Home & Garden

looking for a solution to hang projector screen outdoor

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 10:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1571 posts
242 upvotes

looking for a solution to hang projector screen outdoor

hey guys,

so i have this screen

https://www.amazon.ca/Elite-Screens-Man ... =8-12&th=1

i'm lookin for a solution to hang this in my backyard. So i have 2 post where i can run some sort of string or rope across and then hang the projector on it.

I need help locating this string or rope where it can be mounted and be tight with tension. if you guys can think of something, please suggest.

I was thinking to put a bracket on each post and run a string but i think the string will get lose, so i need something that will be tight.

attached a drawing for reference
projector.png
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
7404 posts
5221 upvotes
Ottawa
Use a clothesline with a turnbuckle or two to tighten.
Jr. Member
Jun 21, 2022
165 posts
155 upvotes
Gta
A couple pieces of lumber with a notch cut in them to support the rope?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1571 posts
242 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Use a clothesline with a turnbuckle or two to tighten.
Hmm yes I think this is a good idea.

Time to find one that’s retractable so once I’m done using it, it can retract back into a box so it’s not always hanging
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4371 posts
3715 upvotes
Toronto
You don't need or even want line across the entire length.

A short length from each metal ring that appears to be on the screen to the post on either end. The short length of rope (any reasonable rope you find will hold this - the screen weighs very little) will be pulled tight and down on an angle due to gravity.

Adjust the length of the ropes to level the screen and you're done.

Just use a small carabiner or simple hook and an eye-screw on the post (assuming it is wood) and you can just clip the screen up anytime you want to use it.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.21.01 PM.png
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
7404 posts
5221 upvotes
Ottawa
snipe2014 wrote: Hmm yes I think this is a good idea.

Time to find one that’s retractable so once I’m done using it, it can retract back into a box so it’s not always hanging
I have a retractable clothesline behind our pool house (for towels and swimsuits). We also have a retractable line in the laundry room. Both use a flexible ss braided cord with the outdoor one being coated in vinyl. They work well but are not as strong as a genuine clothesline. You can use strong carabiner clips on each end and one turnbuckle.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4371 posts
3715 upvotes
Toronto
It also doesn't matter how tight or loose a full length of line is. Same as in my diagram - the screen will pull the line tight with gravity.

A full length simply threaded through the rings on the screen will make it very easy to centre and level the screen. So that is an option, and just a hook / loop on each end of the rope and you can just roll it up and put it away with the screen when not in use.

Don't waste your time trying to eliminate sag in the line with turnbuckles etc - completely unnecessary.

This is a problem with a $2 rope solution.
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.29.00 PM.png
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
7404 posts
5221 upvotes
Ottawa
torontotim wrote: It also doesn't matter how tight or loose a full length of line is. Same as in my diagram - the screen will pull the line tight with gravity.

A full length simply threaded through the rings on the screen will make it very easy to centre and level the screen. So that is an option, and just a hook / loop on each end of the rope and you can just roll it up and put it away with the screen when not in use.

Don't waste your time trying to eliminate sag in the line with turnbuckles etc - completely unnecessary.

This is a problem with a $2 rope solution.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.29.00 PM.png
Unless height of the screen is an issue. If it isn't, you're correct.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17191 posts
11920 upvotes
Markham
torontotim wrote: It also doesn't matter how tight or loose a full length of line is. Same as in my diagram - the screen will pull the line tight with gravity.

A full length simply threaded through the rings on the screen will make it very easy to centre and level the screen. So that is an option, and just a hook / loop on each end of the rope and you can just roll it up and put it away with the screen when not in use.

Don't waste your time trying to eliminate sag in the line with turnbuckles etc - completely unnecessary.

This is a problem with a $2 rope solution.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.29.00 PM.png
Aluminum conduit and rope.

Use a truckers hitch to tighten the line. You could try this without the conduit first to see if it's taut enough for the screen.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1571 posts
242 upvotes
torontotim wrote: It also doesn't matter how tight or loose a full length of line is. Same as in my diagram - the screen will pull the line tight with gravity.

A full length simply threaded through the rings on the screen will make it very easy to centre and level the screen. So that is an option, and just a hook / loop on each end of the rope and you can just roll it up and put it away with the screen when not in use.

Don't waste your time trying to eliminate sag in the line with turnbuckles etc - completely unnecessary.

This is a problem with a $2 rope solution.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.29.00 PM.png
this is really a good and simple solution which i might go with. Any suggestion on the type of hooks i can use?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4371 posts
3715 upvotes
Toronto
snipe2014 wrote: this is really a good and simple solution which i might go with. Any suggestion on the type of hooks i can use?
What are the posts made of? This isn't complicated. Attach short lengths of rope/cable/line to your posts, simple carabiner or hook on the loose end to attach to the rings that appear to be on your screen.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4444 posts
5422 upvotes
If its for a backyard movie night, or two.. I'd just clamp it to the gutters.
My experience, building a structure for a pull down screen is a bad idea (Gravity will screw w/ it) and a waste of $$$ and time.

Secure it to the house, shed, garage or if funds permit I suggest a inflatable screen from Amazon for under 150$.

Good luck mate
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1571 posts
242 upvotes
torontotim wrote: What are the posts made of? This isn't complicated. Attach short lengths of rope/cable/line to your posts, simple carabiner or hook on the loose end to attach to the rings that appear to be on your screen.
it's made out of wood. one end is the fence, the other end of the deck

Top