None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for suggestions on hitch mount bike carrier

I'm going to get a hitch (2") for my SUV so that I could carry some mountain bikes (nothing fancy) to trips or nearby bike trails.

Preferably I'd like to get those that swings so that I can access the trunk with bikes already loaded. Is there anything I should watch out for (ie. avoid Kijiji?)? I'd like something that would be sturdy enough without rattles for long trips when needed.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8621 posts
1445 upvotes
They all do roughly the same. The more you pay the better it works (in general). I recommend a platform style rack as it's cleaner and easier to use with less touching. They cost more though.

Swagman offers a lot of functional low price options. I use a Kust Sherpa which is fantastic bit it's $500+ to hold 2 bikes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I'd consider $500+ bike carrier if my bikes cost $500+. I'll check out Swagman, thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
I had a Thule Parkway 957SS and it was VERY solid, but the arms didn't fold out, so I ended up selling it for a Yakima something that does have folding arms.

Comparing the two I can say:

The Thule straps are slightly better than the Yakima
My Yakima uses THREE straps per bike instead of - two at the front of the bike that strap to the top tube and down tube, and one at the back to strap the top tube near the seat - so it holds the bikes a little more securely

In the end, if you are going for a "rack" instead of a platform carrier, make sure that you:

Get a double arm rack instead of a single arm type rack
Get the kind of bike rack that uses straps instead of "clamps"
Get the folding feature(s) that you need
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1060 posts
219 upvotes
Costco. Hitch mount, folds down to access hatch and hold up to 4 bikes. Usually under $100.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
We picked up a Thule at CT a couple summers ago that flips down, but have it mounted on our camping trailer. Works very well, holds 4 bikes. We wanted a flip down as we have a rear slide, and when we stop for a quick stop to sleep or whatever, we just have to flip it down and not remove the bikes.

Very happy with it
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19377 posts
3579 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
OP says "1/2"" which I think means a class 1/2 or 1-1/4" hitch. These do not have the strength for 4 bikes, so they're limited to 2 bike carriers.

Or does he mean he's getting one 2" hitch? Obv there's no 1/2" hitch so I don't know what size?

I have a swagman platform style. Used it on the hitch on my wife's Yaris. Works great. It was just the perfect size that the hatch could clear the post if there was a bike on the outside. If there was a bike on the inside, the hatch wouldn't open. The post folds down if needed so any hatch will clear.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1888 posts
457 upvotes
Have the Thule Helium for 3 bikes. Works well and very light weight.
Will work for 1.25 or 2 inch hitches. No rattling at all. Comes with 2 locks.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: OP says "1/2"" which I think means a class 1/2 or 1-1/4" hitch. These do not have the strength for 4 bikes, so they're limited to 2 bike carriers.

Or does he mean he's getting one 2" hitch? Obv there's no 1/2" hitch so I don't know what size?

I have a swagman platform style. Used it on the hitch on my wife's Yaris. Works great. It was just the perfect size that the hatch could clear the post if there was a bike on the outside. If there was a bike on the inside, the hatch wouldn't open. The post folds down if needed so any hatch will clear.
The Thule we got goes down to a 1/4", which we use on our trailer. And we have 4 bikes. Havent had problems using it camping that last two summers.

It says not to use on trailers becaue you cant see it, but to me, then why have a hitch on the back of a trailer made to carry bikes. In fact there are tons of bike racks on back of trailers with the same setup
May 29, 2007
450 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has them in store right now for $70. I'm thinking of getting one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
i6s1 wrote: OP says "1/2"" which I think means a class 1/2 or 1-1/4" hitch. These do not have the strength for 4 bikes, so they're limited to 2 bike carriers.

Sorry, typo. I meant 2" hitch. Fixed now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CraigLee wrote: Costco has them in store right now for $70. I'm thinking of getting one.
Do you recall which model they have in the store right now?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
I put 4 bikes on my old Thule 1-1/4" rack no problem... it was an ~25 pound rack, so strength is obviously not an issue on a well made rack.

My new Yakima is also running in 1-1/4" mode and will be hauling 4 bikes over the May 24 in a couple weeks.
May 29, 2007
450 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
conix67 wrote: Do you recall which model they have in the store right now?
Sorry I don't. It was an unfamiliar brand. It is a 2" model that has a 1.25" adapter.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19377 posts
3579 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Viperoni wrote: I put 4 bikes on my old Thule 1-1/4" rack no problem... it was an ~25 pound rack, so strength is obviously not an issue on a well made rack.

My new Yakima is also running in 1-1/4" mode and will be hauling 4 bikes over the May 24 in a couple weeks.
It's not the rack, it's the hitch. Class 2 hitches are usually rated to 350max, class 1 even lower. And that assumes that the center of mass is far closer than it is with a bike rack. The center of mass on the rack is far further back than it is with a trailer ball. If you double the distance, you halve the carrying capacity. 4 average adult bikes is probably borderline, 4 downhill bikes is probably over.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
i6s1 wrote: It's not the rack, it's the hitch. Class 2 hitches are usually rated to 350max, class 1 even lower. And that assumes that the center of mass is far closer than it is with a bike rack. The center of mass on the rack is far further back than it is with a trailer ball. If you double the distance, you halve the carrying capacity. 4 average adult bikes is probably borderline, 4 downhill bikes is probably over.
Class 1 hitches are rated for 2000lbs trailer weight and 200lbs tongue weight - http://www.reese-hitches.com/learning_c ... ng-classes
So a 4 bike rack that weighs ~30lbs (like my old Thule...) and 4 downhill bikes at 40lbs each would be borderline.

I don't disagree that the bike rack would put the weight further away from the hitch compared to a hitch ball, but looking at how heavy the class 1 hitches are, and how wide the contact area is with the car, it's obvious that there is a safety factor built into that 200lb figure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for suggestions!