Computers & Electronics

Looking for an SMS service for account verification purposes.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 11:09 am
[OP]
Nov 15, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Looking for an SMS service for account verification purposes.

Hi there,

I’m using a voip number and can send and receive SMS with it. However it cannot be used for account verification purposes. Many networks don’t accept the number.
Any suggestion for an SMS service? I’m looking for a permanent number, does not need to be a free service.

Thank you
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17307 posts
3740 upvotes
Toronto
What about using a speak out sim which has free incoming.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote: What about using a speak out sim which has free incoming.
I travel frequently, so prefer not to deal with SIM
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33803 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I had the same problem and I find that most if not all my services have call in verification. They call me and I just hit any number on the keypad and it verifies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1372 posts
341 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
I'm not sure what you mean by "account verification purposes" but I'm using a Callcentric DID (SMS-enabled) and haven't found a service that doesn't accept it yet (that includes Whatsapp)... Their prices start at $1.95 a month and pay-per-use with $0.015 / min and $0.01 / SMS. They also have an SMS app for both Android and iOS and it works quite nicely
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4642 posts
2908 upvotes
LaLaLand
There is another thread looking for the same thing here,

public-mobile-lucky-mobile-most-afforda ... r-2413278/

I thought that Speakout 7/Eleven service was the cheapest. However, if you are splitting hairs, one poster mentioned Piranha Mobile. It is US$3.50 for the SIM card and a initial top up of $20 (lasts 420 days), total startup, US$23.50/~C$31.25. There is a monthly charge of $0.70 for a Canadian number and incoming calls and texts are free. A Speakout sim is $10 and minimum top up is $25 plus tax (total startup, $40.25) and the maintenance fee is $1.25/month.

The other option is Google Voice, which is free, but it is a US number and must be obtained by getting a code to a US cell or land line - this is usually a deal-breaker. Plus this works with most services.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
batcave wrote: There is another thread looking for the same thing here,

public-mobile-lucky-mobile-most-afforda ... r-2413278/

I thought that Speakout 7/Eleven service was the cheapest. However, if you are splitting hairs, one poster mentioned Piranha Mobile. It is US$3.50 for the SIM card and a initial top up of $20 (lasts 420 days), total startup, US$23.50/~C$31.25. There is a monthly charge of $0.70 for a Canadian number and incoming calls and texts are free. A Speakout sim is $10 and minimum top up is $25 plus tax (total startup, $40.25) and the maintenance fee is $1.25/month.

The other option is Google Voice, which is free, but it is a US number and must be obtained by getting a code to a US cell or land line - this is usually a deal-breaker. Plus this works with most services.
GV is a hit or miss.
I have a GV US number and it's not even accepted to receive SMS verification for creating a new Gmail account???
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4642 posts
2908 upvotes
LaLaLand
vkizzle wrote: GV is a hit or miss.
I have a GV US number and it's not even accepted to receive SMS verification for creating a new Gmail account???
LOL That is like incest. Has this always been the case?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
batcave wrote: LOL That is like incest. Has this always been the case?
I'm not quite sure.
I can use it for 2FA, but it didn't work during the initial account setup.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33803 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vkizzle wrote: I have a GV US number and it's not even accepted to receive SMS verification for creating a new Gmail account???
If you already have a google voice number, the assumption is that you already have a gmail account tied to it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
Gee wrote: If you already have a google voice number, the assumption is that you already have a gmail account tied to it.
Correct, but the GV number shouldn't be restricted for SMS verification to open a new Gmail account.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1086 posts
501 upvotes
spec77 wrote: Hi there,

I’m using a voip number and can send and receive SMS with it. However it cannot be used for account verification purposes. Many networks don’t accept the number.
Any suggestion for an SMS service? I’m looking for a permanent number, does not need to be a free service.

Thank you

I travel frequently, so prefer not to deal with SIM
Do you mean you don't want a physical SIM or any SIM (eg eSIM)?
A Google search of 'text verification service' will yield results.
Sep 29, 2011
162 posts
120 upvotes
Quebec
Crichtonfan wrote: Which service are you trying to authenticate for?
I don't remember which services (it's been a long time) but none of the one I tried worked...
I can maybe give a try again next time I'm asked...
[OP]
Nov 15, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I did some research on Google. Textnow, textplus and other burners would not work.
There are also services where you can “rent” a SIM-based number for 1 time use (around $2/verification). It would work, but seems too risky for me, as your account can be deactivated and banned.

So I ended up ordering a Piranha mobile SIM. It suits my travel needs too.

Thanks everyone for replying
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1967 posts
838 upvotes
Antarctica
Textnow has worked for me for Google, Uber, WhatsApp, apple ID, facebook and banking verifications. Weird it's not working for the rest. But the last time I had to verify was more than a month ago so may be something changed.

Edit: just made a new Google account and used textnow for verification and got an error. Weird. The last google verification for a burner Gmail was on Oct 13. Guess textnow is useless as well now.