• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2021 5:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2299 posts
886 upvotes

Looking for suggestions - installing a portable AC with a "small" window

As the title suggests, I'm looking to bring in a portable AC unit (into my bedroom). The bedroom itself only has 2 small'ish windows, measuring 15"x15". However the window plates that come with virtually all units (for the air pipe) are much bigger than my window. Even looking for replacement plates show no luck - they're all basically the same size. The only 'semi' doable solution I found was this, although even this is gonna need some "adjustments" to make it work.

Anyone else have any suggestions to get around this situation? Otherwise I'm just thinking to put the pipe in the window and close it as much as possible, putting a piece of cardboard/hardwood around the small remaining gap (not the most ideal of course)
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6072 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
winner2000 wrote: Otherwise I'm just thinking to put the pipe in the window and close it as much as possible, putting a piece of cardboard/hardwood around the small remaining gap (not the most ideal of course)
I've done the cardboard thing. You could wrap it in plastic or something to waterproof it a little and make it stronger. You could also just get a piece of thicker plastic (maybe a plastic office floor protector or something) and cut to fit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
For my daughters room at University I cut a piece of plywood to fit the widow and cut a 6" hole for the pipe.....couple of screws through the plastic end piece on the hose and it held well.

Cut the plywood about 3/4" wider than the window opening, slide it into one sides window groove and then back it out so its in window groove both sides.