• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2020 1:37 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
558 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for a sub-sauce recipe

I'm trying to make a decent home made sub sauce.
Anyone think they've mastered one? Please let me know how to make one please.
Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1873 posts
1451 upvotes
1 part Mayo
1/4 part ketchup
1/4 yellow mustard
salt, pepper, cayenne to taste.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4001 posts
3850 upvotes
Toronto
my0gr81 wrote: 1 part Mayo
1/4 part ketchup
1/4 yellow mustard
salt, pepper, cayenne to taste.
That's not what I think of when I think of sub sauce, it's more of an italian dressing type of a deal. I can only assume that's what the OP is aiming for.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12373 posts
7505 upvotes
Italian dressing but thicker and more emulsified: e.g., Kraft Zesty Italian blended with xanthan gum.

3 parts oil
1 part vinegar
salt, pepper
herbs (one or more of oregano, thyme, parsley, basil)
FRESH GARLIC
enough xanthan gum so that it stays on your sandwich
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
558 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
WMPCOT wrote: That's not what I think of when I think of sub sauce, it's more of an italian dressing type of a deal. I can only assume that's what the OP is aiming for.
Yeah, I'm trying to get something like Subway sub sauce since the kids like it so much. thx!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50463 posts
14778 upvotes
ONTARIO
TAZ99 wrote: Yeah, I'm trying to get something like Subway sub sauce since the kids like it so much. thx!
Just get it in the bottle from the grocery store. Shouldnt be too expensive.
Probably a super sized one @ costco if you look hard enough.

But something like lecale is what i imagine. Vinegar, herbs and spices really. I always thought it was a bit of sugar that made it thicker... its not always super vinegary
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Get the store one from maple leafs and reuse the bottle to trick your kids by adding in Italian sauce. They won’t know the difference.

Speaking of home made subs where you guys buy the hoagie bread? I like the kind Mr. sub has soft and a bit chewy. The ones from tasties patties is pretty food but they are far ways just to buy some patties and bread.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12373 posts
7505 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Just get it in the bottle from the grocery store. Shouldnt be too expensive.

But something like lecale is what i imagine. Vinegar, herbs and spices really. I always thought it was a bit of sugar that made it thicker... its not always super vinegary
Yeah a commercial one will have a bit of sugar in it, and milder seasonings (powdered garlic/onion). If you want to make commercial style dressings that are thick and don't separate you really need the xanthan gum (which you can find in the organic, etc. section because some people use it for gluten-free baking. Also Bulk Barn.) Probably would add some red pepper flakes to an adult version, maybe an umami booster like parm cheese.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
558 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
What bottle are you referring to ? Italian Dressing ?
UrbanPoet wrote: Just get it in the bottle from the grocery store. Shouldnt be too expensive.

[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
558 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, I've never seen this! Will check it out ...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4001 posts
3850 upvotes
Toronto
TAZ99 wrote: Thanks, I've never seen this! Will check it out ...
You might be disappointed I know I was, it has been around for ever since I can remember.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12373 posts
7505 upvotes
This is another one, Lynch's

[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
558 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Where do you get this one ?
I'll try your recipe before buying a bottle as well.
lecale wrote: This is another one, Lynch's

Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12373 posts
7505 upvotes
TAZ99 wrote: Where do you get this one ?
I'll try your recipe before buying a bottle as well.
Walmart, Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys but YMMV. Not every store has the full Lynch's lineup. They have a good horsey sauce (horseradish mayo) though.

For the kids I would try just good old Kraft Zesty Italian, even if it leaks all over. The only real advantage of the sub sauce is it's thicker.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29317 posts
14825 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Probably a super sized one @ costco if you look hard enough.
I've never seen anything like it at Costco. Wholesale Club? Sure. Probably something closer there.
Taste wise you'll have better luck at Wholesale Club than grocery stores IMO.
I haven't met a retail brand that's been similar.
To be fair, I haven't met a commercial brand that's identical either....

Supercooled wrote: Speaking of home made subs where you guys buy the hoagie bread?
I bake my own. Bought the silicone trays from Amazon.
lecale wrote: maybe an umami booster like parm cheese.
This would probably work too, but I was thinking just straight MSG.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.