or more years and get rid of them usually because I am tired of them, they are always mechanically sound when I sell them. Same calipers on them they came with always. I also only lube when I change the pads out not this once a year silliness everyone seems to advocate nowadays.
Bad brake fluid with water in it is the killer of calipers.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
betamaxman wrote: Any high heat lubricant will do, no need to over think the simple.
Even Petroleum based? Sure it can "work", but soon you will discover the rubber boots will have all rotted out due to reaction with the lube.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6223 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
er34er34 wrote: Even Petroleum based? Sure it can "work", but soon you will discover the rubber boots will have all rotted out due to reaction with the lube.
No evidence so far on the stock ones on my 86 monte carlo ss that I have owned for over 31 years, nor have I ever had that issue on any other vehicle I have owned and I usually keep them a long time.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1729 posts
1558 upvotes
Ottawa
I use this. Purchased at the NAPA store for under $20. You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)